English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 22 February 2005, 18:14   #1
Amiga1992

Dpaint IV AGA problem (DiskSalv 2 saved my arse)

Oh gosh, I had a shit of a night yesterday...

I was pixelling all day with DPIV AGA, making stuff for our new version of the website... Work was going steady and I progressed quite a bunch, a prolific day.

It was late at night and I decided to hit the "Save" command once again. DPIV came up with some strange fucking error, like "Can't Save. Not an IFF File"... I thought "WTF?!?". Proceeded to save again and it wouldn't come up with the "overwrite" requester, the screen barely flashed and I feeled like it was not saving anything. Tried to save as another file, same crap, first "not an IFF file", then nothing.

I remember DPIV AGA doing this one or two times before, dunno why. In a desperate move to salvage all what I haven't saved, (not much but pretty much) I moved into Workbench to try and load PPaint to make a clipboard copy, moment at which the Amiga locked up (!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I rebooted it, mad because I lost what I couldn't get to save. Tried to open the file I was working with and it was FUCKING GONE!!!!!!! ALL the work was BINNED. I was absolutely rampage. WTF had happened??? I cursed myself for not making the switch to SFS yet (surely FFS had something to do with this shit). Silently, I insulted my A1200 like never before and even my girlfriend for being there and previously arguing with me over some stupid shit.

So I took my HD, inserted it in the PC, and off I went to Aminet to download my much hated DiskSalv, which version 11.32 (DiskSalv 2) happens to be a mighty FINE beast that scanned my whole HD and restored my lost file for me. I was more than thankful. In the process I found all the undeletable shit that is lying in my HD and that I should wipe it to clean it up.

To cut a long story short, DiskSalv "salvaged" my arse, and DPIV AGA is a bitch. Anybody ever got this error, and knows why it happens and how to work around it? I really would like to avoid it in the future, since it can happen any time, it seems.
Old 22 February 2005, 22:47   #2
ant512

I've seen that error before. Memory fragmentation, maybe? Or just a bug of some sort. Perhaps it's time to download a screengrabber with a small memory footprint, like SGrab, just in case?
Old 23 February 2005, 03:07   #3
Amiga1992

Well, I usually run PPaint concurrently with DPIV to exchange stuff and save asGIF/PNG on PPaint, but this tiem I didnt have it on. And when I was going to boot it, the Amiga freezed, so I got fudged.

Still, why did DPIV delete the file instead of saving it???? Is this a DPIV fault or an FFS fault?
Old 23 February 2005, 09:48   #4
ant512

I'd guess that DPaint tried to save the file then went wrong, aborting the operation. So, the old file gets deleted, and the new file doesn't save. Even so, you should really be running a filesystem a bit more reliable than FFS.
Old 23 February 2005, 10:09   #5
keropi

isn't FFS the os3,9 default filesystem?
Old 23 February 2005, 17:38   #6
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant512
I'd guess that DPaint tried to save the file then went wrong, aborting the operation. So, the old file gets deleted, and the new file doesn't save. Even so, you should really be running a filesystem a bit more reliable than FFS.
Well,the file didn't disapear UNTIL I rebooted. Which was hella strange.

Ayway, I'm backing it all up into my PC's HD and installing SFS afresh, will have to do some reading on the board and post some lame n00b questions Correct me f I'm wrong, but I ca't make the boot drive SFS, can I?
Old 23 February 2005, 18:08   #7
ant512

You can make the boot drive SFS. You just have to install SFS into the bootblock of the boot disk, and set its filetype to SFS/0 (or something like that). There should be a stack of documentation about this on the net, if there isn't enough provided with the filesystem.
Old 23 February 2005, 19:01   #8
Amiga1992

I know, but I am entitled to n00b questions, am I not?

;D

Thanks, I'll see what I do, but I'm making the switch pronto. Having the opportunity to back it all up to my PC's HD is grand.