English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 02 June 2003, 11:10   #1
AmiGer

Scans of english AMIGA magazines... ?

Hi

Which were the best known english amiga or game magazines in general... ? Had any of them a "kult" status like ASM/AMIGA Joker in Germany... ?

Can I find scans or test reports in the net ?

Thanks...
Old 02 June 2003, 11:26   #2
blackcornflake

The most prominent UK magazines were:

General Amiga: Amiga Format, CU [Commodore User] Amiga

Games: Amiga Power, The One, Amiga Action

Each magazine had its own fans, but I suppose if one was to qualify as having cult status, it would be Amiga Power.

I don't know of any online scan resource. I have been scanning game reviews from various magazines for Tim Janssen's Amiga Reviews site, but this site does not use entire scans, only elements from them.
Old 02 June 2003, 19:27   #3
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

Hey, you forgot the last and greatest(?) of them all, Amiga Active!
Old 02 June 2003, 20:34   #4
RetroMan

How about Total Amiga You can get a full Mag Scan here
Old 02 June 2003, 21:38   #5
blackcornflake

Quote:
Originally posted by Syko
Hey, you forgot the last and greatest(?) of them all, Amiga Active!
Not quite the case that I forgot it - I omitted it on the grounds that it existed at a time when the circulations of Amiga magazines were so much lower than those of earlier mags (in their pomp) that the name would likely not register with many people, and therefore it might not be considered one of the 'best known' magazines.

It was a quality mag, and I enjoyed reading it, but personally I wouldn't say it surpassed Amiga Format or Amiga Power. And it sold out big time, imo, when it abruptly metamorphosed into Digital. The obsequious 10-page endorsement of the Xbox (complete with fawning commentary on soundbites from the head of Xbox games marketing in the UK) in the final issue was particularly far from the magazine's original position of providing refreshingly upbeat Amiga coverage.

Nice while it lasted though.
Old 03 June 2003, 17:07   #6
Syko

Couldn't comment on 'Digital' as I picked up the fist copy, read as much of it as I could stand then put it down thinking, "What a complete waste of journalism."

AA was an excelent mag, carrying on the best traditions of AF and CUA. It was informative, entertaining and covered hardware, serious software and games in good detail, and the cover CD's were the best of any of the mag's. I don't know why they sold out so badlly, but personaly I think it was very wrong, both at a personal level and at a business level. Hell, I was buying it evey month from the newsagent in town to make sure it got the shelf space! I wasn't the only person buying it either. brain starts to hurt just thinking about it...
Old 04 June 2003, 07:47   #7
AmiGer

Thanks for the replies...

@blackcornflake, Tim Janssen's site is very good, i've seen it before...

@Retroman, the mag scan is also good, but a little bit too technical for me... I meant "old" game review scans and something like this...

I still wonder if there's nothing else in the net
Old 04 June 2003, 16:20   #8
cv643d

It would be cool if in the future it would be possible to leech all great Amiga and C64 mags as PDF or scanned gif/jpg's.

Would be a lot of work scanning them in though ..
Old 05 June 2003, 11:31   #9
Tim Janssen

Arrow Peculiar taste...

@Amiger,
I too wonder why there are so few scans of Amiga game reviews on Internet. Especially when looking at 8-bit platforms where many scans of Crash, Zzap! and Commodore Format can be found.
On the other hand, I think a peculiar taste is required to appreciate scans of age-old reviews for a dead machine.

Personally, I would like to see complete scans of Zero magazine online. It is the funniest multiformat gamesmagazine which has ever appeared. Also, if anyone would put scans of CU Amiga from the years 1987-1990 online I would be in heaven.
Old 06 June 2003, 20:34   #10
Syko

I'm actualy scanning a guide to upgrading your A500 at the moment. OCR, then layout, then convert to PDF.

If you don't like PDF tough. Everybody can read them, which is why I like it.

Still havn't moved all my stuff to my new house yet, when I have I'll look at scaning CU Amiga, CU Iinternational, Amiga Format, Amiga Shopper, Amiga Active and any other miggy mags I find... don't hold your breath though coz I work slow....
Old 06 June 2003, 22:02   #11
AmiGer

Quote:
Originally posted by Syko
I'll look at scaning
That's very nice. Now I'm happy... We will talk again when you've scanned the first mag... in maybe a year...

However, thanks a lot...