English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 14 September 2022, 15:59   #41
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherno View Post
MDK is truly a game where you can't help but think of one word: FUN! It delivers on all fronts: Graphics, sound, the sense of humor, overall style, and most importantly: The gameplay always has somethng new to offer throughout the campaign, be it sniping puzzles, sneaking past alien guards, the between-maps-parachute-jumps, or a top-down bombing run over a battlefield full of enemies. This type of game is nowadays sadly only seen in the indie scene, while it was a big release back then, with developer Shiny on top of their game.
Yep. When the game came out I was really not sure what to think about it as the start of the game (running through a corridor) didn't seem very fun, but the intro text and the mini-nuke hinted at some interesting. The longer you play the game the better it becomes. That sadly doesn't happen that often anymore as games put everything in a tutorial at the start so that you won't ever have to wonder what to do in the game.
Old 14 September 2022, 16:38   #42
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
No I do not, and now I feel silly as I didn't realise I'd need it. This is why I tried to install the win95 version. Which does load, but asks me for the disk to be inserted into Drive G:, and I have no Drive G:

You can mount ISO in modern windows and change config file that has disk installation data or just look for NoCD patch, as TCD suggested.

For this game, probably best to use DOSBox, as that works well.
Old 14 September 2022, 16:55   #43
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Also loved that these HUGE CITY SIZED alien crawlers always ran towards little english shit towns and you had to prevent them from doing that...

What a fun game.
Old 15 September 2022, 01:08   #44
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Is your A4000 accelerated at all?

Didn't know DOS stuff was possible on our Amigas.
Yeah a little bit, running Dosbox_wos on my 950MHz Ragnarok on the Mediator.
Old 15 September 2022, 04:44   #45
stevsurv
Beta 1.666

Played MDK and MDK 2 and finished them both. There were some challenging bits I remember, but all enjoyable fun. Graphically not bad for its time and gameplay good. I still have the complete original games for both. Was a good era for gaming.
Old 15 September 2022, 13:16   #46
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
You can mount ISO in modern windows and change config file that has disk installation data or just look for NoCD patch, as TCD suggested.

For this game, probably best to use DOSBox, as that works well.
Whaddya know, there was a nocd included with the iso. Just copied the nocd.exe in exchange for the WIN95.exe and hey presto game works like a charm! Thanks all for that TCD and Anubis.
Old 15 September 2022, 13:54   #47
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerskunk View Post
Also loved that these HUGE CITY SIZED alien crawlers always ran towards little english shit towns and you had to prevent them from doing that...

What a fun game.
I'm guessing you just ignored the one that hit Grimsby...
Old 15 September 2022, 16:38   #48
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevsurv View Post
Was a good era for gaming.
The end of a good era of gaming. 1996 and onwards was the time period where you would essentially start to need to buy a new PC every 2 months just to be able to keep up... I remember we got a Pentium 120 and then like a month later the magazines started to list minimum system requirements to be a Pentium 133 MMX. Yeah great... was stuck with that P120 for a good 4 years still. We even got Need for Speed SE with the machine and it kind of ran like a turkey on it I mostly played Quake 1 and Duke3D on it, and for the rest games I could have and had played on my existing 486...

By the looks of it I could have played MDK though. The game never spoke to me from magazine screenshots and box shots. It looked... odd.
Old 15 September 2022, 17:00   #49
Cherno

As a fun fact: The transparent, textureless walls in some maps were supposedly used to keep the polycount down Luckily, it adds to the wacky style!
Old 15 September 2022, 19:07   #50
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Whaddya know, there was a nocd included with the iso. Just copied the nocd.exe in exchange for the WIN95.exe and hey presto game works like a charm! Thanks all for that TCD and Anubis.
Glad to hear you got it working
Old 17 September 2022, 12:51   #51
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Glad to hear you got it working
Sure did! Runs great on my PC.
Old 25 September 2022, 17:19   #52
stobros

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFou! View Post
it was a great PC game with 3DFX patch!
Indeed! Very cool game of 90s PC era. Nightmare Creatures was my favourite, tho.
Old 30 September 2022, 17:32   #53
Korban

Yes, I remember it fairly well.

Pretty much zero chance of an Amiga version though other than ppc machines and pistorm + emu68 equipped systems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221001_012255.png
Views:	37
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	76727