English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 14 August 2018, 08:09   #21
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
But yes, if Leander was badly cracked, some platform was missing in a cave somewhere, making the game impossible to complete. Nice.

Kids Blow version wasn't cracked properly, Company version worked fine. And the Leander video contains so much of false information it's not even funny anymore. Coder thinks he has invented the best protection ever while it wasn't anything special at all.
Old 14 August 2018, 08:46   #22
jotd
This cat is no more

Fun fact about leander: For the whdload slave, I cracked the protection without even noticing (the long track one, I mean). One thing I did not check was if the platform is there, but I suppose that someone would have noticed since then.
Old 14 August 2018, 17:07   #23
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Fun fact about leander: For the whdload slave, I cracked the protection without even noticing (the long track one, I mean). One thing I did not check was if the platform is there, but I suppose that someone would have noticed since then.
Fun fact about Nitro. Some checksums, but even by accident I didn't trigger them, they were so poorly implemented that you'd literally have to have a NOP trigger finger and spray them all over the code to get them to activate.
Old 14 August 2018, 17:10   #24
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Kids Blow version wasn't cracked properly, Company version worked fine. And the Leander video contains so much of false information it's not even funny anymore. Coder thinks he has invented the best protection ever while it wasn't anything special at all.
The most hilarious thing about it is he thinks he was first with the ideas, and you've got people in the comments section thinking he's a genius, and yet this type of protection was implemented by lots of people long before Leander.

Wasn't even his disk protection.
Old 14 August 2018, 17:29   #25
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
yep, the protec longtrack is a generic type of duplicator long track.

Nothing to beat a dead horse about.
Old 14 August 2018, 18:04   #26
jotd
This cat is no more

For Leander, I first redirected the data loader (which requests files with actual names, that I like!) to JST load routines. Then a DSKRDY loop caught my eye (it was the protection but I thought it was a remnant of a disk-in-drive check). I skipped that part somehow: worked. Maybe I was lucky when I skipped it.
Old 14 August 2018, 20:53   #27
modrobert
old bearded fool

The secret DREADPIRATEROBERTS address hidden by subtraction and addition; (DREADPIRATEROBERTS-428) + 628 - 200 = DREADPIRATEROBERTS. Mind blown, using relative address modes, oh no, I'm thrown off the scent.

Seriously, if possible. I do like TT games and Jon Burton seems to be a skilled programmer, but he should probably avoid copy protection. Also, a bit of humour and self criticism wouldn't hurt when looking back at code from nearly three decades ago.
Old 14 August 2018, 21:15   #28
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by modrobert View Post
The secret DREADPIRATEROBERTS address hidden by subtraction and addition; (DREADPIRATEROBERTS-428) + 628 - 200 = DREADPIRATEROBERTS. Mind blown, using relative address modes, oh no, I'm thrown off the scent.

Seriously, if possible. I do like TT games and Jon Burton seems to be a skilled programmer, but he should probably avoid copy protection. Also, a bit of humour and self criticism wouldn't hurt when looking back at code from nearly three decades ago.
He did the same for his "protection" on Puggsy on the Megadrive, it was as bad as Amiga Leander for inventiveness.
Old 14 August 2018, 21:18   #29
jotd
This cat is no more

At least Puggsy on amiga was completely unprotected.
Old 14 August 2018, 22:29   #30
roondar

To be fair to the man, I've definitely played at least one 'cracked' version of Leander that did in fact not have all of the protection removed - so at a certain point there was a missing platform and that was it.

My guess is that it's not so much that the protection was necessarily great, but that the game seemed to work just fine even if you didn't fully remove the protection. Perhaps some crackers just didn't go about playing the entire game afterwards to see if it worked or not.

Had kind of the same happen with a version of Gods, where the cracked version omitted all the boss fights. Rest of the game was intact, though.
Old 14 August 2018, 22:41   #31
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by modrobert View Post

The idea to obfuscate certain memory/code accesses isn't bad at all. However, it neither was a new idea nor was it implemented well in Leander.

Quote:
Seriously, if possible. I do like TT games and Jon Burton seems to be a skilled programmer, but he should probably avoid copy protection.
I'd rather think he should avoid speaking about copy protection.

Quote:
Also, a bit of humour and self criticism wouldn't hurt when looking back at code from nearly three decades ago.
+1
Old 14 August 2018, 23:42   #32
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
At least Puggsy on amiga was completely unprotected.
Nope Jotd, this game is copylocked. I owned it in original, and if my memory doesn't fail me, it was protected.
Old 15 August 2018, 00:31   #33
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Nope Jotd, this game is copylocked. I owned it in original, and if my memory doesn't fail me, it was protected.
The copy of Puggsy I own is unprotected, as is SPS 1113, no Copylock or hidden sectors!!
Old 15 August 2018, 01:34   #34
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Just checked it, no Copylock track on any of the 4 disks, where the Copylock track would be located if it was there is data on all 4 disks.

Checked the Delirium version just in case, and they only mentioned who it was supplied by, no reference to cracking.

Guess it wasn't protected
Old 15 August 2018, 02:45   #35
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Well ok then
Old 15 August 2018, 22:30   #36
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

The result provided by a wrong answer in the following copy-protection is really great
[ Show youtube player ]
If the link is not correctly working, jump to time 49:16
Old 15 August 2018, 23:23   #37
jotd
This cat is no more

@dlfrsilver about Puggsy I remember vivid NOT having to crack it to create the whdload install
Old 26 August 2018, 12:38   #38
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Kids Blow
Old 26 August 2018, 13:40   #39
BarryB
Amigaholic

Or was they called Shit Row at one time?

BTW, don't type 'Kids Blow' into a search engine as you might be flagged as a Paedophile