English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.OtherUAE

Old 12 January 2011, 14:51   #21
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreedo View Post
Unfortunately even if you own the game backups are still illegal, as your making copies of the disk. Not that Sony will ever know that. :P I certainly dont see anything wrong in it if you already own the game. If my disk broke i would be glad of a copy, luckily blu-ray disks are stronger than DVD's it seems.
Is it illegal to make a backup copy of something you own? I'm not sure, maybe because I've never looked into it.

Quote:
UPDATE: Seems that Sony have filed a restraining order against Geohot and Failoverflow asking them to remove the firmware and key from the internet.
Barbra Streisand.
Old 12 January 2011, 14:57   #22
Dreedo

Clearly Sony saying they were working on Firmware updates to fix the security was a load of rubbish, or they wouldn't have gone to court. But most likely this will be a big blow to the homebrew scene, im guessing the court will rule in Sony's favour given what the hackers have actually done. Also the fact that they can basically destroy your console will scare a lot of people away.
Old 12 January 2011, 15:01   #23
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
UPDATE: Seems that Sony have filed a restraining order against Geohot and Failoverflow asking them to remove the firmware and key from the internet.
http://psx-scene.com/forums/f6/sony-...t-files-75467/
Courtesy of Duke on IRC.
Old 12 January 2011, 15:08   #24
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Clearly Sony saying they were working on Firmware updates to fix the security was a load of rubbish, or they wouldn't have gone to court. But most likely this will be a big blow to the homebrew scene, im guessing the court will rule in Sony's favour given what the hackers have actually done. Also the fact that they can basically destroy your console will scare a lot of people away.
Lol, I think you need to do some more research before you post.

This will not be a big blow to the homebrew scene trust me, the Xbox 1 is still going strong despite being a very much inferior machine.

Sony will not necessarily get the courts to rule in their favour, the "hackers" haven't actually done much wrong. We'll see tho.

Quote:
Also the fact that they can basically destroy your console will scare a lot of people away.
Who can destroy your console?
Old 12 January 2011, 15:13   #25
Dreedo

Sony can stop your console from booting up if they detect you've hacked it, it says in the PS3's T&C's.

As i've said before, you don't actually own the console AFAIK, all games consoles are still the property of the manufacturer, and they can do with them as they please.

I dont see how the XBOX 1 is related, MS didn't really try to stop them did they?

Appears that Failoverflow have already complyed anyway, they have removed the PS3 development tools from their site.

Last edited by Dreedo; 12 January 2011 at 15:23.
Old 12 January 2011, 15:24   #26
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Sony can stop your console from booting up if they detect you've hacked it, it says in the PS3's T&C's.
No they can't, prove it.

Quote:
As i've said before, you don't actually own the console AFAIK, all games consoles are still the property of the manufacturer, and they can do with them as they please.
It's not the property of the manufacturer, it's the property of the End-User.

Quote:
I dont see how the XBOX 1 is related, MS didn't really try to stop them did they?
You said and I quote "most likely this will be a big blow to the homebrew scene" and I said "This will not be a big blow to the homebrew scene trust me, the Xbox 1 is still going strong despite being a very much inferior machine.". What I mean by this is despite what happens in the future, there are millions of PS3's out in the wild which all have the capabilities of having homebrew on them, this is what will keep homebrew going. The xbox 1 is dead as far as MS is concerned but homebrew is still alive and kicking on the xbox 1 same as it will on the PS3.
Old 12 January 2011, 15:28   #27
Dreedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by A PS3 Homebrew Site
Sony has yet to ban any consoles for taking advantage of the jailbreak, but the terms and conditions of the PlayStation Network make it clear that Sony has the authority to carry them out. Thanks to the system’s constant self-reporting feature, “the company even has the means to irrevocably disable your console should it so wish,” rendering affected PS3 consoles unusable, online and off. But will Sony ever use such a drastic measure? And if so, how will the hacker scene retaliate?
They seem to think its possible. I wouldn't put it past Sony to do something like this, the PS1 and PS2 were the most widely hacked consoles. Only makes sense to take it up a step.

I'm guessing Sony will have the right to disable consoles if they can prove they are pirating games, Sony are probably under a lot of pressure from game developers to take action.
Old 12 January 2011, 15:36   #28
seuden
uber cool demi god

Terms and conditions mean shit when it comes to something you've physically bought. I can do what the heck I want with my PS3. I'd be stupid to access the PSN store if I hacked it, I'd then deserve for it to be disabled.

The PS3 has a HUGE amount of potential when it comes to homebrew, it's an awesome bit of kit for the price you pay. It makes sense to have two, one for homebrew (Media Centre, emulators etc etc) and one that's legit (if you're interested in playing online).

Quote:
I'm guessing Sony will have the right to disable consoles if they can prove they are pirating games, Sony are probably under a lot of pressure from game developers to take action.
No! They have the right to take you to court and disable you from the PSN network if they suspect you are pirating games.

Last edited by seuden; 12 January 2011 at 15:52.
Old 12 January 2011, 15:39   #29
Dreedo

Indeed, I'm just saying a lot of people will still want to have their PS3 online, even if you dont have a PSN account or ever access online gaming or the PS store, your console still reports to Sony, so you won't ever be able to have your console online, that is until the hackers come up with a way to get past it.

Mmmmm 2 PS3's is a little out of my price range, its stupidly priced as it is. :P
Old 12 January 2011, 15:53   #30
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
its stupidly priced as it is. :P
It's not really. You couldn't buy the components individually for less, I'm sure.
Old 12 January 2011, 15:55   #31
Dreedo

Well then they should have used different components

Thnik were going a bit off of UAE though.
Old 12 January 2011, 16:18   #32
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Thnik were going a bit off of UAE though.
Agreed, so the answer to "Will we see UAE on the PS3?" for me is yes.
Old 12 January 2011, 16:24   #33
Dreedo

oh i have no doubt there will be its just if theres many people around to use it lol

ouch geohot & failoverflow are being asked to pay Sony damages and attorney fees also. As well as an amount deemed appropriate by the court

Last edited by Dreedo; 12 January 2011 at 16:31.
Old 12 January 2011, 16:58   #34
deicidal
Registered Insane

Should be interesting to see what happens personally i think it could either way. Then again Sony just serve people willy nilly the moment someone does something they like or not regardless of wether they have any proof. Look at when the first jailbreak usb stick got released they attacked the company for using there copyrighted code even though none of it was on the device they just went for it anyway.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12171423

Last edited by deicidal; 12 January 2011 at 17:04.
Old 12 January 2011, 17:18   #35
Dreedo

Mmmmm guess we just wait and see. Regardless of this there probably will be bannings from PSN
Old 12 January 2011, 18:47   #36
BippyM
Global Moderator

The hacking seems a bit complex to me lol.. I can't be arsed with it.

As for homebrew, of course it'll happen, they have already figured out how to launch some games without the need for a BM. They will also figure out how to fool the PSN into thinking you are using a legit machine.. It all takes a bit of time.. Unlike the 360 they have managed to completely open the PS3 now, and I reckon sales of the machine will rocket for a short period.

Expect the next PS3 model/revision to have this shut down somehow!
Old 12 January 2011, 19:32   #37
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Thread

Under UK copyright law, you are afforded the statutory right to backup you computer software media. However this statutory right is NOT afforded you the right to back up your Music or Movie media (funny that)

When you think a new titles cost is about £50 - that is a serious investment and by law you are entitled to protect that investment.

There are a lot of assumptions made with law and contracts that tout Terms and Conditions - a lot of people seem to believe that these T&C's are legally binding irrespective of what they say - Nothing could be further from the truth -

Contracts cannot by law demeanor or remove any of your statutory rights. Even if the terms and conditions say so - its illegal and in the worse case (with lots of consumers involved) a class action can be brought to company.

A point to mention was Micro$oft's culling of XBox 360's from XBox live - while they have the right to remove the service from you - they DO NOT have the right to brick your XBox - a fact over looked in the UK and since no one has taken M$ to court over this matter then they get away with.

PSN is a quite a bit of a different beast - and $ony's own track record of releasing damaging firmware is a problem in their own right lol. I dont think the infrastructure is there for them to be able to detect / deny and or effect a console (or computer) connected to their network. In truth I dont think $ony want to pay for it either.
Old 12 January 2011, 19:39   #38
seuden
uber cool demi god

I love you Zetr0.
Old 12 January 2011, 19:46   #39
Dreedo

Well Sony won't give a damn about people pirating games, except their own of course. Sony's problem is that game developers will be put off developing games for their system if its easy to hack. If there was an unhackable console out there, that would be the one with the most games because game developers would know that they would maximize their profits. So Sony have to give a damn because the developers give a damn, and what the developers want, Sony has to deliver.

Thats why Wii games suck, because its the easiest console to hack and Nintendo don't give a damn about people hacking it. Well that's my theory. :P
Old 12 January 2011, 19:55   #40
BippyM
Global Moderator

Well I have created the custom firmware, I have a PS3 upstairs that potentially has a fuxxored NAND. I'll try it

I am not gonna do mine though, I am more than happy with it being the way it is, and if I can get the other PS3 working it'll go in the kids room and be an offline only machine.