English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.TOSEC (amiga only)

Old 02 October 2012, 23:08   #41
Crashdisk

we are human, so yes there may be errors! but not too much because I recheck ... at least for the dats files ^^
Old 02 October 2012, 23:09   #42
PandMonium

Nice work guys, that's really valuable info. I think you both should post more about that here or in tosec forum documenting your efforts and explaining how you do it. It is indeed awesome to see those discoveries
Old 02 October 2012, 23:12   #43
mai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashdisk View Post
we are human
...indeed.
Old 04 October 2012, 17:53   #44
Ian
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mai View Post
Sorry, no suggestion by me for valid reason, i think.
We have already 23 sets of "Battle chess" in TOSEC.
If there is no important difference to existing sets, i dont add further sets of this game.
This would end up to have 1000000+ new sets, which are not really needed.
Currently i have ~20000 renamed sets on my HDD, which i will not include in TOSEC.
I agree there are too many [a] & [b]'s but all the ones i have come from old scene cds and bbs repositories. They will get added at some point so there's not much point not adding them.

Best option is to split the b's out into their own dat and correctly name the a's.

That will also make it easier to recheck the [b] files as i bet a good percentage actually work in winuae now.
Old 04 October 2012, 18:04   #45
mai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post

Best option is to correctly name the a's.
I have tried to do this in the past.

Quote:
That will also make it easier to recheck the [b] files as i bet a good percentage actually work in winuae now.
show me this sets!

Last edited by mai; 04 October 2012 at 18:14.
Old 04 October 2012, 19:42   #46
Ian
Global Moderator

Quote:
I have tried to do this in the past.
I know you have. Others should try too.

Quote:
show me this sets!
There are loads for example chinese karate from another thread. If you really think all the images that are currently marked bad actually still are then i don't know what to say. The improvement in winuae over the last few years pretty much guarentees it.
Old 04 October 2012, 19:55   #47
mai

Quote:

There are loads for example chinese karate from another thread. .
Ah, you mean set in
Commodore Amiga - Compilations - Games (TOSEC-v2012-07-02_CM)
Who does maintains this dat? - noone - so no improvements
Meanwhile there is a set in
Commodore Amiga - Games - [ADF] (TOSEC-v2012-09-09_CM)
a "Chinese Karate" set, which is not marked as bad.
Old 04 October 2012, 22:12   #48
PandMonium

We all know that "Commodore Amiga - Games - [ADF]" is probably the most well renamed dat of the entire TOSEC dat collection, still errors are there too.

What Ian is saying is that we cannot assume that every entry in the dats (all, not only this) are ok. Not that long ago, the renaming process was based on launching the roms in the emulator (sometimes even altering them), getting the basic idea of what the software was and change the name, hence the high number of duplicates.

The verified good dump flag [!], for instance was used loosely. In ISOs represents 2 dumps from distinct discs/persons which matched. In consoles some used it to mark things like "a game playable until the end". The same with bad dumps, many bad dump flags were attributed because the software didn't start with an emulator, or had some errors - this could actually be the emulator's fault.
Old 04 October 2012, 22:26   #49
Ian
Global Moderator

First [b] in the list from game - adf dat (Ignoring those that are [b checksum error], actually works.

4D Sports Driving v1.2 (1992-01-10)(Mindscape)(Disk 1 of 2)[cr CSL][f AGA SYX][b]

What is has is an AGA intro that looks corrupted in "A500" mode - mouse click later, game starts to load and the intro is displayed correctly in "AGA" mode as you would expect.

Like PandMonium said, files where renamed using UAE of some description, and now it's far closer to emulating the real thing than it ever was so I guess a large number of [b]'s will actually work.

Last edited by Ian; 04 October 2012 at 22:37.
Old 04 October 2012, 22:44   #50
mai

Quote:

4D Sports Driving v1.2 (1992-01-10)(Mindscape)(Disk 1 of 2)[cr CSL][f AGA SYX][b]

What is has is an AGA intro that looks corrupted in "A500" mode - mouse click later, game starts to load and the intro is displayed correctly in "AGA" mode as you would expect.
still bad for me, game dont start in AGA and OCS mode.

ok, you have to use 2 Floppy drives, is not working for me with one Drive only, disk change is not recognized in opposite to the "CSL" version, so you are right, not bad at all.

Last edited by mai; 04 October 2012 at 22:51.
Old 04 October 2012, 23:37   #51
PandMonium

On the other hand, a game being playable doesn't means it is not a bad dump, obviously :P
Old 05 October 2012, 10:45   #52
mai

Quote:

ok, you have to use 2 Floppy drives, is not working for me with one Drive only, disk change is not recognized in opposite to the "CSL" version, so you are right, not bad at all.
Can you confirm this, so i can remove [b] flag and replace it with [more info] flag, for example [req. DF1] or similar.
Anyway, is it an AGA fix?
Old 05 October 2012, 11:08   #53
Ian
Global Moderator

I will have to test later if you press fire on the joystick it starts loading from disk 2 although it stops at track 58.
Old 05 October 2012, 11:12   #54
mai

Quote:
I will have to test later if you press fire on the joystick it starts loading from disk 2 although it stops at track 58.
indeed, then nothing happens.
probably this was the reason for adding [b], have not checked with 2 Drives before.
Old 05 October 2012, 11:50   #55
Ian
Global Moderator

Personally i doubt that. I think it just didn't work before. it's probably a very poor fix but it does work if disk 2 is already present the name should reflect that.
Old 21 April 2013, 10:45   #56
Vicky

.DAT files

Hi eve3ryone,

I stumbled across the tosecdev,org site and have downloaded some of the archives and 3 ROM maNAGERS. I can't figure out how to get started with this. I have searched the internet for hours looking for instructions.

Can someone help?

Vicky
Old 21 April 2013, 11:01   #57
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Have a look at the second post in this thread : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=42963
Replace the file names for DAT with the newest ones of course (and you won't find a 'combined' one)
Old 21 April 2013, 14:12   #58
PandMonium

There's also a looooong video explaining how to use Romvault to manage roms. It's one of best tools to manage all the tosec dats: [ Show youtube player ]

Note that the video was done for a previous version of the tool, not sure if everything is similar currently.