English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 15 July 2003, 07:00   #21
IFW

I've read the official press release.
It is basically saying - translated from English to English - that what you found so far on the internet for free for the C64 you'll be paying for big time very soon. It will also turn c64 emulators into branded products or pursue them legally. Same goes for any hardware addons or machines like C=1.
The only point they are making is to have a royalty from anything sold for c64, pretty much like the gif patent fiasco. (we use png now, but you just can't turn yor c64 into something else so changing to png won't happen this time)
And to turn free communities into dead-cow-milking opportunity.

The rest is an encouragement to potential investors and/or shareholders pointing out that the c64 fan base is easy to milk, and anyone not joining will be shut down, so no chance of getting anything for free anymore.

This is true of course if it happens before Tulip goes bust - hopefully before they can pull it off.
Even if it happens I suggest not to pay for any such "service" (like downloading cracks) as you are encouraging and paying for legal actions against "unofficial" sites if you do, and attract further financial interest. This will spread faster than a virus in that case, and soon you'll find you are paying for Spectrum, Atari, and even ZX81 programs too.
If you want to pay for anything c64 buy c64 addons, support poor emulator authors with shareware fees like the CCS64 guy, register scene/new/remastered/enhanced games like Newcomer and help dumping and scanning projects.
Or find the original authors of the games and pay them directly, they were quite often ripped-off, and all the ip belongs to them for real.

Actually we have discussed this possibility in caps several times, and my opinion was that it is going to happen.
I wish I was wrong

http://www.tulip.com/aboutus/corp_article.asp?nid=109

note: this is my personal opinion others may join it though

Last edited by IFW; 15 July 2003 at 07:07.
Old 15 July 2003, 07:06   #22
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Roll eyes (sarcastic)

As for protecting the brand name....hands up all those who were even aware that there were still Commodore products out there?

Yes it might still be a registered trademark, but if you were trying to sell computers today,would you use a brandname thats' associated with either old '80's 8bit computers, or vaguely recalled being a '90's company that went broke during the death of the home-computer market & subsequent rise of the modern all purpose Wintel desktop market that exists today?

Commodore the worldwide entity.(& the "classic" Amiga),both IMO died in 1994,as a recognised computer format/competitive force.
Old 15 July 2003, 07:11   #23
IFW

Commercially dead, yes.
But if you can turn all the hobbyists, nostalgic fans into a money printing machine you are in El Dorado. The C64 is a very good test case for this.
Old 15 July 2003, 07:54   #24
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Unless tulip has alot of cash for going to court it will be hard for them to make any cash going after c64 sites and people using the name. If you ever noticed the companies that protect their name the most are the ones with alot to lose like disney, sony, nintendo, Microsoft, etc.

The real problem will come when tulip goes under after winning a court case or 2 and some large corperation buys them out who has the cash to really fuck anybody who is left using the commodore name.

Still I dont see much money to be made from all of this except for liscencing the name to other people, which is the whole reason to own the commodore name in this day and age.

Somebody owns the patents, name, and copyrights to every old defunct computer maker that walked the face of the earth. The patents will run out, the copyrights and name wont be worth anything unless you protect them legally (which is what tulip is doing).

I think in a few years all the rom and 8/16 bit traders will have to go underground again because of stuff like this.
Old 15 July 2003, 08:09   #25
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Anytime corporate parasites see people having fun, it becomes important for them to take it away and attempt to extract money from it. Think of the punk kid at the beach that feels he must knock over the sandcastle that the nice kid has spent hours building. Each day sees the realisation of the dream coming true: that the joy and freedom that kicked off the internet web boom would be replaced by commerce. This Tulip incident, in a nutshell, is simply trying to remove the existing hobby community base, replace them or convert them into robots that will spend their money at this new portal on the exact same thing they previously were getting for free, followed by Tulip laughing all the way to the bank. Oddly, the very community that they believe will be making them rich is the community that they are alienating right this minute. Who else is there that cares about old CBM games except for the retrogaming community? And they believe they can take away these people's community and those users will turn around and reward their actions by pumping money into their greed box?

Are people really that dense? I guess we shall see.
Old 15 July 2003, 08:10   #26
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Angry

I was busy posting when you'd already posted IFW, doesn't sound at all good,as much as I feared. What gets me is how in being a comercially "dead" product as you said, they couldn't have cared less, but after years of work from the true fans,(like the developers of CCS64 & VICE etc.),the guys who created the tools/format for preserving the old games,& the guys who helped build the retro-community like Kim Lemon's Lemon 64 site,& created from scratch & basically for virtually no personal gain, these parasites,(in their own minds),sensing a financial opportunity suddenly come along & wave a big legal stick threatening pay us,or get sued/shut down.

They've contributed absolutely nothing to the retro/emulation community,& then expect they can tell it how it's supposed to behave? It's an insult to the entire C64 community!

Much less they would certainly have no claim to any revenue from any games,what an insult that would be to the Manfred Trenz, Andy Braybrooks,Sensible Software's, Apex Software,all the guys who worked at System 3 etc. just to name a few. (And for the smarties out there, whilst I might have a few d64 images, I also have several original C64 titles bought from the 80's & 90's, so nerr!)

Here's hoping they go belly-up,I'm sure the retro C64 scene will not react kindly to this.
Geez,what next? Will Amiga Inc. suddenly walk in on BTTR & tell them they're not allowed to release old Amiga games,(despite gaining original author's permission),or claim CAPS as their own?
Old 15 July 2003, 08:33   #27
IFW

They try to tone it down now, claiming the press release was unauthorized... however once you see the true face of the devil you'll never forget.
It is possible that the company behind this has better intentions than Tulip, as they claim now seeing the strong reactions from the community, but it reminds me the "good cop/bad cop" plays somehow.
Rest assured a company like Tulip that used to sponsor Sky News among others do not allow any "unauthorized" press release to slip.
So that claim is is obviously fake for anyone knowing how such corporations work.
Old 15 July 2003, 08:36   #28
Unknown_K

Quote:
Originally posted by 7-Zark-7
I was busy posting when you'd already posted IFW, doesn't sound at all good,as much as I feared. What gets me is how in being a comercially "dead" product as you said, they couldn't have cared less, but after years of work from the true fans,(like the developers of CCS64 & VICE etc.),the guys who created the tools/format for preserving the old games,& the guys who helped build the retro-community like Kim Lemon's Lemon 64 site,& created from scratch & basically for virtually no personal gain, these parasites,(in their own minds),sensing a financial opportunity suddenly come along & wave a big legal stick threatening pay us,or get sued/shut down.

They've contributed absolutely nothing to the retro/emulation community,& then expect they can tell it how it's supposed to behave? It's an insult to the entire C64 community!

Much less they would certainly have no claim to any revenue from any games,what an insult that would be to the Manfred Trenz, Andy Braybrooks,Sensible Software's, Apex Software,all the guys who worked at System 3 etc. just to name a few. (And for the smarties out there, whilst I might have a few d64 images, I also have several original C64 titles bought from the 80's & 90's, so nerr!)

Here's hoping they go belly-up,I'm sure the retro C64 scene will not react kindly to this.
Geez,what next? Will Amiga Inc. suddenly walk in on BTTR & tell them they're not allowed to release old Amiga games,(despite gaining original author's permission),or claim CAPS as their own?
All tulip wants is people using their commodore name illegally to pay a fee to do so (from what the article said).

Places like sensible software sell old used hardware and games, they are not using the commodore name for anything other the describing hardware/software which is legit.

Wether they contribute to the c64 scene doesnt matter one bit. Lots of crackers and websites contribute to the c64 scene in illegal ways (cracking and distributing somebody elses software). While millions apreciate the easy downloads very few would agree thats its all legal. They own the commodore name and can do whatever they want with it, thats all.
Old 15 July 2003, 08:45   #29
IFW

I'd like to point out that C= (or Amiga for that matter) has always been an open software platform meaning you did not have to pay for developer licenses (unless you wanted some inside info from CATS), royalties from software sales etc.
They clearly think/claim this not to be the case by saying they own everything that were presented as a C= product, not just hw. It is a blantant lie and FUD.
Old 15 July 2003, 08:56   #30
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Roll eyes (sarcastic)

@Unknown_K. There wouldn't even be a C64 scene today if not for these "illegal sceners". And my reference was that the original game authors/publishers are the copyright holders to those games,not these parasites,so why should they be entitled to claim any revenue for old C64games-they don't own them?!

How's this for vague, this is paraphrased from Lemon...........
......."I emailed both Tulip and Ironstone earlier today, asking the following questions:

* What action would you take against 'unofficial' Commodore 64 websites?

* Would you be prepared for the 'unofficial' websites to display something
like 'This is an unofficial C64 website' and/or 'Commodore is the
trademark of Ironstone', for example?

* An official C64 emulator is mentioned - Is this an existing emulator or a
new one?

* How do you plan on making money from 'classic games' when the rights
are with the programmers and software houses?

* Can you supply any further details on your plans?

Well this is what I got back:

Dear Lee,

Now that the news has broken regarding our license deal with Tulip we are very happy to have received a huge amount of email from the C64 community. So that we can give you an early response as to what we are planning to do and hopefully put right some of the misconceptions that are starting to appear we have prepared the brief statement below.

· The Directors of Ironstone have a combined video games experience of over 100 years and most of us have at some point built games for the C64. For example, our Creative Director has built over 30 games and our CTO has written over 36 games and 3 books on the C64. In fact, our CTO had the second machine ever imported into the UK. As a result our interest in C64 is based on our passion for this great system.

· The reason we’ve been prepared to put a lot of money into this deal is because we feel the C64 community, and the people who have kept the C64 alive for so long, deserve the support of the brand and technology owners. In other words, we want to work with you and support you.

We consider ourselves as very much on the side of the C64 community and not as a “faceless profit hungry organisation”, and because we believe that the community has done such a fantastic job of keeping the C64 alive, we’d like to enlist your help to inform everyone in the community of our intentions.

Finally, if you have any suggestions that you think will help us please let us know as the we can’t think of anyone better or more appropriate to help us bring the C64 brand back to prominence than the C64 community. Please send your suggestions to C64ideas@ironstonepartners.com.

Thanks again for your mail.

Kind regards.

The C64 Team at Ironstone.

I don't think it gives much info to be honest - It seems that they are keeping their cards close to their chests? They seem to have toned it down from their original press release, going on about 'official websites' etc.

Looks liek we will still have to wait for more details?
Playing - Mario Kart (N64), Kokotoni Wilf (Spec)
***Tickertape back in two weeks!***

Last edited by LeeT on Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total"...................

:suspiciou
Old 15 July 2003, 09:01   #31
IFW

And here is another press relese quoted. Read carefully clause 6 and combine it with $10m invested and draw your own conclusion.

"Hmmzz , i first read the news on Planet Multimedia, a magazine from my privider which is most of the time exact...
I can send everyone who's interested a copy , but its in dutch...

its say's
1) that the will com with there OWN emu...

2)That they bought the name commodore for 9.77 mil. Euro.

3)They allready tried to sell under the commodore name without succes

4)When there portal gets a reaseneble size they want to make hardware, but they didnt want to specify anithing at all to Planet Media exept for some Clothing like tshirts with probebly a commodore logo ...

5)They want to sell old games and that IronStone will greate new games.

6)the told Planet media that the problem is that we think al the games are for free now "
Old 15 July 2003, 09:13   #32
manicx

Tulip=C*nts!

This is the worst thing I've even seen on the net. Does this mean that the C64 community will die? How about great emulators like winVICE? Bastards, I hate big companies who do not give a shit about communities. On the other hand, Commodore did exactly the same in the past !
Old 15 July 2003, 12:02   #33
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Look. Stop panicking people. They only own the brand, not the hardware for fucks sake. They have no right to claim authors of the emulators or peeps who make C= periphials are breaching copyright.

At the end of the day, all it means is that all those Commodore 64 sites will have to remove the C= logo. In that way theyll go in line with other emulation scenes that similiarly cant use the companys logo of the machine they love.

So dont worry ok?
Old 15 July 2003, 13:00   #34
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Thumbs down

But they appear to be aiming at a lot more than just the old CBM logo,based on the information released to date, & I'd highly doubt that they're rumoured payment of $10million euro was purely for "the benefit of the C64 community".

Lets say hypothetically they'd released their own C64 emulator. How is it exactly fair that the established successful WinVice & CCS64 emulators/coders are then forced into a "pay up or be shut down" situation, talk about anti-competitive!

What would the Amiga community say if Amiga Inc. suddenly tried to shut down WinUAE,& instead insist everyone buy their own commercial product-based emulator for anyone in the Amiga community wanting to play their "classic amiga" gaming titles?
Old 15 July 2003, 13:43   #35
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Hmmmm, i think their lawyers are being over ambitious to say the least. I doubt they own the Commodore 64 brand. I very much doubt it. They say

"Tulip is the owner of the brand name Commodore. Through this partnership Tulip grants to Ironstone the exclusive rights to exploit the official Commodore C64 web-portal and use of the Commodore 64 brand name. "

They only mentioning owning the Commodore brand name. I bet if push came to shove they have no right to say they own the "Commodore 64" brand name.

Theres a difference. Albeit a small one. And they dont have the rights to the software, the OS or especially the computer games made for it.

Whoever sold them the C= name milked these ignorant idiots. Now theyre trying to save face by making up shit that they own other things when they dont.
Old 15 July 2003, 13:49   #36
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Theres a difference between buying the brand name and the assets. Still. I might be wrong - whats the details of what they own?
Old 15 July 2003, 16:45   #37
jmmijo

Hmm, sounds like the same crap that SCO is trying to do to the Linux community
Old 15 July 2003, 17:40   #38
Unknown_K

Quote:
Originally posted by jmmijo
Hmm, sounds like the same crap that SCO is trying to do to the Linux community
I wouldnt be surprised if some of the linux contributions were taken from other unix code. Once the competition is big enough to make it worth your time and money for litigation thats what happens.
Old 15 July 2003, 18:41   #39
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Garak on the Lemon Baord said the following:
"No, Tulip Computers _only_ owns the Commodore name and Commodore logo.

But, Gateway Computers owns all the 8-bit Commodore patents (which are expiring as we speak) and the technologies (ie Gateway owns the VIC and SID patents etc.).

As for Amiga... Gateway also owned all things Amiga including the name (not Tulip) but few years back a few people got together and bought the Amiga name and other Amiga rights from Gateway and reformed Amiga: www.amiga.com.

So, Tulip has the Commodore name/logo, Gateway owns all the 8-bit Commodore patents/technologies, and Amiga owns Amiga... it's all crazy if you ask me!

Garak"

So...my initial suspicions are correct. Tulip only own the Commodore name and logo AND NOTHING ELSE. Not even the Commodore 64! As such, they really are FULL of shit.
Old 15 July 2003, 19:35   #40
ant512

It's essentially a FUD campaign, or so it seems to me. Compare it with the SCO case. SCO have said that some mysterious code of theirs has been copied, but they won't tell anyone exactly which lines of code, which sections of Linux it affects, or indeed anything at all useful. They're just dangling the spectre of copyright infringement, particularly worrying to American companies at the moment, with that DRM, RIAA, MPA, etc, nonsense forever in the press, in the hope that companies, especially small companies, get scared and either buy the SCO build of Linux (which is, by all accounts, rubbish) or pay a licence fee.

Tulip seem to be doing the same thing. I'd guess that their aim is to scare the smaller sites and emulators out of existence, as they wouldn't be able to afford to fight a lawsuit (hands up everyone who's registered a C64 emu. Anyone?). They remove the competition, and so C64 fans have no choice but to buy the "official" emulator. For larger sites, they'd just need to win one court case for most of them to start shutting down too.

Hmm... I wonder what Gateway would say if they knew that Tulip, in writing a commercial C64 emulator, were trying to make money out of the C64 hardware IP?

Perhaps if the C64 scene rallies around and convinces the original games programmers not to sell their games to Tulip they'd have to reconsider their new scheme. However, I think enough copyrights or licencing rights must still lie with the publishers (who tend to want to exploit IP as badly as Tulip seem to) for Tulip to put together a large catalogue of licenced games.