English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 09 January 2020, 13:29   #1
mc68060
With MMU and FPU!

 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: On your mainboard
Posts: 136
Earthworm Jim for the Amiga? Here's what David Perry says

Earthworm Jim was released on lots of platforms and probably would have been an easy port for John Twiddy because the engine was presumably very similar to Aladdin. Unfortunately, we didn't get this insanely good jump'n'run game on maybe 6 disks (of course with a nice trackdisk loader and Rob Northen's Copylock) for our A1200s back then.

So I asked David Perry, video game legend and programmer of the original Genesis/Mega Drive version of Earthworm Jim, if there were any discussions about porting Earthworm Jim to the Amiga back in the day. Here's what he replied:

Quote:
I was a big fan of the Amiga, I made Supremacy on it with Nick Bruty and loved the experience. (It was called Overlord in the USA.)

I don't remember having any Earthworm Jim discussions for Amiga, and frankly I don't know why! (I wish you had been there to ask the question!)

As you say, it would have been quite an easy conversion.
Rather sad to hear that we might have gotten an Earthworm Jim Amiga version if there only had been some sort of impulse...
mc68060 is offline  
Old 09 January 2020, 13:58   #2
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 43
Posts: 16,508
Definitely not Earthworm Jim, but the character used in Gotcha reminds of EJ.
DamienD is offline  
Old 09 January 2020, 14:52   #3
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

gimbal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spijkenisse/Netherlands
Age: 38
Posts: 3,536
Earthworm Jim certainly fits the platform, surreal games just have a natural home on the Amiga.
gimbal is online now  
Old 09 January 2020, 15:42   #4
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France
dlfrsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Melun nearby Paris/France
Age: 42
Posts: 8,322
Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc68060 View Post
Earthworm Jim was released on lots of platforms and probably would have been an easy port for John Twiddy because the engine was presumably very similar to Aladdin. Unfortunately, we didn't get this insanely good jump'n'run game on maybe 6 disks (of course with a nice trackdisk loader and Rob Northen's Copylock) for our A1200s back then.

So I asked David Perry, video game legend and programmer of the original Genesis/Mega Drive version of Earthworm Jim, if there were any discussions about porting Earthworm Jim to the Amiga back in the day. Here's what he replied:



Rather sad to hear that we might have gotten an Earthworm Jim Amiga version if there only had been some sort of impulse...
why not asking him the asset of the megadrive version, and then port the game on A1200 ?
dlfrsilver is offline  
Old 09 January 2020, 15:50   #5
mc68060
With MMU and FPU!

 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: On your mainboard
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
why not asking him the asset of the megadrive version, and then port the game on A1200 ?
He doesn't own the rights to Earthworm Jim anymore and since this is still a powerful brand today I don't think he's going to do that...
mc68060 is offline  
Old 19 January 2020, 23:30   #6
Dustyarddog
Officially retro

 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Maidstone, Kent
Posts: 35
I played this to death on the Snes. An Amiga port would be nice!
Dustyarddog is offline  
Old 20 January 2020, 00:09   #7
Misclegend
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Uranus
Posts: 101
if John Twiddy had ported it,the game would have run at 25 fps instead 50

is not a good plarformer btw, was overrated
Misclegend is offline  
Old 20 January 2020, 22:55   #8
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

gimbal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spijkenisse/Netherlands
Age: 38
Posts: 3,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misclegend View Post
is not a good plarformer btw, was overrated
How edgy, hating on actually good platformers.
gimbal is online now  
Old 21 January 2020, 10:51   #9
dreadnought
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Ur, Atlantis
Posts: 115
David Perry was behind Supremacy? Didn't know, but it makes sense; one of my favourite devs (but not because of EJ) and one of my favourite Amiga games.
dreadnought is online now  
Old 21 January 2020, 22:02   #10
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Retro-Nerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Germany
Age: 48
Posts: 11,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
How edgy, hating on actually good platformers.

To be honest only the Sega CD version was good. But not a good as the hype. Too many nice looking but long animations that hindered the gameplay a lot. Especially in some very annoying jumping passages. Controls could have been better. Perry did a far better job in Aladdin.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 21 January 2020 at 22:08.
Retro-Nerd is online now  
Old 23 January 2020, 07:01   #11
redblade
Zone Friend

redblade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Middle Earth
Age: 35
Posts: 1,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misclegend View Post
if John Twiddy had ported it,the game would have run at 25 fps instead 50

is not a good plarformer btw, was overrated
25 fps > 0 fps. It looks like that engine could be reused for pitfall as well.
redblade is offline  
Old 23 January 2020, 08:33   #12
Gzegzolka
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Warszawa / Polska
Posts: 1,401
Aladdin was awesome game, also Earthworm Jim was very good one too. Second one got too many mini games instead of solid platformers levels, but this is only my humble opinion. I am sure it would be possible to port it to Amiga, just cut some special effects, lower colors and it will be just like Aladdin version. As for Pitfall it was previewed in many magazines that there will be Amiga port too, but I do not know did developers start actually working on it.
Gzegzolka is online now  
Old 23 January 2020, 11:33   #13
Steril707
Tigerskunk!

Steril707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Amiga Island
Posts: 1,254
I think on the 1200 one could do a nice enough version of it.

Loved David Perrys Work on MDK. One of my favourite games ever.
Steril707 is offline  
Old 25 January 2020, 15:21   #14
mc68060
With MMU and FPU!

 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: On your mainboard
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzegzolka View Post
As for Pitfall it was previewed in many magazines that there will be Amiga port too, but I do not know did developers start actually working on it.
Yes, they did. Galahad even saw the first level running on an Amiga! See here: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=23514
mc68060 is offline  
Old 25 January 2020, 21:54   #15
redblade
Zone Friend

redblade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Middle Earth
Age: 35
Posts: 1,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzegzolka View Post
Aladdin was awesome game, also Earthworm Jim was very good one too. Second one got too many mini games instead of solid platformers levels, but this is only my humble opinion. I am sure it would be possible to port it to Amiga, just cut some special effects, lower colors and it will be just like Aladdin version. As for Pitfall it was previewed in many magazines that there will be Amiga port too, but I do not know did developers start actually working on it.
Yeah well John Twiddy did Global Gladiators, Cool Spot and it looks like they were similar engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
I think on the 1200 one could do a nice enough version of it.
Yes it would have been great to see it on the 1200/CD32 with full joypad support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc68060 View Post
Yes, they did. Galahad even saw the first level running on an Amiga! See here: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=23514
He doesn't mention if it was for the 1200 or A500. That would have been great to have seen, hopes he tells us more of what he remembers.
redblade is offline  
Old 26 January 2020, 12:27   #16
Gzegzolka
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Warszawa / Polska
Posts: 1,401
It would be even more awesome if someone release that version
Gzegzolka is online now  
Old 26 January 2020, 14:47   #17
mc68060
With MMU and FPU!

 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: On your mainboard
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post
Yeah well John Twiddy did Global Gladiators, Cool Spot and it looks like they were similar engines.
Yes, all those games (including Earthworm Jim) used tUME, see here: https://games.greggman.com/game/tume...al_map_editor/

The Lion King, however, was done by a different team (Westwood) and is a completely different engine. That's probably why John Twiddy didn't do The Lion King Amiga port.

Here's a funny thought: Maybe Putty Squad was never released because its engine borrowed too much code from Global Gladiators, Cool Spot and Aladdin? Maybe System 3 was afraid of getting sued? That explanation makes more sense to me than the official "The Amiga market is dead!" explanation because obviously in 1994 there were still some bucks to be made, especially with a hit game like Putty Squad. There's also this Aladdin beta which has Putty Squad backgrounds in it. John Twiddy probably used a lot of code from Global Gladiators/Cool Spot/Aladdin in Putty Squad so that might also explain why it was never released back in the day.
mc68060 is offline  
Old 26 January 2020, 14:58   #18
Retro1234
Boo

Retro1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 5150
Posts: 4,520
using tUME doesn't mean anything it was used on so many games.
Retro1234 is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Was David Whittaker the laziest musician on Amiga? Galahad/FLT Nostalgia & memories 66 24 December 2019 18:04
Earthworm Jim Special Edition & Mickey Mania Sega CD amigapd MarketPlace 0 18 September 2014 01:14
David Makin - former Amiga programmer David Makin Member Introductions 23 04 February 2013 17:39
Earthworm Jim amigauser request.Old Rare Games 3 05 May 2005 12:33
Earthworm Jim madmoose request.Old Rare Games 3 22 December 2003 01:01

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.09031 seconds with 15 queries