English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 15 May 2019, 02:18   #1
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Vintage watches. Casio and others from then.

Hi

I love vintage watches (moderns too, but what's new?). I like most Casio and Seiko automatic ones.

-For moderators and so: Remember that vintage watches from the 80's could have games and so. So I just "think" that this kind of thread is OK here. Back then, a calculator was somekind of a game, believe me -

It was around 1984? when my father bought me a Casio 53W. It has a calculator. It's the one that you could see in the "Back to the Future" movie from 1985.

It's the same watch (well, I buy one like every three years) that I'm using right now.

Today I've decided to "change" and buy something different for the next, so I've just bought a Casio DBC-32-1AES. I hadn't seen it before. This is it: https://www.ebay.es/itm/NEW-AND-ORIG...72.m2749.l2649

I know that there are some million lovely vintage/vintage look watches out there. The ones that you liked back then when you were playing with your old computers.

So this can be the thread to talk about them.

What watch were you using/what watch did you like/what watch do you like with retro feeling?

This is a Casio 53W

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F..._CA-53W,_1.jpg

Last edited by Retrofan; 15 May 2019 at 03:56.
Old 15 May 2019, 03:09   #2
MartinW

Not as retro as you are probably thinking but I bought one of these 20 years ago and I still love it. Sadly I can't wear it any more as my wrist is a lot smaller now (no idea why?!), the strap cannot be adjusted without permanently cutting it and replacements can't be bought any more - at least not for sane money. One day I'll find a suitable replacement strap and start to wear it again.

Mind you, very difficult to live without my Apple Watch now that I've had one for a couple years!
Old 15 May 2019, 03:18   #3
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Great thread idea. I'm still looking for the right "retro" watch. All I used to have back then was whatever cheap digital plastic crap I'd got my hands on at a market or whatever, but always wanted a calculator watch or databank.

Oddly, it's the Apple watch that made me think "NOPE! One step too far for me. Why do we have to be so plugged in all the time? And what was wrong with watches that didn't need to be put on charge every night?"

So I just made this decision to NEVER own a smart watch, and I am determined to go retro instead lol.
Old 15 May 2019, 08:33   #4
meynaf
son of 68k

Still wearing my old Kelton digital watch from 1986.
You can't be more retro than me
Old 15 May 2019, 10:10   #5
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Still wearing my old Kelton digital watch from 1986.
You can't be more retro than me
Actually.....I can. I'll take a quick video tonight of my "time piece"

Wont fit on my wrist though.
Old 15 May 2019, 10:16   #6
Gordon
Settler

I always wanted one of these

but had this

I now have a SEIKO kintic, which I have had various versions since being an adult
Old 15 May 2019, 10:28   #7
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
With my first months wages when I was 16. I bought one of these bad boys. Which I still have some where around the house. Used to have lots of fun in college controlling TV's, .

Old 15 May 2019, 10:39   #8
Daedalus

I had a Casio World Time Twincept watch which I loved (mechanical hands overlayed with a digital display of date, timer etc.) Wore it almost every day for probably 15 or 20 years until I cracked the case of it when I forgot to take it off while working on my car. When I went looking to replace it, I thought it was funny that it's now considered "vintage" on eBay and the likes, and thus commanding a higher price than I paid for it 25+ years ago. Then I realised that I'm old...
Old 15 May 2019, 12:36   #9
DamienD
Banned

...not exactly a retro watch, but I purchased a nice "Breitling Transocean Chronograph Limited Edition 2000" about 4 years ago:

I will keep this for life and if I ever have children, it will be passed down
Old 15 May 2019, 14:25   #10
rcman
Long time Amiga Owner

I really like my TAG

RC
Old 15 May 2019, 14:28   #11
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Casio always ruled. I have been using them for all my life and even today they have a wide range of beautiful retro-models. Remember "7 melodies chrono"?
Old 15 May 2019, 14:28   #12
Frog

i recently bought a vintage casio watch : the model F-91W-1YER, it's supposed to work for about 7-9 years with the same battery ! Simple, no internet connection, no wired

I'll use it for working and as i work outside, I needed a solid watch which lasts several years, which resists water in case of rain and cheap. it seemed to me to be the best choice.

These solar model are also interesting
the first solar watch : the Synchronar 2100

[ Show youtube player ]

or the Casio AL-190WD-1A AL190

In my childhood i also liked the calculator watches.

The casio watch with the wrist remote controller was ahead of its time. It was funny to see so many different design of watches, for sure they sometimes took some risks in creating some model.

And it was a certain luxury to wear a Japanese watch rather than a Swiss watch.
Old 15 May 2019, 18:27   #13
jurassicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
...not exactly a retro watch, but I purchased a nice "Breitling Transocean Chronograph Limited Edition 2000" about 4 years ago:

I will keep this for life and if I ever have children, it will be passed down

This is a great watch, indeed!
I'd like to have one like this, one day!
Old 15 May 2019, 21:08   #14
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurassicman View Post
This is a great watch, indeed!
I'd like to have one like this, one day!
Thanks

I do love it!!! Unlike some Breitling watches which are way too over the top, this one for me is elegant and classy.

I do try to take good care of it, though wear every day, which probably isn't a good idea but...

It's probably the single most expensive thing that I own to be honest, but I think every man needs a nice watch.

BTW "2000" is not the year of manufacture (I purchased brand new in September 2015), it just means that only 2000 were made. Mine is number 338
Old 15 May 2019, 21:33   #15
rare_j
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog View Post
i recently bought a vintage casio watch : the model F-91W-1YER, it's supposed to work for about 7-9 years with the same battery ! Simple, no internet connection, no wired

I'll use it for working and as i work outside, I needed a solid watch which lasts several years, which resists water in case of rain and cheap. it seemed to me to be the best choice.
I've worn one every day for nearly 7 years now, had three new straps, and, last year, a new battery. But it stands up to garden work, painting, swimming, all sorts and I've come to respect how hard wearing it is. Good choice.
Old 15 May 2019, 22:12   #16
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I have been wearing my current Casio W-E10 for 13 years now. Most of the false chrome is now gone and it revealed the light plastic beneath, but it still works like a charm. The original battery lasted for 10 years. Tell this to the modern smart watches.
Old 16 May 2019, 02:33   #17
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

I see your "retro" and raise you one mid 1800's time piece
Un-restored. Original cat gut. Still working (once I leveled it)

But yeah....doesn't really fit on my wrist :P

Actually the moon dial doesn't turn but there is nothing in the mechanism to turn it either, so trying to research if some were manual. Still looking into that part.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RetroWatch.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	63094  
Old 18 May 2019, 01:16   #18
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Wow. What amazing watches here. I really enjoy reading the posts, comments and watches shown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Casio always ruled. I have been using them for all my life and even today they have a wide range of beautiful retro-models. Remember "7 melodies chrono"?
I remember a watch I owned that had several melodies and in fact I would like to know what model and brand it was. It had as example a programmable happy birthday melody that would sing that day, or one for Christmas and much more. I don't think mine was Casio though but I could be wrong

@005AGIMA My parents had a Kienzle clock very similar to the one you show in the photo. In fact it was much better and it had a couple of parts that your image is missing. After they died like four years ago they had said that it had to be sold and the money shared among us, but my brother took it for him and .. that's all .
Edit: I forgot to say that my father also had another Kienzle one that wasn't working and I restored it and also a Junghans one that I also restored and keeped for myself .

Last edited by Retrofan; 18 May 2019 at 01:25.
Old 19 May 2019, 16:09   #19
bartread

I used to have a Casio GD-8 racing game watch as a kid back in the 80s. One of these:

[ Show youtube player ]

Loved it. Stopped wearing in sometime in the early 90s in favour of a more grown-up Lorus, which my parents gave me, because the Casio was a pretty dweeby thing to rock as a teenager.

Anyway, having got into watches properly a few years ago, and having no idea what had happened to my GD-8 (I don't remember specifically getting rid of it but my step-dad was a fiend for getting me to clear stuff out and get rid of it back in the day), I thought about picking one up off eBay. At the time I found two available, both over £200. Couldn't believe it.

For the heck of it I just checked again, but this time came up empty handed. Still, £200 for a watch that can't have cost more than about £20 back in the 80s isn't bad as investments go, if you still had one in working order. Looking at other Casio game watches on eBay now and they all seem to go for crazy money.
Old 19 May 2019, 16:22   #20
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartread View Post
but my step-dad was a fiend for getting me to clear stuff out and get rid of it back in the day
...sound like my step father also