English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad > project.Killergorilla's WHD packs

Old 02 March 2006, 19:44   #1
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

WHDload update packs... update!

I've just finished uploading the latest pack...
see > http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=230624

and I just wanted to give you an update on what's going on!

As you may have noticed I ran a poll called "Pick one..."
see > http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=22068

Well the people who voted, unwillingly took part in deciding which pack I'll completely re-do next.
The missing letters from the alphabet (P,X,Y,Z) have all been done already - as have the letters U,V and Q since I started the poll (They were small and I had some spare time).

However it's not going to be very soon, in fact my next pack is likely to arrive at least a month late as I'm in my last month of my last year at uni so I have a very busy schedule and a lot of deadlines coming up. But I haven't forgotten about redoing the packs.

Just thought I'd let you know, so I shouldn't be getting any "where is march's pack?" topics cropping up in a month I will be doing the pack it'll just come later
Old 02 March 2006, 20:36   #2
narud17

Good luck at uni KG i'm sure we can all wait while you do the things in life that are really important (not that the packs arn't but i doubt you're gonna make a living out of them )
Old 02 March 2006, 21:55   #3
rbelk
an old bsd'er

Send a message via AIM to rbelk Send a message via Yahoo to rbelk
Thanks for the time you spend on these killergorilla....
Old 03 March 2006, 01:53   #4
mr_0rga5m
Tik Gora :D

Busy schedule ?? .. Uni ?? .. pffft !! .. Cutting into your drinking/shaggin time eh ??

We appreciate the packs mate thanks
Old 03 March 2006, 06:49   #5
EmuChicken

no worries, KG! , get them exams/ assignments out the way... after you graduate you'll realise how useless uni actually is for getting a job!
Old 03 March 2006, 09:09   #6
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Hey, everyone is just grateful for the work.. worry not about "timetables" when real life is out there too. Good work!
Old 03 March 2006, 09:28   #7
keropi

giga-thanx for all the time u'll spend - have spent!
Old 03 March 2006, 09:31   #8
cooldude

Cheers KG good luck at Uni. We all appreciate the UD's.

Stay Awhile....Stay Forever!!
Old 04 March 2006, 04:00   #9
Slayer
Amiga Member

excuse my entire ignorance here but I take it you are redoing the older game pack releases.

simply to rename the individual archives with your new style reference system?

and possibly a margin of better compression as a side benefit?

I'll inquire before dl
Old 04 March 2006, 13:39   #10
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Hehe,

no worries

Basically I'm reinstalling all the packs again, not just unpacking, repacking and renaming.

This is for a few reasons:

1 - a lot of the older packs have icons that are newer than newicons so do not show on my system, when I install the game I always use a newicon so I never get any little black/white boxes.

2 - a lot of the games now have 100% verified CAPS/SPS releases whereas some of the older games are installed from cracked adfs/altered disk images etc.

3 - a lot of the icons have their tooltypes messed around with, I tidy these up, including any CUSTOM tooltypes (with a description) - putting them in brackets so the user can simply enable them without adding them manually.

4 - It means I can trim the size of the site by quite a bit as there will be no different versions of the same game (to start with anyway - we'll see about the further updates afterwards).

5 - Zip is much easier for me to work with, having decent support on both PC and Amiga.

6 - The naming convention in my opinion is so much easier on the eye and gives more information to the user.

So there ya go!

Also... I'd still like to say a massive thanks to DeCreator in the first place, even though I'm redoing his packs, I'm still using a lot of the files from his installs and I wanted to thank him again for his efforts.

Old 04 March 2006, 17:05   #11
Npl

Hmm, for Points 1-3:
I actually used this sheme myself (well, not quite 100% strict as I dont search for newicons if they arent included in the install and I gave up adding all custom-options to the Tooltypes). I also additionally add a CAPSID - File containing the ID of the Disks used for that install (usefull info incase there were/willbe multiple versions). Everythings then packed up in lha without modified highscores or such alike.

Im nowhere near complete like you try to be with your Packs (284 Installs ATM), but I could run a script to recompress it into zips - it would be a nice Headstart for you.
Old 05 March 2006, 06:16   #12
Slayer
Amiga Member

If KG is anything like me he'll have to do it all on his own... it's the only way to be sure... one of the disadvantages of being a mateculous SOB... heh

but I am sure he'll be able to tell you this himself

and thanks KG for the extensive elaboration about intended procedures
Old 05 March 2006, 10:03   #13
BippyM
Global Moderator

Yes I too would rather do it all myself if starting again from scratch!

Only way to be certain!

KG: Take as long as you need.. your studies and future are far more important than a few dodgy eab'ers
Old 05 March 2006, 10:18   #14
DeCreator

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
Also... I'd still like to say a massive thanks to DeCreator in the first place, even though I'm redoing his packs, I'm still using a lot of the files from his installs and I wanted to thank him again for his efforts.

No problems mate thanks for taking over the reigns on this, I just would not have the time for it (or the patience) to redo the packs.

Also at the moment I am transfering my DJ mixes from MiniDisc to PC and have to do it in realtime unless I buy a HiMD unit and transfer 1st to that then to PC which may be better as I would get a digital copy.

Old 05 March 2006, 20:02   #15
Npl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer
If KG is anything like me he'll have to do it all on his own... it's the only way to be sure... one of the disadvantages of being a mateculous SOB... heh
That would be okay, and I would understand that.
But even you as meticulous SOB sometimes take the easy way avoiding the dictionary
Old 05 March 2006, 20:39   #16
Slayer
Amiga Member

>But even you as meticulous SOB sometimes take the easy way avoiding the dictionary

there is an interesting story about this which I've just confirmed... I used to spell it incorrectly with an a as in maticulous... but someone relatively recently said it was with an e but I guess I mixed it up and changed the i instead of the a...

but nevermind, I didn't realise I had annoyed you... but now I know exactly what type of person you can become!
people shouldn't correct grammar/spelling when it is clearly obvious what the word was intended to be/convey... it is rather stupid since the media lends itself to errors...

to suggest I or KG are less meticulous because we do not ensure our forum messages are written correctly is completely bonkas!

that would be like me saying you are less wiser than me at age 26... although it is probably true it is a stupid thing to say and as with anything in this realm, purely speculatory... perhaps that isn't even a word... heh

next we'll be discussing what is clearly a spelling mistake and what is probably a typo and can be overlooked... but we both know the answer to why it was an issue in the first place...

now you've annoyed me Npl... I sincerely hate bothering to convey wisdom across this media... it is bound to be misunderstood... heh... and also, on the same par, spend too much energy typing this...

but on subject... YOU GO KG
Old 05 March 2006, 20:58   #17
Npl

It was just a cheap shot at beeing sarcastic as you claimed yourself to be overly precise, but well...

I only knew the spelling because I had to look up the word myself (it wouldnt have made a difference if you spelled it right, as I was looking for the meaning and not the spelling).
Old 05 March 2006, 21:07   #18
Slayer
Amiga Member

cool bananas then...

your response was more accidental sarcasm that intentional... this makes all the difference

well now you can be one of the few that use meticulous from time to time...
Old 05 March 2006, 21:12   #19
Npl

I guess I am meticulous, but usually my laziness (Its no coincidence you wont find long replies for me) gets me back to a level you could consider normal.
Old 08 March 2006, 12:58   #20
Anubis
Retro Gamer

KG,
good luck with your finals!