English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 21 April 2012, 23:47   #21
mark_k

Has anyone patched their A1200 Kickstart 3.1 image so the PCMCIA slot is not disabled with >4MB fast RAM? If not I could take a look at it and figure out a patch.

If you're not able to burn Kickstart into EPROMs, the patched Kickstart would need to be soft-kicked, thus losing 512KB RAM.

An alternative method might be to use the option in the later versions of SetPatch to reboot and disable the cardres.resource module. You could then extract cardres.resource from (the patched) Kickstart ROM and have it load from disk instead. Though you'd probably have to extract carddisk.device too...
Old 22 April 2012, 12:27   #22
clauddio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k View Post
Has anyone patched their A1200 Kickstart 3.1 image so the PCMCIA slot is not disabled with >4MB fast RAM? If not I could take a look at it and figure out a patch.

If you're not able to burn Kickstart into EPROMs, the patched Kickstart would need to be soft-kicked, thus losing 512KB RAM.

An alternative method might be to use the option in the later versions of SetPatch to reboot and disable the cardres.resource module. You could then extract cardres.resource from (the patched) Kickstart ROM and have it load from disk instead. Though you'd probably have to extract carddisk.device too...
supposedly that was the solution ....replacing card.resource or cardisk.device
but not works on that way
I remember I extracted both objects from kick3.0 and I loaded them on kick31 using loadmodule and loadresident > pcmcia not worked
maybe the problem is on workench library or in exec or in other module ...who knows > to be investigated

Last edited by clauddio; 22 April 2012 at 12:33.
Old 04 May 2012, 20:30   #23
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Quote:
Originally Posted by clauddio View Post
supposedly that was the solution ....replacing card.resource or cardisk.device
but not works on that way
I remember I extracted both objects from kick3.0 and I loaded them on kick31 using loadmodule and loadresident > pcmcia not worked
maybe the problem is on workench library or in exec or in other module ...who knows > to be investigated
Maybe you are right for exec (kickstart 3.1 changes):

exec 40.10

- On machines with PCMCIA cards, EXEC now makes sure the interface
is turned on at boot time and then will turn it off before
configuration. This should let a full 8-meg of RAM be added in the
Zorro-II space.

This change requires an update to the credit card resource/device
such that it will correctly turn on the interface if needed. (39.50)
Old 04 May 2012, 21:00   #24
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Here is my "don't disable PCMCIA" patch which was never actually tested
(I don't have any non-accelerator/24-bit RAM boards)

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=506385&postcount=25
Old 04 May 2012, 21:48   #25
clauddio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Here is my "don't disable PCMCIA" patch which was never actually tested
(I don't have any non-accelerator/24-bit RAM boards)

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=506385&postcount=25
thanks
can you upload the patched card.resource please ( I do not understand how to patch it)
I will try it and I will report if pcmcia works
Old 01 July 2012, 11:53   #26
fgh

Quote:
Clauddio: Did you check that the correct versions were actually loaded?
As far as I understand Doobrey here, loadmodule/loadresident will not actually replace anything unless the loaded module has a newer version number than the kickstart based one.

I'm out of my league here (again), but if successfully loading 3.0 card.resource and carddisk.device (by bumping the version numbers if required) doesn't help, I guess exec needs to be replaced as well (re Calgors post just above)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
AFAIK only SRAM (and other directly addressable ram cards) need non-IO area.
This was written in 2009, can anyone confirm?

Last edited by fgh; 01 July 2012 at 12:28.
Old 01 July 2012, 15:13   #27
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
thanks
can you upload the patched card.resource please ( I do not understand how to patch it)
I will try it and I will report if pcmcia works
Late answer: I won't upload original or patched AOS files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgh View Post
This was written in 2009, can anyone confirm?
Yes!

Note that at least CF cards in PCMCIA adapter can be configured as memory mapped (0x00600000->), not IO (0x00a20000->) but use of that mode makes no sense
Old 29 January 2013, 14:02   #28
fgh

DonAdan has made a cardres patch that needs testing.
This patch will leave PCMCIA active, but ignore any PCMCIA RAM if there is more than 4MB Z2-RAM.

So other PCMCIA equipment would work on 3.1 with 8MB Z2 fast RAM, and there would be no risk of memory conflict..

I don't have such a system anymore, but hopefully you guys can have a look at it?
Old 29 January 2013, 14:39   #29
Turran

Already tried it. Does not work =) Just restarts the amiga over and over as I wrote in that thread
Old 29 January 2013, 14:41   #30
fgh

Thanks, I saw that, but wouldn't it be good if someone with 3.1 tried as well?
Old 30 January 2013, 09:10   #31
Turran

Good point =) I can put the 8mb card in my other 1200 with 3.1 roms.
Old 08 July 2013, 10:21   #32
Scyphe
Classic Addict

Sorry for the necro but I've got an M-tec 1230LC 4MB @ 42MHz (pure 68030 with MMU), not the 28/RTC card. I was thinking about adding another 4MB to the empty SOJ-solderingpoints on the back of the card (the 4MB and 8MB version of the card are identical afaik except for the two missing RAM-chips on the back of the card).

Can the extra 4MB be mapped using the MMU so it does NOT block/own the PCMCIA memory space? The card is autoconfig but it should be possible to create a patch or similar that can patch the adress space for the RAM similar to how PC Bios have a setting that lets you remap stuff.

Btw, does anybody here on EAB own an actual M-Tec 1230LC 8MB an can provide high-resolution close-up photos of the top and bottom of the 8MB version? The ones I've found on the net are difficult to use to compare the 8MB-version with my 4MB-version (ie. if there's a small short somewhere to enable the backside RAM).

This is the back of my 4MB 1230LC:

This is the back of the 8MB version (had to edit/replace colours, saturation and change brightness and contrast since it was very difficult to compare as it was completely yellow/orange):

The ONLY difference I've found so far is that the four soldering points at the lower right part of the solder-edge that goes all around the card on both sides have been cleared (which breaks connection between topside and backside at those four points. If that is indeed necessary to enable the extra 4MB it's the key to a 4/8-switch, but I wonder. There's an enormous lack of information.

The RAM-chips themselves are like $1 (but will take ages to arrive since they'll be shipped from hong kong or something like that).

Any information appreciated.

ps. it must be possible since certain 8MB cards (old and modern) have solved the problem in one way or another (autoconfig? slot-pin difference?).

Last edited by Scyphe; 08 July 2013 at 10:22. Reason: added ps.
Old 08 July 2013, 11:30   #33
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scyphe View Post
The ONLY difference I've found so far is that the four soldering points at the lower right part of the solder-edge that goes all around the card on both sides have been cleared (which breaks connection between topside and backside at those four points. If that is indeed necessary to enable the extra 4MB it's the key to a 4/8-switch, but I wonder. There's an enormous lack of information.
The PCB is plated through, so the fact that these vias have less solder in them doesn't break the connection. But no, they aren't a memory switch, the holes are there just to connect that ground or power plane to the other side of the circuit board.
Old 08 July 2013, 14:51   #34
Sandro
Banned

Quote:

Can the extra 4MB be mapped using the MMU so it does NOT block/own the PCMCIA memory space? .
that card was done to use zorro 2 memory, if you add 4mb memory there will block pcmcia if you have kickstart 3.1
but if your A1200 have kickstart 3.0 nothing will happens,pcmcia will work like a charm
Old 08 July 2013, 17:56   #35
Scyphe
Classic Addict

Well, I still have the original 3.0 ROMs. But isn't there a way to patch the autoconfig mapping or change the adress space?

Btw, I've read a bit about the A1200 and AmigaOS 3.0/3.1 not being able to interpret the RAM of cards like the one I have as 32-bit (I have a pure 68030 with MMU that is fully 32-bit) and so far I've just used SysInfo that says it's 24-bit Fast Ram (but then SysInfo isn't really optimal as a system info tool although it's okay for vanilla machines or setups that it has in it's database). So how can I be certain if my RAM is 32-bit or 24-bit?

Btw. just added an FPU that I got today so it's fully loaded, just needs the two RAM-chips and then it's as maxed as it can be. I've been thinking about putting SOJ-sockets there instead of just solder the RAM straight on the card (if trapdoor space permits) which should make it possible to work out a solution to switch off the RAM chips (if I can find someone that knows what needs to be done to hide them from the card via some wires connected between the correct pins (which means bending the necessary pins out) to a jumper/switch).
Old 09 July 2013, 11:56   #36
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Well, I still have the original 3.0 ROMs. But isn't there a way to patch the autoconfig mapping or change the adress space?

Btw, I've read a bit about the A1200 and AmigaOS 3.0/3.1 not being able to interpret the RAM of cards like the one I have as 32-bit (I have a pure 68030 with MMU that is fully 32-bit) and so far I've just used SysInfo that says it's 24-bit Fast Ram (but then SysInfo isn't really optimal as a system info tool although it's okay for vanilla machines or setups that it has in it's database). So how can I be certain if my RAM is 32-bit or 24-bit?

Btw. just added an FPU that I got today so it's fully loaded, just needs the two RAM-chips and then it's as maxed as it can be. I've been thinking about putting SOJ-sockets there instead of just solder the RAM straight on the card (if trapdoor space permits) which should make it possible to work out a solution to switch off the RAM chips (if I can find someone that knows what needs to be done to hide them from the card via some wires connected between the correct pins (which means bending the necessary pins out) to a jumper/switch).
sysinfo report is ok
despite that cpu is a 030 full + mmu your turboboard yet uses zorro 2 memory
some turboboards used zorro 2 memory because was more easy and cheap to build for the manufacturer

and yes there is a patch for kickstart 3.1 someone done it...it not change memory adress instead...it patch kick3.1 cardisk.device and allow pcmcia to work
however that patch not works on the fly... needs a reboot
Old 09 July 2013, 21:46   #37
alenppc

The patch does not work at all by all accounts.

No way around it... the card maps the memory into Z2 space. Same issue as the Viper 630. Back in the day nobody thought they'd EVER need more than 4 mb of ram...
Old 09 July 2013, 23:58   #38
Scyphe
Classic Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
sysinfo report is ok
despite that cpu is a 030 full + mmu your turboboard yet uses zorro 2 memory
some turboboards used zorro 2 memory because was more easy and cheap to build for the manufacturer

and yes there is a patch for kickstart 3.1 someone done it...it not change memory adress instead...it patch kick3.1 cardisk.device and allow pcmcia to work
however that patch not works on the fly... needs a reboot
I ran AIBB 6.5 yesterday and it showed it as 32-bit RAM (and I've read that SysInfo does show 32-bit RAM as 24-bit for many lesser known Accelerator cards). But it doesn't really matter.

I've never found a datasheet for the M-Tec 1230LC (42MHz) that came in two versions, either 4MB or 8MB. Never found really good high-res images of the 8MB version either but I spent a lot of time comparing my card to the few images of the 8MB version I did find to see if there were any resistors, shorts, cuts, caps etc. that controlled if the two RAM-chip solderpoints were active or not but so far I've not seen a single difference between the two.

In SysInfo Speedtest I get 7k+ which is a nice boost but AIBB shows a lot more info and have many more tests, and with all the modules I downloaded I could compare my system with tons of other systems from Vanilla to 060-accelerators. With the card I'm currently more than 5 times faster than a stock 1200 (and it is noticeable).

But 4MB extra is eaten away too fast (which is why I'll attempt to tack and solder 4MB on the back as well, chips are already on their way). I plan on using this until I can get my hands on a proper Accelerator that supports 32-128MB of Fastram so I can use various tools to move everything into Fastram and not see RAM drop to 300-700k after installing extra libraries, TCP-stack, running Dopus and other stuff in the background, running OS 3.5 or 3.9 and so on. I may convert this into a tower model with a mediator board etc.

But that's the future. Right now I'm stuck with this 4MB (60ns chips) card that have a fast full 030. I simply need more RAM (which is on it's way). If it blocks the PCI-port I won't be able to use the wireless PCMCIA-NIC I have or use the PCMCIA CF-adapter I use to move files.

I have looked at other possibilities, like getting an IDE-CF controller with dual slots, use a CF-extension cable and perhaps put it where the Parallell-port is now so I can use that for a second IDE-CF drive (obviously I lose the hot-plug ability but that's a minor issue). So the NIC is the issue here. I guess I'll try the 3.0 ROMs when I've added the two RAM-chips to the card.

Sandro: how do you know it's Z2-RAM?
Old 10 July 2013, 02:36   #39
alenppc

Quote:
I ran AIBB 6.5 yesterday and it showed it as 32-bit RAM (and I've read that SysInfo does show 32-bit RAM as 24-bit for many lesser known Accelerator cards). But it doesn't really matter.
The memory is accessed at 32-bit (so 1x32 access instead of 2x16 as it happens on 68000) but the memory space is ZII. All you have to to is check the address the card's memory is mapped at in either AIBB or Sysinfo. You will notice the 24-bit ZII mapping space, so the same as used on 68000 or 68EC020 (so, 4 MB configured from 200000 to 5FFFFF).

I have the M-tec 1230-42 also, although it's the version with a SIMM slot, not onboard chips, and it's the same thing. Max 8 MB, and if installed, it kills the PCMCIA.

These were cheap and badly designed cards. It was easier to map the ram into ZII space and back when they were originally produced (1994-95) 4 MB was a massive amount of memory.
Old 10 July 2013, 10:00   #40
Sandro
Banned

Quote:

Sandro: how do you know it's Z2-RAM?
because is obvious because the max z2 ram possible is 8mb
any turboboard that uses z3 memory will support at least 32mb