English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 12 January 2013, 01:23   #1
mojorific

1084s Monitor Switch Fix

I have a 1084S monitor, with the monitor power switch on the front of the monitor. Well, the switch finally gave out, and only stays on if I leave the button depressed on the front.

Does anybody have information or sources on how to repair or possibly hardwire the switch to always remain on?
Old 12 January 2013, 01:28   #2
demolition
Unregistered User

It's probably a small piece of plastic that broke off inside the switch. A lot of 1084s has this problem today. A piece of wire can be used to solder the connectors on the switch together so it's always on.
Old 12 January 2013, 02:28   #3
mojorific

I found this thread. Someone looking for the same thing.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=43296

What wires would you wire up to permanently leave it on?
Old 12 January 2013, 02:52   #4
demolition
Unregistered User

I haven't tried it with that particular monitor, but have done it with another monitor which had a faulty power switch. I'd take it apart to get to the bottom side of the PCB where the switch is. Then I'd measure out the pins to see which two are shorted when the button is in. It might also be two pairs that needs to be shorted if they are disconnecting both AC lines.
Old 12 January 2013, 08:15   #5
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

The switch Commodore used for the 1084S is identical to a model of Philips TV, I just can't remember which one but the parts are still commonly available.
Old 15 January 2013, 17:34   #6
mojorific

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
I haven't tried it with that particular monitor, but have done it with another monitor which had a faulty power switch. I'd take it apart to get to the bottom side of the PCB where the switch is. Then I'd measure out the pins to see which two are shorted when the button is in. It might also be two pairs that needs to be shorted if they are disconnecting both AC lines.
I opened it up and measured the current across the wires. It has 4 pins with 4 wires. There was current across 3 different wires when the switch was pushed in, and then across 2 when it wasn't.

I don't know what kind of switch this is, but it has got me confused. I ended up just black taping the switch in to keep it on at all times with the switch pushed in. Now, when I plug it in, it stays on all the time.

I know its not a pretty hack. I'll try and research this type of switch more to see what it actually does.
Old 16 January 2013, 03:16   #7
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojorific View Post
I opened it up and measured the current across the wires. It has 4 pins with 4 wires. There was current across 3 different wires when the switch was pushed in, and then across 2 when it wasn't.

I don't know what kind of switch this is, but it has got me confused. I ended up just black taping the switch in to keep it on at all times with the switch pushed in. Now, when I plug it in, it stays on all the time.

I know its not a pretty hack. I'll try and research this type of switch more to see what it actually does.
Switch is a DPST ( Double Pole Single Throw )
Old 16 January 2013, 10:24   #8
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

If you cannot figure out on your own which wires to short, just by looking at it, I think you should leave this job to someone who can ;-)

Anyway, just short each side/end of the switch that has one wire going to the mains and one going to the psu..