English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 14 September 2007, 02:09   #1
Zyprexa
Former Freak

Send a message via MSN to Zyprexa
Question Amiga Only Torrent Tracker?

Hi. I am thinking about starting an Amiga-Stuff-Only torrent tracker site. But before i go ahead and invest a serious amount of resources on this project, i would like some feedback on this idea
Old 14 September 2007, 08:07   #2
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Send a message via ICQ to Chain
Its a great idea imo, and my suggestions:

- make it only for registered members.
- categorized (i dont like those 2gb packs ´all games´)
Old 14 September 2007, 10:05   #3
DrF
Blessed A1200 Of TeH Rat

I would like a place where you could get ISOs of public domain/freeware (Fredd Fish, Aminet, 17Bit etc.) they seem hard to find.

ADF's of games are not really needed I think, there everywhere and I think not alot of people bother with them anymore on a real Amiga.
Old 14 September 2007, 13:59   #4
Iznougoud
Quite the odd one

Send a message via MSN to Iznougoud
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrF View Post
I would like a place where you could get ISOs of public domain/freeware (Fredd Fish, Aminet, 17Bit etc.) they seem hard to find.

ADF's of games are not really needed I think, there everywhere and I think not alot of people bother with them anymore on a real Amiga.
True. Games needn't be a priority. But there's no need to rule them out entirely either (given the size of things, covering the entire games production for the Amiga should stay under 5 - 6Gb). Maybe a category for "hard to find games" would be an idea .
But yes. It would be a nice idea. And I for one, would definitely upload to it if there would be anything I could contribute with.
Old 14 September 2007, 14:45   #5
Zyprexa
Former Freak

The site will be accessible only to registered member as i am hoping that might save me a little bandwidth.

So far i have the following categories in mind:

Amiga Games
Amiga Applications
Amiga Demos
Amiga Music
Amiga Documents
Amiga Misc

But breaking it down some more is easy and absolutely possible. And if i am forgetting something, suggestions on categories would be appreciated.

I guess what's going to take me a little while is making a design/theme for it.

Last edited by Zyprexa; 14 September 2007 at 15:06.
Old 14 September 2007, 14:58   #6
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

please dont make it overly restrictive. something like Demonoid gets the balance just right, (public tracker but with registration i beleive?) but i know some of these gaming torrent sites get the hump if you download too much, and you need to let a few randoms on in order to keep it ticking over imho.

i'd certainly put the Amiga Online (installed games with winuae-kaillera client) torrent and maybe a PSPUAE one (ram-isntalled HD games, configs and emu) on there.

since they would both contain games and their respective emulators, im not sure which catagory they would be under?
Old 14 September 2007, 15:01   #7
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
please dont make it overly restrictive. something like Demonoid gets the balance just right, (public tracker but with registration i beleive?)
Demonoid is invite only last I checked. Something more like UG would be useful.
Old 14 September 2007, 16:32   #8
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Like the idea

Indexed, individual files rather than 'big packs' please.
( Unless well known PD packs / iso's with published index )

Thanks.
Old 14 September 2007, 16:41   #9
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
Demonoid is invite only last I checked. Something more like UG would be useful.
it is invite only to become a member, and then search on the demonoid page, and to post your own torrents. It also monitors your up/download amounts.

However, it doesnt stop non-demonoid members from using their torrents afaik. (thus the tracker is public, even if the site is not)

i thought UG was one of these horribly restrictive private ones where you get booted for downloading something and then not being able to upload it back becasue no other f**ker wants it, or there are already too many seeds?
Old 14 September 2007, 16:54   #10
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
it is invite only to become a member, and then search on the demonoid page, and to post your own torrents. It also monitors your up/download amounts.

However, it doesnt stop non-demonoid members from using their torrents afaik. (thus the tracker is public, even if the site is not)

i thought UG was one of these horribly restrictive private ones where you get booted for downloading something and then not being able to upload it back becasue no other f**ker wants it, or there are already too many seeds?
Yes and no

With Demonoid (AFAIK) you need a key to use the tracker other than for seeding, so I think you must have a user account hence need an invite.

...and yes, UG is one of those twatty sites that kick you off if you don't happen to have lots of popular stuff in your possession

So basically I would guess just like UG only with a much fairer system... and allow user content since only the users know what the users want. Which will probably mean kickstarts
Old 14 September 2007, 16:59   #11
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

What about a section for drivers disks and manuals? They are often hard to find for some parts. Maybe more appropriate for a website, but something to think of.
Old 14 September 2007, 17:18   #12
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

hm.. i had an ask around, and demonoid definately allows you to up and download even without being a member.

if this thing is going to be private tracker like UG, then i probably wont put my miggy torrents on it tbh, as i think its too restrictive for something that probably wont have a massive userbase anyway.
Old 14 September 2007, 17:28   #13
Duke
HOL-Team

Send a message via ICQ to Duke
I agree, why not just an open tracker?
Old 14 September 2007, 18:00   #14
Zyprexa
Former Freak

I expect the tracker will be public, but to browse or upload torrents i would like to keep that for registered members as that might save me some bandwidth, and produce a user base that actually cares a little, if you know what i mean.

I would like the site to be as little "elitist" and as friendly and accessible as possible. And invite-only is pretty much out of the question for just that reason.

But i'm still in the process of exploring the possibilities of the software. which by the way i think will be TorrentTrader as that may save me a huge amount of time. I am definetly not a php/programming wizard. And i've never run a tracker before so please bear with me

Last edited by Zyprexa; 14 September 2007 at 18:08.
Old 14 September 2007, 21:25   #15
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
I agree, why not just an open tracker?
Open but moderated would be cool. The Pirate Bay has plenty of stuff but the user submitted names are often so incoherent you can't find a damn thing.
Old 28 September 2007, 04:18   #16
Zyprexa
Former Freak

I would like a few people to test the site, so please PM me if you want to voluenter, and i'll supply you with the url.
Old 28 September 2007, 16:22   #17
Thalion
Amiga Collector

Nice Idea to have an Amiga Torrent Tracker. Always wanted that.
Old 28 September 2007, 22:34   #18
BippyM
Global Moderator

I'd have contributed massively not long ago, but losing 150gb of amiga stuff was a killer

It's a great idea
Old 28 September 2007, 23:25   #19
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

out of curiosity, will the site site allow you to upload amiga related torrents, which are already tracked elsewhere?

if so i would be willing to contribute to a bit of testing if applicants remain needed?

hopefully you already have many others with more free time offering services to you
Old 29 September 2007, 07:40   #20
Zyprexa
Former Freak

Would it be ok if i posted a link to it in this thread?