English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 08 January 2017, 17:09   #121
jediknight

thats great 25mhz already your doing a great job its going to be a great piece of hardware that will bring some life in too the old dog lol cant wait for more updates.
Old 08 January 2017, 17:33   #122
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediknight View Post
thats great 25mhz already your doing a great job its going to be a great piece of hardware that will bring some life in too the old dog lol cant wait for more updates.
I have a cold and i'm getting settled into a new job so it may be a week or so. (i hope not longer anyways)
Old 08 January 2017, 20:18   #123
Pat the Cat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmab View Post
I've never seen a PCB manufacturer do anything but copper for tracks.. they do all sorts of different weights of copper at different prices. I've seen (and worked with) Aluminium substrate boards but they've always been copper for the tracks... and different weights of copper make more than 20p per board difference (at 10cm x 10cm).

Happy to be wrong... Just never seen it in 20 years of doing this.

EDIT: I'm also pretty sure copper has the best undercut performance too.
OK, but there are ways, just not done by UK manufacturers. They're too cheap and too cut throat, but that's the UK for you.

I was lucky learning about this, one of my first jobs was in a lab with prototype boards. Often they'd come in properly screwed, tracks hanging off, even holes missing sometimes. Guess who got to fix the tracks?

You can avoid a lot of this stuff if you don't use etch tanks, but a lot of that stuff is proprietary so I won't talk about it. Some is alledgedly open source, and basiclly involves ways of laying very carefully controlled silver traces down. But you don't have to use exotic materials even, really. You just have to add stages to the process, and the manufacturers won't do that. Not without charging.

You can just accept the kerf (gap or void) will be there when it comes out the tank and add another process to fix it, that's what they do.

Back in the day, I just used to re-tin the boards very carefully, at an angle. The Kerf soaks up the solder - track is good. And it was economical, because I was on the Youth Exploitation Scheme at the time. The downside, of course, was any damage I caused had to be accepted by the employer. Short of deliberately burning the place down, they were quids in.

I guess a different technique is to lay paste around the tracks, then heat them up with a heatgun. Again, the kerf should soak up the excess. Never tried it, but the theory is good (I certainly would have tried it back in the day, but SMD hadn't been invented in 1984, which is when I officially started getting paid - a little bit anyway - for using a soldering iron. I started soldering when I was 3. Got the scars to prove it.)

PCB Manufacturers would not bother, instead they just use automation to make things at an inferior resolution. If they haven't got a robot to do the job, "it can't be done". That is the UK electronics industry for you, and I agree with you there, BUT... The UK is not the whole of the world.

Last edited by Pat the Cat; 08 January 2017 at 20:32.
Old 09 January 2017, 11:00   #124
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat the Cat View Post
Was that Open Source or what? It doesn't matter really, THIS is open source, so while comments are fine, what matters is people doing things with it so that real viable solutions emerge.

Criticism is not over harsh when it suggests alternatives, but implementing alternatives isn't the sole responsibility of the github originator. That's open source for you.

You want it, you help make it.
Dennis did make it open source, sure he did not use Github, but he publicly made the Board gerbers and FPGA source public.
Old 09 January 2017, 11:05   #125
Pat the Cat
Banned

OK, but that is a seperate issue. I'm not going to comment on Minimig. I don't think I have anything useful to add to that, but I do note comments that the guy behind it did take an awful lot of flak.

Taking flak is not unusual when trying new things.
Old 09 January 2017, 11:16   #126
Locutus

It took a while for the initial code dump to be published but that was it, keep in mind that Github wasn't a thing when Minimig came out (*10* years ago)

I met Dennis a couple of times at meetings at that time and when asking about stuff i was shown whatever i wanted, great guy, fun discussions (i was doing FPGA development at that time myself) i don't see the fuss :-)
Old 09 January 2017, 14:16   #127
keith

Hi don't know if might help with ide, if your still having fun and games.
http://www.mkl211015.altervista.org/ide/a500ide.html

Last edited by keith; 09 January 2017 at 14:25. Reason: It might help but might not...
Old 09 January 2017, 20:14   #128
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
OK, but there are ways, just not done by UK manufacturers. They're too cheap and too cut throat, but that's the UK for you.

I was lucky learning about this, one of my first jobs was in a lab with prototype boards. Often they'd come in properly screwed, tracks hanging off, even holes missing sometimes. Guess who got to fix the tracks?

You can avoid a lot of this stuff if you don't use etch tanks, but a lot of that stuff is proprietary so I won't talk about it. Some is alledgedly open source, and basiclly involves ways of laying very carefully controlled silver traces down. But you don't have to use exotic materials even, really. You just have to add stages to the process, and the manufacturers won't do that. Not without charging.

You can just accept the kerf (gap or void) will be there when it comes out the tank and add another process to fix it, that's what they do.

Back in the day, I just used to re-tin the boards very carefully, at an angle. The Kerf soaks up the solder - track is good. And it was economical, because I was on the Youth Exploitation Scheme at the time. The downside, of course, was any damage I caused had to be accepted by the employer. Short of deliberately burning the place down, they were quids in.

I guess a different technique is to lay paste around the tracks, then heat them up with a heatgun. Again, the kerf should soak up the excess. Never tried it, but the theory is good (I certainly would have tried it back in the day, but SMD hadn't been invented in 1984, which is when I officially started getting paid - a little bit anyway - for using a soldering iron. I started soldering when I was 3. Got the scars to prove it.)

PCB Manufacturers would not bother, instead they just use automation to make things at an inferior resolution. If they haven't got a robot to do the job, "it can't be done". That is the UK electronics industry for you, and I agree with you there, BUT... The UK is not the whole of the world.
I didnt say it couldnt be done I say i wasnt going to do it and that i thought it wasnt worth doing. Frankly you sound like someone who can never be wrong no matter what. So please go away. I dont want to deal with people like you in my leisure time.

If you were half as smart as you are trying to make out you'd have made this board years ago and I would be doing something for a different machine.
Old 10 January 2017, 14:25   #129
keith

Hi I know you're busy so sorry for my random post I don't know if I am any help or just crazy.. would something like this be any help, programmable crystal oscillator, sorry if this of no help. Ps like the new video as the progress is amazing!
Old 10 January 2017, 18:54   #130
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith View Post
Hi I know you're busy so sorry for my random post I don't know if I am any help or just crazy.. would something like this be any help, programmable crystal oscillator, sorry if this of no help. Ps like the new video as the progress is amazing!
A programmable oscillator would be interesting later on. It would need to be able to boot up at 16Mhz reliably and then not crash when it switched to a new frequency. I guess you'd want to put a library to control this in a flash rom too.. so much more complexity... nice once everything is stable.

Really what i want is a SD/MMC card driver. One that will work if i do the byte swap in hardware and basically map the SD/MMC card to an 8 bit port..
Old 10 January 2017, 20:05   #131
Pat the Cat
Banned

Quote:
I didnt say it couldnt be done I say i wasnt going to do it and that i thought it wasnt worth doing.
OK, and I fully understand that. Most circuits on Github things like that just do not apply - they're not designed to be as compact a possible, for this sort of issue.

I'm not a schematic designer TerribleFire. I can take a design and rempap it, even get it built with exotic technology. That's not the same thing as designing a circuit and solution that are reliable in the first place.

So long as the circuit is good, the firmware is solid, this can be done AND I don't expect anybody else to reroute anything but me. Same goes for board manufacture. That's my problem to resolve, if I want it different, I do the work.

I've only been back in Amigaland for a fortnight after maybe a 20 year break. I'm changing my sig to reflect my goals.
Old 10 January 2017, 20:20   #132
Locutus

Quote:
Really what i want is a SD/MMC card driver. One that will work if i do the byte swap in hardware and basically map the SD/MMC card to an 8 bit port..
Take a look at the code of the Vampire's sdcard.device driver, the hardware is really simple, would be a useful peeking spot.

https://github.com/ezrec/saga-driver.../sagasd.device
Old 13 January 2017, 11:34   #133
HelloBeautiful

Slightly off topic but does the CD32 expansion pinout have everything needed to plug a simple CPU card like this in? The Elsat Promodule and the Paravision SX-1 expansions add memory to the system and have an additional expansion slot for the FMV module so I was thinking that maybe it would be easy to have a simple pcb with a cpu made for these that could utilize the memory already in place. I guess timing might be an issue?
Old 13 January 2017, 15:33   #134
Pat the Cat
Banned

SX64 was an 030 and memory for a CD32 so the expansion connector can definitely take one.

Tended to run a bit hot in the summer though. Was very nice Amiga though - very small, pretty fast, with AGA. And Akiko, but I must admit, I never tried real CD32 titles in the short time I had one for review. I didn't have any.
Old 13 January 2017, 15:38   #135
Amiga1992

Quote:
SX64 was an 030 and memory for a CD32 so the expansion connector can definitely take one.
You mean SX-32
Old 13 January 2017, 15:39   #136
Pat the Cat
Banned

Correct, yes I do mean SX32, the SX64 was a Commodore 64. Thank you.

In the UK, Analogic still have some bits and bobs of CD32 kit left.
Old 13 January 2017, 20:20   #137
HelloBeautiful

Thanks, I'm familiar with the SX32Pro, but I meant that with the CD32 connector having less lines than say an A1200 one, could you hook up a TerribleFire board without the need to recreate some signals.

As said, the SX-1 and ProModule offer an additional CD32 connector so you can just hook a PCB in without any more connectors so I was wondering if it would be easy (and cheap) to upgrade these with a small TB board that would only feature the processor as these already feature IDE and Fast memory. Memory access would be slower than integrated with the CPU but perhaps it would be trivial to do. Just a thought, like.
Old 13 January 2017, 20:37   #138
E-Penguin
Banana

Out of interest, are you creating the M68k cores yourself, or building a board around open source cores? I quite fancy getting into FPGAs and wonder where to start.
Old 13 January 2017, 20:40   #139
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Penguin View Post
Out of interest, are you creating the M68k cores yourself, or building a board around open source cores? I quite fancy getting into FPGAs and wonder where to start.
I'm not doing FPGAs for the TF series accelerators. I have done FPGA cores before but i'm more interested in making hardware based on original components.
Old 13 January 2017, 21:07   #140
E-Penguin
Banana

Ah, misunderstood then, I thought you were doing a sort of Vampire style recreation. There's some kind of programmable logic though (CPLDs?) presumably?

We live in exciting times, when such technology is available for amateurs to make real hardware. I'll continue following this with interest