English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 22 April 2012, 20:37   #241
isamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
I have been working a bit on the launcher today (Screenshot attached)

Only when they are in fact in ADF format. IPF and DMS formats are also common -Personally I just say disk image or floppy image, but I don't care what you call them as long as I understand what you mean...

The launcher shown synchronizes settings across clients live while changing the settings. Checksums are also exchanged between the clients and the launcher will not allow the game to start until it has verified that all players have the same files.

Not implemented yet; the launcher will also automatically select the correct kickstart / disk images when another player changes kickstart / disk image by looking up the path in a local database of scanned files.
That is incredible!!! Simply incredible and VERY impressive!!!

I think I may have to grab the latest full TOSEC collection, so that I will then have pretty much all the floppy images required to match up with people. Hopefully you guys have them as well.

In addition, here's a suggestion Frode....how about implementing a feature that automatically allowing us to download the disk image directly from whoever is hosting the game, and then from there the application matches us up and we're ready to go?
Old 22 April 2012, 21:10   #242
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Frode - After all your hard efforts, I finally got a new laptop! Now running your amazing emulator should be no problem! - I'm hoping it isn't anyways - as it's got quad core!
It will probably work great! -If not, you know where the support thread is

Quote:
Originally Posted by isamu View Post
That is incredible!!! Simply incredible and VERY impressive!!!

Quote:
In addition, here's a suggestion Frode....how about implementing a feature that automatically allowing us to download the disk image directly from whoever is hosting the game, and then from there the application matches us up and we're ready to go?
This is technically easy to do, but I don't want FS-UAE associated with software piracy, so I won't include such a feature (and yes, I understand there are arguments both for and against here, and some games are freely distributable etc). I will therefore rather focus on making it as easy as possible to match up files on all clients in the cases where every player has the same game already. (And if the game is freely distributable, it is fairly easy for all players to download separately anyway).
Old 22 April 2012, 21:11   #243
olesio

Quote:
I don't know exactly how to do this, and whether it is possible (would vary with OS anyway). It is not a high priority for me to look into this, but if someone knows exactly how to do this (if possible) with Windows/RawInput (I know you use Windows), and create a patch or sends me information, I don't mind adding the feature.
I did not analyzed your source code, but maybe I do this in feature. Probable - imo - you must do some keyboard Hook in some method which "swallow" all keystrokes, because original WinUAE version do not block using of multimedia keys and when WinUAE windows is active I can switch songs or radio stations using multimedia keys. If I find something in source code I will let you know.
Old 22 April 2012, 21:36   #244
isamu

Quote:

This is technically easy to do, but I don't want FS-UAE associated with software piracy, so I won't include such a feature (and yes, I understand there are arguments both for and against here, and some games are freely distributable etc). I will therefore rather focus on making it as easy as possible to match up files on all clients in the cases where every player has the same game already. (And if the game is freely distributable, it is fairly easy for all players to download separately anyway).
OK I understand no problem mate

Quick question though....does the client allow us to jump into an online session already in progress and spectate the two players playing the game? That is one thing I am really REALLY hoping for. Spectating is something I very much enjoy doing, and would love to be able to watch a couple people play something like say, Lotus Espirit Challenge while I kick back and have a cup of tea
Old 22 April 2012, 21:56   #245
Foul

Send a message via ICQ to Foul Send a message via MSN to Foul
Excellent idea !!! +1
Old 22 April 2012, 22:05   #246
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Quick question though....does the client allow us to jump into an online session already in progress and spectate the two players playing the game? That is one thing I am really REALLY hoping for. Spectating is something I very much enjoy doing, and would love to be able to watch a couple people play something like say, Lotus Espirit Challenge while I kick back and have a cup of tea
This is not possible with the current net play protocol, and barely possible at all Only input events and frame information is passed between clients, and you need to be part of the session from the start for it to work.

The only way this could work is a complete state transfer (i.e. memory, etc - basically a save state + some more data) from one of the other players and then replay input events from that point. While possible to do (and also with potential copyright issues), it would require quite a bit of additional work which I am unlikely to prioritize.

Spectating itself is non-problematic. Another player ("spectator") will not affect the speed/responsiveness for the other players, unless it has a too slow computer to keep up.
Old 25 April 2012, 19:26   #247
isamu

Quote:
This is not possible with the current net play protocol, and barely possible at all Only input events and frame information is passed between clients, and you need to be part of the session from the start for it to work.

The only way this could work is a complete state transfer (i.e. memory, etc - basically a save state + some more data) from one of the other players and then replay input events from that point. While possible to do (and also with potential copyright issues), it would require quite a bit of additional work which I am unlikely to prioritize.

Spectating itself is non-problematic. Another player ("spectator") will not affect the speed/responsiveness for the other players, unless it has a too slow computer to keep up.
Ahh I understand, thanks for the explanation. Well, hopefully someday
Old 28 April 2012, 14:12   #248
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

I have just released 1.2.0rc1 (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=815178#post815178).

I started a local net play game to check that everything worked as usual, but I would appreciate a couple of confirmations that net play in 1.2.0rc1 is good.

Also, the net play server is now versioned and can be downloaded from the normal (beta) download page. This should make it easier to use the correct server, and the latest server for the stable relase will (when 1.2.0) is released always be found on the stable download page.
Old 28 April 2012, 14:30   #249
AmigaOnline
Online Amiga Gaming

Quote:
I have just released 1.2.0rc1 (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=815178#post815178).

I started a local net play game to check that everything worked as usual, but I would appreciate a couple of confirmations that net play in 1.2.0rc1 is good.

Also, the net play server is now versioned and can be downloaded from the normal (beta) download page. This should make it easier to use the correct server, and the latest server for the stable relase will (when 1.2.0) is released always be found on the stable download page.
Thanks for this release. Will try to report any issues
Old 25 July 2012, 23:40   #250
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

@AmigaOnline, ref. your post about the launcher, net play and WHDLoad games: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=830727&postcount=152

One problem with using WHDLoad and net play, is that the Amiga memory will definitively get out of sync when WHDLoad reads and checks your key file - since you will have different personal keys - and the net play server will detect this and stop the game... (this is not a problem when running the trial version of WHDLoad -without a key).
Old 26 July 2012, 04:30   #251
lesta_smsc

Quote:
@AmigaOnline, ref. your post about the launcher, net play and WHDLoad games: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=830727&postcount=152

One problem with using WHDLoad and net play, is that the Amiga memory will definitively get out of sync when WHDLoad reads and checks your key file - since you will have different personal keys - and the net play server will detect this and stop the game... (this is not a problem when running the trial version of WHDLoad -without a key).
Anyone want to share a key? - lol on a more serious note, I don't mind using the trial version - just the same except has a nag screen! Frode - you ever online to play!? :P
Old 26 July 2012, 10:18   #252
AmigaOnline
Online Amiga Gaming

Quote:

Yes, I already know that. If you can make it work using the trial WHDLoad version, it will be ok (and very easy to setup, that's probably the biggest challenge here)
My current launcher warns the user if a key is detected (it is just a visual reminder, but you can take up this idea and maybe improve it with a checksum comparison). In my view, the WHDLoad key should be optional using the Net Play feature
Old 26 July 2012, 13:05   #253
AmigaOnline
Online Amiga Gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Anyone want to share a key? - lol on a more serious note, I don't mind using the trial version - just the same except has a nag screen! Frode - you ever online to play!? :P
A few games require a key, but in this case floppy versions should do the trick
Old 06 August 2012, 01:27   #254
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

FS-UAE Launcher with net play support

FS-UAE Launcher with net play support can be tested now! More information can be found here: http://fengestad.no/wp/launcher-net-play

Features include:
  • Lobby, chat channels and game channels via IRC.
  • Operators in game channel can set configuration on behalf of all players, floppy images, kickstarts will be automatically selected based on checksum provided that all players have the files indexed in the database.
  • Clients verify that they can connect to the server before the game can be started.
  • A "master" or "gateway" multiplayer server is running at fengestad.no, which can host 30 simultaneous games, so you can test multiplayer without setting up your own server. (Round-trip to Norway can be bad for your latency though, depending on where you live )
  • Some verification of compatible configuration across clients.
  • Synchronized game start.
Source code, Windows binaries and debs for x86-64: http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/1.3.23u1/

It's not perfect yet, but it works (it is a bit rough, and some edge cases are not handled properly yet).
Old 06 August 2012, 09:56   #255
AmigaOnline
Online Amiga Gaming

Quote:
FS-UAE Launcher with net play support can be tested now! [...]
Excellent, Frode!
Having only one server is of course not perfect for everybody in the world, but it can be at least a good way to give it a try
Old 06 August 2012, 12:17   #256
AmigaOnline
Online Amiga Gaming

@Frode: any way to start a custom server yet? (e.g.: over a lan/offline/launcher+irc)
Old 06 August 2012, 13:33   #257
Foul

http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/1.3...23u1-0_all.deb

it's for that no ?

Permanent install on my own 1Gb/s Server : 88.191.140.96 (based in Paris/France)

Last edited by Foul; 06 August 2012 at 13:40.
Old 06 August 2012, 13:48   #258
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

I'll answer a couple of questions in my lunch break here

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaOnline View Post
Excellent, Frode!
Having only one server is of course not perfect for everybody in the world, but it can be at least a good way to give it a try
Of course, I provided it for convenience only. Nothing is hardcoded to this server, so anyone may set up and use their own located somewhere else

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaOnline View Post
@Frode: any way to start a custom server yet? (e.g.: over a lan/offline/launcher+irc)
There are currently two options:
1. Start a single instance game server manually
2. Set up a net play service

Option 1 is the usual old way, you start
Code:
python fs-uae-game-server-1.3.23.py [arguments]
and then in the launcher, you use something like this to configure the game to use this server:
Code:
/setserver 10.0.0.34 25100 3
Option 2 is to start the service. If the server is installed via server/setup.py (sorry, I haven't written detailed instructions about this yet), you can start:
Code:
python -m fs_uae_netplay_server.service --addresses=10.0.0.34
This service will then run until it is stopped and be able to start multiple game servers. This is what's running on fengestad.no. In the launcher, you would use the server like this (for a three player game):
Code:
/startserver 10.0.0.34 25101 3
The launcher will then contact the service, get a new (random password protected) game server instance started, and automatically send the server details to all players.

Option 3 does not exist yet, but this would be to have the launcher spawn a single instance game server on the local computer. This could be very useful for a local network game, since no server setup/configuration would be needed at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foul View Post
http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/1.3.23u1/fs-uae-netplay-server_1.3.23u1-0_all.deb

it's for that no ?

Permanent install on my own 1Gb/s Server : 88.191.140.96 (based in Paris/France)
Correct , this package will install and set up the service! -The service runs as a separate user for extra security. But the service is not started by default, you need to edit /etc/defaults/fs-uae-netplay-server and change:
Code:
FS_UAE_NETPLAY_SERVER_ENABLE=yes
A new requirement is that you must also specify what address(es) clients should use to connect to this server -it is not automatically detected, for instance:
Code:
FS_UAE_NETPLAY_SERVER_ADDRESSES=<server ip address or hostname>
You can enter multiple addresses, if (for routing reasons) some must use an external IP and some an internal IP to connect to the server, you can enter something like this:
Code:
FS_UAE_NETPLAY_SERVER_ADDRESSES=ipaddress1,ipaddress2
If you get your server running, people would use (in the IRC window in FS-UAE Launcher):
Code:
/startserver 88.191.140.96 25101 <numplayers>
I'll be able to provide more help later tonight
Old 06 August 2012, 13:55   #259
Foul

ok ! cool

Configured and started !

Everyone can join/use my serv to play
Old 06 August 2012, 15:26   #260
AmigaOnline
Online Amiga Gaming

Quote:

There are currently two options:
1. Start a single instance game server manually
2. Set up a net play service

Option 1 is the usual old way, you start
Code:
python fs-uae-game-server-1.3.23.py [arguments]
ok/done (local server/2 clients expected)

Quote:
and then in the launcher, you use something like this to configure the game to use this server:
Code:
/setserver 127.0.0.1 25100 2
ok/done (localhost IP address)

All seems ok according to you? Any other options?
And then, how can i add channels/start a game exactly? I've tried the default commands without success.
It only works when the FS-UAE client is connected to fengestag.no (online). In this case, I've noticed a new game window in the lower left-hand corner. Tried this morning
Thanks.