English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 22 July 2010, 22:23   #41
mjnurney

Anyway uploading some pics (not very exciting) to imagehost

i have a couple of better ones but iphone refuses to give them up!
http://h.imagehost.org/view/0617/IMG_0037
http://h.imagehost.org/view/0308/IMG_0036
http://h.imagehost.org/view/0006/IMG_0033
http://h.imagehost.org/view/0701/IMG_0032
http://h.imagehost.org/view/0876/IMG_0031

So Aros works well but UAE (for me) is very poor because of the sound and as i have to wait for an adaptor to arrive for my dvd drive (laptop to sata) so i cannot upgrade or change Aros to X Amiga or Linux or heaven forbid windows xp and try UAE on those systems..
Old 23 July 2010, 00:31   #42
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

USB stick ?

I have made many a bootable/installables from USB (not Amithalon) but plenty of Linux and XP -

all you need is a 2gig pen drive and VWOM! done in 20 minutes =)

last one I made was Ubuntu 10.4 and its was a superfly dream - alas it was on a laptop with integrated ATI x1100 graphics and well.... lets just say ATI suck at supporting linux.
Old 23 July 2010, 08:14   #43
mjnurney

yes i may go via usb stick and try a different os
Old 23 July 2010, 10:57   #44
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

I was quite taken with Ubuntu - that worked on everything pretty much everything outa the box - The only thing it didn't support is 3D acceleration (thanks to ATI) and the SD Card input of the Laptop.

The above is also true for Fedora 11, however theres somthing broken with Fedora 12 and 13 as I couldn't get it to work with the domain... even after two days and forum trolling I still couldn't get it to play ball... it could use wireless / hardline internet - but couldn't access the work group.

Now a Funny thing neither of these heavy weight *Nix distros used the Acer5100's touchpad.. even after hunting synaptics (not the viri company) for and installing it... no dice and no go...

However... ICAROS.... complete support and works a treat!!!!! hows that!!!

I am just a tad miffed at ATI's distinct lack of *Nix support for pretty much any of thier gfx card chipsets - even their flag-ship cards are poorly supported and their itegrated graphics chips support.... well.... I doubt the X1100 or M2/3 series will ever get an official release.

I even attempt to install the *suposed* X1100 cataliyst linux drivers... but they are broken by design and totally f'd up Fedora to the point where I had to re-install it.

In the end I found Ubuntu to be a good distro for -off the shelf compatability- I am sure if I spent more time with the right linux distro but to be honest had it of been an NVidia card in the Acer then this would not be a problem.

from their website
Quote:
Automated installer and Display Drivers for X.Org 6.7, 6.8, 6.9, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, or 7.4

The drivers above support English only.
The display driver requires POSIX shared memory to be enabled on the system.
Kernal Sources package is no longer required if Kernel Header package is installed.
I even found a petition online- petitioning ATI to make proper functional Linux Drivers for their cards.
Old 23 July 2010, 11:17   #45
Jimbo

If you just want to test a version of UAE on your machine. I would goto amigasys as they have a bootable linux USB stick download just for E-UAE. As for Ubuntu, meh I would use Mepis if I were you. Ubuntu is ok, but it gets more like windows everyday ie bloaty it also uses a lot of test software. Mepis is based on stable and is just what it says. Anyway amigasys linux live usb stick download:

http://amigasys.ultimateamiga.co.uk/live.html

@Zetr0 http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php/Smxi if you grab this script it will install the graphic drivers for you, as long as its supported by the xorg version.

The sgfxi script automatically downloads and installs the kernel headers and every thing else it needs. This script downloads the binary graphic driver installers from either nvidia or ATI, prepares system, installs, then sets up xorg.conf, all in a fairly clean, reasonably intuitive way. Plus it updates itself so any new drivers released will be installed. Finally, sgfxi allows you to easily switch between proprietary non free drivers like ATI's fglrx and nVidia's nvidia driver and the free xorg drivers.
sgfxi can be run with numerous options. Enter sgfxi -h to see all the options and check the sgfxi Manual at the documentation links below.

Handy program for all Linux users. Got me out of trouble plenty of times, you can even restore the old drivers if you mess up.

Last edited by Jimbo; 23 July 2010 at 11:32.
Old 23 July 2010, 13:57   #46
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

I've just recently loaded AROS up off a USB stick on my Acer D250 Netbook. It runs very quickly, the sound is quite buggy, I had volume levels set in AHI, but it seems undividual programs and games can change the sound level. At one point I loaded up a game and it nearly killed my eardrums. I've not had change to get it running online just yet, but overall the small time i've had with it this last week had been quite fun. My Netbook normally boots into Ubuntu and although AROS doesn't compare so well to that, its nice to play around in a system so familiar to Classic Amiga. If they get Wifi sorted soon and do something about the sound issues then I think it would be quite useable. I will be tinkering a bit with it from now and have my eye on its progress.
Old 23 July 2010, 19:29   #47
mjnurney

okay latest update...

Format and installed windows 7 and the latest UAE version.

results...

full screen or windowed - full sound and smooth game play.

the latest build of UAE has com eon a lot since i last used it, better GUi and far more options.

So i dont know what the problem is with Aros or UAE in Aros but there is a serious sound issue on the Atom 330 boards that is not a cpu speed issue but i suspect a bug in Aros or UAE (J-UAE and E-UAE)

as for speed on the Atom 330 , it boots windows 7 very quickly and does everything from the disk without extra drives - so no complaints here.

I like AROS but until UAE is sorted im sticking with Bill gates and his team, sorry

I tried to install X-Amiga but no joy with sata hard drives it seems , didnt see the usb stick either - oh well
Old 23 July 2010, 19:35   #48
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi mjnurney,

Perhaps you ought to submit a bug report to the AROS team, or at least refer them to this thread.
Old 23 July 2010, 19:47   #49
mjnurney

i would but apart from saying i had a problem, i dont actually know whats at fault? Aros or UAE?
Old 23 July 2010, 19:55   #50
Jimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjnurney View Post
i would but apart from saying i had a problem, i dont actually know whats at fault? Aros or UAE?
Did you try a nightly build? You might have better luck

http://aros.sourceforge.net/download.php#nightly-builds

They contain the latest code which the main downloads might not.
Old 23 July 2010, 20:12   #51
tero

@mjnurney
I see you posted on aros-exec too, if you look around there you will find talks that the problem may come from sdl (aros-uae is based on). There are sdl-games with that issue too.
Old 24 July 2010, 04:35   #52
Xenon

Icaros website:

www.icarosdesktop.org

Works like a charm, real Amiga running in x86 machines
Old 24 July 2010, 05:45   #53
Hewitson

Real Amiga?

There is absolutely nothing real about this setup at all.
Old 24 July 2010, 07:28   #54
rockersuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
Icaros website:

www.icarosdesktop.org

Works like a charm, real Amiga running in x86 machines
Hi Xenon!
Have you had any progress with the #8000010D editor crashing issue? I'm still fighting against it with no results ^_^'

--
Old 26 July 2010, 09:29   #55
ArcadeHeart

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockersuke View Post
Hi Xenon!
Have you had any progress with the #8000010D editor crashing issue? I'm still fighting against it with no results ^_^'

--
Damn, I've the same problem on my acer aspire 5520, but while I set the post installation configuration