English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 15 January 2020, 19:15   #101
Retro1234
Boo

Console Piracy was more common in Asia with devices that could copy cartridges to Floppy disk but Sega/Nintendo probably made so much money in the west they weren't that bothered. I dont know about Japan?
Old 15 January 2020, 19:17   #102
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

From what i've read console/computer piracy was nearly non-existant in Japan.
Old 15 January 2020, 19:20   #103
Retro1234
Boo

I know I read that the NES floppy system suffered from piracy but Cartridge to Floppy like the Excellent Magic Drive was more Hong Kong, Taiwan......
Old 15 January 2020, 19:32   #104
manossg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
What does the EAB think - AGA versus Megadrive?
Well, that's an easy question for me. Even now, I would easily choose even the A500 over any (yes, any) console. Reasons are;
1) My type of games are adventures, rpgs and strategy. And, even if I wanted other genres, Amiga has an extensive collection of excellent shooters, platforms and sports games.
2) I detest joypads.
Old 15 January 2020, 23:39   #105
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
I think we unfortunately just went past this threshold.
You know what, you're absolutely right. We, or rather I did. I'll be honest, I got irritated. This should just be amicable. I'll try to keep this briefer and hopefully less adversarial. With that in mind, I cut out parts to prevent more pedantry on my side. Hopefully it didn't become too terse as a result.
Quote:
A quarter is not a "very, very small number" nor a "fraction", at least not a fraction in a sense it's implied in.
And yes, yes, you could get both of these machines for the price of A1200 in 1992
See, here's the thing: I do think a quarter is a small number and only a fraction. Perhaps I worded it too strongly, but needing two systems to get there to me seems to prove my point rather than detract from it. I guess we just don't agree here.

As for buying multiple consoles, in 1992 (almost) no one did this. People either got a SNES or an MD. A few had a computer and a console. I guess this is why I reacted negatively to your comparisons. They seem a bit too one sided. On one hand you wrote we ought to look at the market of 1992, which is fair enough. But on the other, you come up with scenarios that are not based on the 1992 market.
Quote:
And let's not forget that my original point (in response to other poster you quoted) was simply that consoles had also a big library of non-twitch games (many of them absolutely iconic)
I think we're much more in agreement on this than our exchange might make it seem. We might disagree on the number of iconic games, as I can't remember much more than a couple of (admittedly stellar) SNES JRPG's, but still.
Quote:
Yes, it's 2020, but I have yet to see ports of Gunstar Heroes or Castlevania on A1200, while MD homebrew scene was always smaller and not that interested in porting UFO or some old adventures.
You'd be surprised on the MD front. They did try to get Civilization running several years back based on the SNES version, but that project died.

For the A1200, after seeing what I saw in 2019 I wouldn't even be surprised if such things ended up happening at one point or another. The A1200 (IMHO) truly is rather underrated and underutilized.

Last edited by roondar; 16 January 2020 at 00:06. Reason: Cut some more and more text out to make it shorter ;)
Old 15 January 2020, 23:50   #106
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren McGuire View Post
As a gaming machine the Megadrive would win.
No it wouldn't, because gaming isn't only platformers and shmups
Old 16 January 2020, 04:08   #107
Misclegend

The A1200 is a far better gaming machine than the megadrive
much more game titles, much better music in games

fantastic AGA games like ONescapee,ALien breed 3D2,Genetic species,Napalm : are/were impossible to release in such console
Old 16 January 2020, 10:06   #108
Steril707
Tigerskunk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
No it wouldn't, because gaming isn't only platformers and shmups
But even then, the A1200 is at least en par, if not better than the Megadrive technically, had coders explored its capabilities like they did with the A500, imho.
Old 16 January 2020, 13:18   #109
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misclegend View Post
fantastic AGA games like ONescapee,ALien breed 3D2,Genetic species,Napalm : are/were impossible to release in such console
You can't really give examples like the above.

They won't work on a stock A1200; therefore require accelerators and loads of RAM so are quite costly upgrades.
Old 16 January 2020, 14:04   #110
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post

They won't work on a stock A1200; therefore require accelerators and loads of RAM so are quite costly upgrades.
Come on its only fair PC owners have been doing it for years!
Old 16 January 2020, 14:05   #111
Steril707
Tigerskunk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Come on its only fair PC owners have been doing it for years!
Topic is A1200 vs MD, though.

That implies we are talking about vanilla machines...
Old 16 January 2020, 14:10   #112
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post

Yep i was joshing, it was more a joke about any other comparison where the PC is concerned.

Personally i got fed up with the same game styles on consoles which led me to the Amiga in the first place.
Old 16 January 2020, 14:35   #113
mcgeezer

yeah - for clarity...it's stock Amigas and not mega expanded ones that require 4Mb of Fast Ram to run a game.
Old 16 January 2020, 14:45   #114
roondar

Fair point. Though the next time someone does a 386 or SNES comparison in this thread, I say it's fine to go straight to 68060+PPC
Old 16 January 2020, 14:46   #115
DamienD
Global Moderator

Genetic Species requires 8MB Fast RAM and Napalm: The Crimson Crisis requires 16MB Fast RAM; not to mention faster CPUs so definitely not a fair comparsion.
Old 16 January 2020, 14:51   #116
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
yeah - for clarity...it's stock Amigas and not mega expanded ones that require 4Mb of Fast Ram to run a game.

Yeah but what about games like Starwing or Yoshi's Island 2 that use a special chip added on the cartridge to run on the SNES ? (Same thing for Virtua Racing on the MD).

These chips are quite important and powerful, Frontier Elite 2 was canned on this machine because the chip was mandatory but too expensive to add on the cartridge considering the sales expected for this game.
Old 16 January 2020, 14:57   #117
drHirudo
Amiga user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post

But the possibility to expand the Amiga 1200 makes it head and shoulders above any crap gaming console, including the Sega Mega Drive (Genesis).

Back in early 2000-ies I was able to connect my non-expanded Amiga 1200 (without Hard Drive) to Internet with a 56K Modem and download games from Aminet. The only downside was that I had to switch disks, so later I added IdeFIX and installed everything on CD (Still no HD), then I had an usable Internet machine from that unexpanded A1200 - which was used in such config for several months.

A Sega console that was able to Browse the Internet was the Dreamcast, only two console generations later.
Old 16 January 2020, 15:05   #118
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by drHirudo View Post
But the possibility to expand the Amiga 1200 makes it head and shoulders above any crap gaming console, including the Sega Mega Drive (Genesis).

Back in early 2000-ies I was able to connect my non-expanded Amiga 1200 (without Hard Drive) to Internet with a 56K Modem and download games from Aminet. The only downside was that I had to switch disks, so later I added IdeFIX and installed everything on CD (Still no HD), then I had an usable Internet machine from that unexpanded A1200 - which was used in such config for several months.

A Sega console that was able to Browse the Internet was the Dreamcast, only two console generations later.
The Sega Saturn had a net link to enable net access and even a floppy drive add-on in Japan.

I don’t think the Megadrive was ‘crap’ at all, it had some great games and arcade ports which is what led me to buying one after my Master System, but after a while you tire of the same genres that’s the only trouble.
Old 16 January 2020, 15:13   #119
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post

Yet, there are some 3D games that worked on unexpanded A1200, like Alien Breed 3D, Breathless, Gloom... etc... that I heavily doubt would ever be even possible on Sega (or SNES for that matter).
Hell, even 3D games on Amiga 500 like Gunship 2000, Frontier, F/18 Interceptor, No Second Prize, Frontier, and many more, are not (from my knowledge) available for either Sega or SNES.

And what about all other genres we are speaking all the time?
Anytime (before or now), I'd pick A500 over the Sega or SNES.
Old 16 January 2020, 16:42   #120
chb

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Yet, there are some 3D games that worked on unexpanded A1200, like Alien Breed 3D, Breathless, Gloom... etc... that I heavily doubt would ever be even possible on Sega (or SNES for that matter).
There are some, like Bloodshot, Duke Nukem 3D, Zero Tolerance or the 3D Levels from Toy Story... albeit they technically are rather less advanced than those you mentioned. But Bloodshot e.g. is 1x1 with some tricks...
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Hell, even 3D games on Amiga 500 like Gunship 2000, Frontier, F/18 Interceptor, No Second Prize, Frontier, and many more, are not (from my knowledge) available for either Sega or SNES.
Some games with polygonal 3D exists on the MD - Mig 29, F-22, F-117, Steel Talons, and of course Virtua Racing with its coprocesser. But you're right, they were quite rare.