English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 06 December 2019, 01:40   #541
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j View Post
Yes, it definitely could be too big for the board to see. Can you find the manual for the motherboard anywhere? I remember years ago pairing a large hard drive with a motherboard that didn't support it. Maxtor and Seagate used to do utilities to make the drive appear like it was a series of smaller drives.
But first find the manual and go from there.
all I know is its i440bx Chipset?

Believe me I wish I knew more about the Board, Never seen one in my life it looks like OCS but were they Around in 1997?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etze View Post
After I got a Voodoo-I (instead of a Banshee) for my PentiumMMX-166MHz-PC, I am very excited that I have nearly completed this build.

Now there's another building site: Pentium-II-333MHz. Which gfx-card is best suited for this processor? Riva TNT? Rage 128? Something else? No Voodoo (II) please.
I don't Recommend Rage 128 Stick With Nvidia or Different in this Era

I might sound like I don't have a clue what I am on about when saying this but a Geforce 2 mx would be Perfect for that Build?

Had nothing But Crap with the Rage/Xpert/Magnum (Whatever the hell it is) 128 no matter the Driver Release!

Dumpster diving is All well and good but finding the right Driver is a art!

According to Everest Home Edition, Chaintech is the Motherboard Supplier?

Last edited by DamienD; 06 December 2019 at 11:34.
Old 06 December 2019, 10:03   #542
lesta_smsc

Chaintech was the manufacturer of my GeForce 2 MX 200 (they made a cut down and a slightly better MX and I could only afford cut down at the time!).

This card played everything we threw at it and at excellent speed. Seems like it was faultless back in the day so I could 2nd that suggestion by @nathanm1991. Though I would still say the S3 Savage Pro was also a great card that, like glide on Voodoo, had excellent texture compression to optimise high textured graphics without loss in frame rate.
Old 06 December 2019, 11:35   #543
DamienD
Global Moderator

@nathanm1991, I've merged 5 x "back to back" posts that were minutes apart yet again.

Please use the multi quote going forward
Old 06 December 2019, 13:13   #544
Stewcumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanm1991 View Post
all I know is its i440bx Chipset?

Believe me I wish I knew more about the Board, Never seen one in my life it looks like OCS but were they Around in 1997?

According to Everest Home Edition, Chaintech is the Motherboard Supplier?
Does the board have a model number anywhere on it? What does CPU-Z make of the board and BIOS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Chaintech was the manufacturer of my GeForce 2 MX 200 (they made a cut down and a slightly better MX and I could only afford cut down at the time!).

This card played everything we threw at it and at excellent speed. Seems like it was faultless back in the day so I could 2nd that suggestion by @nathanm1991. Though I would still say the S3 Savage Pro was also a great card that, like glide on Voodoo, had excellent texture compression to optimise high textured graphics without loss in frame rate.
I am also a fan of the MX cards. I'm also a poster on VOGONS and they're quite picky about hardware set ups and they would probably say Vodoo 2 or go home, but I'm all for saving money and getting slightly newer and more reliable hardware. I'd say an MX2 or 4 series card will be perfect - that is, powerful enough to be completely CPU limited. And they cost about 5p these days; they seem to find you rather than you find them! A TNT2 of somekind will probably be powerful enough too.

On my original 400MHz P2 I was CPU limited with a TNT2 Pro when gaming at 800*600 on 1999 games.
Old 06 December 2019, 21:27   #545
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

@DamienD

Sorry I will from Future Posts :-) I know how to multi quote again now
Old 06 December 2019, 21:40   #546
DamienD
Global Moderator

No problem Nathan
Old 06 December 2019, 23:13   #547
Mikerochip

Quote:
Yes I have tried both cable select and slave with Jumper settings. I haven't tried the 32gb clip option with slave or cable select though or the 15 heads options. shall I try the 32 gb clip to see if it is down to issue of size?

Be sure the other drive supports slave, too.
It might be set to "Master Only". Might need to be set to "Master + Slave"
Or even try Cable Select on both drives.

Take off the first drive, and try only the second drive. What is it picked up as?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j View Post
Yes, it definitely could be too big for the board to see. Can you find the manual for the motherboard anywhere? I remember years ago pairing a large hard drive with a motherboard that didn't support it. Maxtor and Seagate used to do utilities to make the drive appear like it was a series of smaller drives.
But first find the manual and go from there.
The manual is good advice!
But I had a 320GB IDE drive in my PII Motherboard, so, it definitely depends on the board. Only really early boards didn't support 48 bit address.

If, in the bios, you see a "Large HDD" option, or LBA48, you might need to enable that. Many early bios builds left it disabled, even though the board supported it.

And, check too, if the drive supports a 32GB limit. If you set that jumper, does it get picked up in the bios?

Last edited by Mikerochip; 06 December 2019 at 23:21.
Old 06 December 2019, 23:28   #548
lesta_smsc

Unless there is a BIOS update that may support larger drive. Several motherboards have unofficial BIOS updates as well to unlock additional features that are hidden or disabled by default.

I know one of my motherboards needed an update to use a newer CPU which was ironic as I didn't have a CPU that was compatible so borrowed it literally for flashing the BIOS.
Old 07 December 2019, 05:36   #549
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewcumber View Post
Does the board have a model number anywhere on it? What does CPU-Z make of the board and BIOS?

I am also a fan of the MX cards. I'm also a poster on VOGONS and they're quite picky about hardware set ups and they would probably say Vodoo 2 or go home, but I'm all for saving money and getting slightly newer and more reliable hardware. I'd say an MX2 or 4 series card will be perfect - that is, powerful enough to be completely CPU limited. And they cost about 5p these days; they seem to find you rather than you find them! A TNT2 of somekind will probably be powerful enough too.

On my original 400MHz P2 I was CPU limited with a TNT2 Pro when gaming at 800*600 on 1999 games.
I am going to turn it on Now and See if Everest Will shed any light on Bios Version Etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerochip View Post

Take off the first drive, and try only the second drive. What is it picked up as?

But I had a 320GB IDE drive in my PII Motherboard, so, it definitely depends on the board. Only really early boards didn't support 48 bit address.

If, in the bios, you see a "Large HDD" option, or LBA48, you might need to enable that. Many early bios builds left it disabled, even though the board supported it.

And, check too, if the drive supports a 32GB limit. If you set that jumper, does it get picked up in the bios?
Do you know such a Noob Error have not even though to Check Jumper Setting on the Main Drive. The Bios definitely doesn't have a Large HDD or LBA48 Option so I would say I need to Check the Jumper Setting on the First Drive Again. There is a option for 32gb Clip on the Secondary Large Drive but I didn't try that yet I wanted to see what peoples thoughts on it were. Will try everything you Suggest now :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etze View Post
After I got a Voodoo-I (instead of a Banshee) for my PentiumMMX-166MHz-PC, I am very excited that I have nearly completed this build.

Now there's another building site: Pentium-II-333MHz. Which gfx-card is best suited for this processor? Riva TNT? Rage 128? Something else? No Voodoo (II) please.
I Have both Geforce 2 mx and 440 mx Sat here if you need either?
Old 07 December 2019, 06:18   #550
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

The Drive will only work in 32gb clip mode?
Old 07 December 2019, 06:41   #551
lesta_smsc

Back in the day we didn't have a large screen size so I used the TV-out option on GeForce 2 MX 200 to connect PC to our main TV. Wow! The picture quality was great and had a nice CRT TV to play it on.

In fact, I've just gone and bought a 28" 4:3 CRT TV for my retro machines! Fired it up with MAME, Amiga etc and it's looks amazing! Bye bye pixelated graphics lol.
Old 07 December 2019, 07:45   #552
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Back in the day we didn't have a large screen size so I used the TV-out option on GeForce 2 MX 200 to connect PC to our main TV. Wow! The picture quality was great and had a nice CRT TV to play it on.

In fact, I've just gone and bought a 28" 4:3 CRT TV for my retro machines! Fired it up with MAME, Amiga etc and it's looks amazing! Bye bye pixelated graphics lol.
Jealous im currently playing on a 14" CRT With my Retro Systems
Old 07 December 2019, 09:11   #553
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Jealous im currently playing on a 14" CRT With my Retro Systems
I have 2 x 14". Both in near mint condition. I'm planning on selling the Hitachi. Not sure whether to eBay it as this size is well sought after.
Old 07 December 2019, 13:43   #554
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerochip View Post

It will Only Work in 32GB CLIP Mode in Master not on Cable Select so it's on the Secondary IDE Set to Master and have Read up that the Chaintech 6BTM has a 40GB Hdd Limit with older Bioses. Have Acquired the Newest Bios just Building up the Confidence to Burn it to Floppy now
Old 07 December 2019, 15:05   #555
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Turns out I was Wrong it's a Chaintech 6BTA3 Model Board

Last edited by nathanm1991; 07 December 2019 at 15:06. Reason: Spelling Mistake
Old 07 December 2019, 16:44   #556
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Having no Luck what so ever Finding the Bios for this Board :-( Could anyone point me in a Direction of a good place to look?
Old 07 December 2019, 16:48   #557
DamienD
Global Moderator

Nothing here?

... https://www.wimsbios.com/biosupdates/chaintech.jsp
... http://www.kva.kursk.ru/bios1/HTML1/chaintech.html

Edit: here you go: >> click <<
Old 07 December 2019, 16:51   #558
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Its just telling me to download bios agent plus? I find the Bios but cannot download it
Old 07 December 2019, 16:55   #559
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Its just telling me to download bios agent plus? I find the Bios but cannot download it
Ok, think you need to register on that site then... just create / use a spam e-mail account for this purpose.
Old 07 December 2019, 16:56   #560
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Ok, think you need to register on that site then... just create / use a spam e-mail account for this purpose.
I tried that also :-( Doomed lol