English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 25 July 2007, 00:13   #1
rave
Amiga's made me who I am.

Post Bufferd IDE interface woes

Hi guys,

Im using a buffered IDE interface, with a compact Flash adapter, on the primary port, and a laptop CD-ROM on the secondary with my A1200.
the first one I bought went up the spout an amigakit very graciously replaced it, i'm now on my second one and the same thing has happened, After a while (bout a month) this one has died too.
Amigakit support have said that they have had a few people experience this problem when using CF and an interface, I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this problem???
Are there any possible solutions or shall I just go back to using a standard IDE drive?
I would prefer not too as I have nodified my A1200 to acommodate a lappy CD-ROM and a HDD, but if I must!
Old 25 July 2007, 00:45   #2
fc.studio
Cat lover

I just tried this configuration with Flash adapter on the primary port and an external CD-RW drive on the secondary port. My A1200, with IDEFIX installed, worked fine.
However, cause the limited capacity of my 256MB Dane-Elec compact flash, I replaced soon the card with my original 2,5" Hard Drive. Sincerly, I don't know if about 1 month of intensive use could cause troubles.
Old 28 July 2007, 14:30   #3
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Hmm, mine first one appeared to have shat itself at one stage and then started working again before Amigakit even got a chance to reply to my email. This also happened with the other one I later installed in my towerised A1200.

They have both been working perfectly ever since and I've no idea at all why it happened in the first place

The symptoms that appeared with both interfaces were more or less identical, they simply didn't seem to be able to recognize the CF "hard drive" after a short while.
But, the odd thing is that when plugging a drive straight to the motherboard IDE interface it didn't seem to work either.
A couple of hard restarts & plugging everything back in as it should be worked & no problems since.
I think maybe I screwed up the jumper settings or tried two different HDDs on the primary channel, one master one slave...this doesn't work...well, it can, but takes a fair bit of dicking around software-wise.

Stupid question time, but they didn't seem to "die" around the very same time you installed IDEfix did they?
I found that letting it install stuff to the startup sequence and run IDEfix before the installation was actually completed basically rooted everything! Zetro warned me about this for the A600, but I also found the same issues with my A1200.

Maybe that helps, maybe not...hopefully something though...

PZ.