English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.Sprites

Old 27 January 2012, 21:58   #1
Conundrum

[REQ] Help with UFO:Enemy Unknown fonts and menus

Hey everyone. Anyone has any idea how can I open and convert amiga font files? I was trying to convert the UFO: Enemy Unknown fonts, but I have no idea how to open the files on the fonts folder.

Please help. I've uploaded the files below:

EDIT/UPDATE:

Fonts ripped, but currently requesting for help to rip some menu graphics here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip xcomfonts.zip (3.2 KB, 552 views)

Last edited by Conundrum; 08 January 2013 at 18:31.
Old 27 January 2012, 22:39   #2
hitchhikr

Copy those into the Fonts directory and use dpaint.
Old 03 January 2013, 18:27   #3
Conundrum

So, after a year, I decided to pick this up again. I successfully managed to load the font on dpaint, as mentioned, but how can I use it to build a simple bitmap fontset? I'm having trouble finding out how to type certain symbols which are not included by default in the english keyboard. Is there any other way I can use this .font file to generate a universal bitmap font?

Last edited by Conundrum; 03 January 2013 at 18:40.
Old 03 January 2013, 20:21   #4
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
I'm having trouble finding out how to type certain symbols which are not included by default in the english keyboard.
For help with that, see this thread: Amiga extended character set.
Old 08 January 2013, 18:28   #5
Conundrum

Thanks a lot. I eventually found out a little program which makes things even easier named FontViewQ, so I guess the author deserves a little recognition here.

Ended up simply writing all characters on Dpaint and eventually converted the .iff to a PNG. Here's the final result:

Additionally, I was also trying to rip the menu and background sprites from the AGA version/CD32 version of X-COM. The menu buttons are very easy to rip, just by taking a simple screen shot while playing, but not the background art. Once again I ventured into GfxRip lands only to get defeated over and over again, so I would kindly like to ask if anyone could rip the space background of this menu. The goal of all of this, is to get all the amiga graphics up and running for an ongoing X-COM remake project, so you would be helping a good cause, here.

Here's the uncompressed save state, by the way. I was having a lot of trouble because of the cracktro graphics clutter in this particular adf version, which made it really hard for me to track the bits that even resembled anything X-COM.
Attached Files
File Type: rar xcomsavestate.rar (618.7 KB, 324 views)

Last edited by Conundrum; 08 January 2013 at 19:13.
Old 08 January 2013, 19:40   #6
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@conundrum

Hello there, you might find more data (graphics etc) from the PC DOS version of the game.

Might I ask, what mischief are you planning with these fonts / graphics ?
Old 08 January 2013, 19:56   #7
Conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
@conundrum

Hello there, you might find more data (graphics etc) from the PC DOS version of the game.

Might I ask, what mischief are you planning with these fonts / graphics ?
We already have the PC-DOS version of the game up and running. I wanted to have the additional amiga graphics to include as well. This is what we're planning, btw.

Last edited by Conundrum; 08 January 2013 at 20:03.
Old 08 January 2013, 20:10   #8
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

You have my humble admiration and support.

I will see what a late-evening graphics ripping will do.

Alternatively you used to be able to contact Jullian Gallop at http://www.lasersquadnemesis.com/

sadly that URL no longer resolves =(
Old 08 January 2013, 20:31   #9
Conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
You have my humble admiration and support.

I will see what a late-evening graphics ripping will do.

Alternatively you used to be able to contact Jullian Gallop at http://www.lasersquadnemesis.com/

sadly that URL no longer resolves =(
Thanks, any help is appreciated. I don't think contacting Gollop would be of any use though, since the amiga port was developed by a different company, if I recall correctly.

EDIT:

Can any of you folks tell me whether this font is an amiga system default or a custom colour font made exclusively for the game? Now that I think of it, we'll need that one too, because OpenXcom already supports fan-made translations, and there doesn't seem to be a corresponding .font file in the game data, like the rest of the game fonts.

EDIT 2:

Actually managed to track the font with gfxrip, but so far I've been unable to properly isolate it:

A little help here, maybe?

Last edited by Conundrum; 08 January 2013 at 21:48.
Old 09 January 2013, 10:16   #10
Joe Maroni

Send a message via MSN to Joe Maroni
background....

palette can´t be found by gfxrip. i recolored it with psp....

EDIT: the font isn´t system default, it is just a graphic....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xcom_bg.png
Views:	640
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	33809  
Attached Images

Old 09 January 2013, 12:59   #11
Conundrum

Thank you very much Joe. I was under the impression the background and the globe were two separate objects. Had I known they were just one, I would have simply taken the time to clear the screenshot I previously provided, myself.

Regarding the font, the gfxrip screen I posted actually seems to contain several mixed fonts, which probably belong to the cracktro. However, one of 'em really looks like the font they used on the menu button. Will try too look into it and see what I can find. Thanks for the help so far.

EDIT:

They both belong to the cracktro, alright. I got confused with how similar the M and the N was with the X-COM menu font.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UFO - Enemy Unknown (1994)(MicroProse)(AGA)(M3)[cr PSG](Disk 1 of 4)_001.png
Views:	711
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	33811  

Last edited by Conundrum; 09 January 2013 at 13:05.
Old 02 July 2013, 10:57   #12
Conundrum

I guess you folks deserve to know what we've been up to, for those who haven't heard yet. Although the amiga graphics are yet to be implemented, our X-COM remake, OpenXcom is now fully playable, and features several enhancements to the original. For the Amiga purists out there, the engine is relies on SDL, which means it can likely be ported to any modern amiga OS. OXC only works with the PC version's game data, though.

Also I recommend you folks to get the nightly, as the stable is now terribly outdated.
Old 02 July 2013, 12:01   #13
BippyM
Global Moderator

You could try Maptapper. I have managed to find a lot of the GFX with it, although they're at different offsets so will take along time to rip
Old 02 July 2013, 13:30   #14
Conundrum

We've already have all the amiga graphics we need, but thanks for the suggestion.
Old 21 November 2013, 13:04   #15
Conundrum

Hey folks. I'm pleased to announce I've finished implementing the amiga fonts in our project. Now these aren't 100% original I, I must warn you. The A500 version of the font had plenty of differences when compared to the A1200 version. The A1200 version also didn't use any outline, relying on drop shadowing to improve readability on brighter screen which was IMO, a poor solution. I essentially opted by going full outline on all screen, and I think it looks great that way. I also created a ton of extra character for both Cyrillic and Greek alphabets, and modified/improved most characters with accents. Here's the final result:

And here's how it looks in-game:

English:

Greek:

Russian:

Portuguese:

Currently it's only available as a mod for OpenXCom, but hopefully it will be implemented as a core feature in future. Here's more info on how to run the mod (OXC only. Not compatible with the original Enemy Unknown).

Again, thanks to everyone who helped me getting the sprites from the original amiga version. This mod couldn't have been made without you.

*EDIT* Also, did you there's already a MorphOS package of OXC available? You can get it here.

Last edited by Conundrum; 21 November 2013 at 13:11.