English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 12 February 2021, 21:14   #3601
AMIGASYSTEM

Thank you, when you are retired you can devote more time to it, the icons when selected have a kind of reflection, the two images are different sizes and create a kind of animation, maybe in the video you can't see it well, i attach a small icon

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 01 March 2021 at 16:55.
Old 13 February 2021, 14:45   #3602
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Thank you, when you are retired you can devote more time to it ...

Hey Carlo, I stopped working end of 1998, I have plenty of time and coded icon.library only because life is so boring and useless and this world seems to be pretty pointless in my eyes, cannot even imagine a world that would make any sense.

Quote:
the icons when selected have a kind of reflection, the two images are different sizes and create a kind of animation, maybe in the video you can't see it well, i attach a small icon
Yes, I've seen that the second image is smaller than the first and that this results in a short animation effect when you click onto an icon, but in case that you multi-select several icons in a window then you can hardly see which icons are selected already and which are not. A smaller size as well as a different second image are not as qualified as a glowing effect to easily distinguish the selected from the unselected icons.
Old 13 February 2021, 15:18   #3603
AMIGASYSTEM

I retired in 2014, I have been a Firefighter for 40 years and I was an Experienced Department Chief but also responsible for the IT network and the Mininsterials Software.

Regarding the Icons, on AROS when they are selected you can easily notice by the text icon name that is highlighted, see screenshot

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 01 March 2021 at 16:55.
Old 13 February 2021, 16:33   #3604
SpeedGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post

Hey Carlo, I stopped working end of 1998, I have plenty of time and coded icon.library only because life is so boring and useless and this world seems to be pretty pointless in my eyes, cannot even imagine a world that would make any sense.
I think the virtual teenage delinquents can help you make some sense of this world:

https://www.artforum.com/print/19940...utt-head-33447

So, because the original icon.library like, sucked you made the icon.library that's pretty cool!

Last edited by SpeedGeek; 16 February 2021 at 01:45.
Old 13 February 2021, 18:35   #3605
PeterK

Quote:
Regarding the Icons, on AROS when they are selected you can easily notice by the text icon name that is highlighted, see screenshot
The label text of an icon is only framed when you select it directly, and only for a single icon. This does not happen when you select multiple icons at the same time with the mouse capturing them with the rope or lasso function or by holding down the <Shift> key.

On my screenshot I've selected two of your icons. Tell me which of them ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CarlosMysteryIcons.png
Views:	105
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	70903  
Old 13 February 2021, 18:46   #3606
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedGeek View Post
I think the virtual teenage delinquents can help you make some sense of this world:
Yeah, this philosophy of Beavis and Butt-head is indeed very cool. That's like real life!
Old 14 February 2021, 02:05   #3607
James

Quote:
Yes, I've seen that the second image is smaller than the first and that this results in a short animation effect when you click onto an icon
Just remembered this icon that proves that they can have three states on AfA (it might also work with the OS3.9 icon.library, been a long time since I used that) - normal, clicked/selected and released/selected.

3StateIcon.lha

The old icon image appears over the new selected image when you click on it.
I have seen this a few times and the result is usually a mess, but it sort of works with this icon. Why it happens with some icons but not (most) others I have no idea...
If cleverly implemented it could be utilized as a feature.
It behaves like a normal two image icon with your superior icon.library though...
Old 14 February 2021, 02:51   #3608
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
On my screenshot I've selected two of your icons. Tell me which of them ...
Yes you're right even if who has good eyesight should notice the animation with the second smaller image.

The icons are many, the Glow on the icons White applications I can not do it because aesthetically they will not be ugly also because of the shadow that is accentuated the Glow.

What I can do is whiten or blacken the second image. This I can do on the fly with Iconeditor without changing anything, see attached icons

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 01 March 2021 at 16:54.
Old 14 February 2021, 12:45   #3609
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Just remembered this icon that proves that they can have three states on AfA (it might also work with the OS3.9 icon.library, been a long time since I used that) - normal, clicked/selected and released/selected.The old icon image appears over the new selected image when you click on it.
I have seen this a few times and the result is usually a mess, but it sort of works with this icon. Why it happens with some icons but not (most) others I have no idea...
If cleverly implemented it could be utilized as a feature.
It behaves like a normal two image icon with your superior icon.library though...
Showing 3 different images is the normal behavior for (True)ColorIcons on Workbench and RTG screens when you use my library. WB can only handle planar images for dragging, but my library uses direct drawing to the gfx-card as long as the icons are not in a dragging state (mouse button pressed down). So usually, you will see the unselected and selected images in TrueColor (A)RGB, if possible, but a dragged icon has a color mapped planar image using only the screen's palette which results in lower quality.

AfA_OS has a lot of problems (or bugs) with the planar images of (True)ColorIcons. It doesn't create color mapped planar images using the screen's palette, but just 4-color images, and it replaces the existing planar images instead of making a backup copy or mixes them up. For TrueColor icons AfA has its own TrueColor dragging routines (no 3. state), but probably not for OS 3.5 ColorIcons, and then it may use the WB dragging routines, but with a wrong planar image (3. state), because it did no color mapping before.
Old 14 February 2021, 13:12   #3610
PeterK

Quote:
The icons are many, the Glow on the icons White applications I can not do it because aesthetically they will not be ugly also because of the shadow that is accentuated the Glow.

What I can do is whiten or blacken the second image. This I can do on the fly with Iconeditor without changing anything, see attached icons
Carlo, it's up to you how you decide, but I still prefer the glow effect, and I don't like darker or whiter images that much. For me, aesthetical criteria always are coming second after functional aspects. And the main purpose of icon images is to symbolize the function of a program or the type of data files, and selected icons should be clearly recognizable. I don't need perfect looking eye candy, but it's ok as an additional goody.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SelectedIcons.png
Views:	101
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	70908  

Last edited by PeterK; 14 February 2021 at 13:18.
Old 14 February 2021, 18:41   #3611
AMIGASYSTEM

Thanks Peter and sorry to waste your time, I also prefer the Glow effect but as I said now I can no longer do it on the "applications" icons because the Glow would not be homogeneous.

With the folder icon instead, as I said, no problem because the folder has no shadows or smears.

In the next release if I still have the will and the patience I will improve this aspect.
Old 15 February 2021, 12:02   #3612
PeterK

Quote:
... and sorry to waste your time,
That's just perfect, you couldn't do anything better! All I'm trying to do is killing time in anticipation to get a little closer to my demise.

Quote:
I also prefer the Glow effect but as I said now I can no longer do it on the "applications" icons because the Glow would not be homogeneous.
I can't see anything being wrong with your application icon "Edit-Glow", it looks good and the shadow is ok for me. Or did you create that from scratch again, not just adding a glow effect to the existing icon that you made before?
Old 16 February 2021, 02:21   #3613
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
That's just perfect, you couldn't do anything better! All I'm trying to do is killing time in anticipation to get a little closer to my demise.
Think about the good things in life, even if we have become old and full of problems !

Quote:
Or did you create that from scratch again, not just adding a glow effect to the existing icon that you made before?
No I just added the Glow, if I had made it new it would have come out like the screenshot.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 01 March 2021 at 16:54.
Old 16 February 2021, 12:03   #3614
PeterK

Quote:
Think about the good things in life ...
... the Glow, if I had made it new it would have come out like the screenshot.
Ok, let's think about red wine ... if you would drink a bottle of wine these little differences on your screenshot will disappear, believe me! I would prefer to drink the wine instead of creating new icons again.
Old 16 February 2021, 13:13   #3615
fatbob_gb

Quote:
Ok, let's think about red wine ... if you would drink a bottle of wine these little differences on your screenshot will disappear, believe me! I would prefer to drink the wine instead of creating new icons again.

Possibly the wisest words ever written on any of the forums I have visited.
Old 18 February 2021, 22:21   #3616
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Mine is one of the Italian regions where one of the best Italian wines is produced, quality Malvasia, Negroamaro, Primitivo and Susamaniello.

Regarding the Icons is being born a new software to manage the icons on AROS

https://ae.amigalife.org/index.php?topic=667.0
Old 18 February 2021, 23:03   #3617
PeterK

A new and better ARGB IconEditor for OS 3.x would indeed be great, but I don't expect it to come soon, maybe for Aros x86, like those we already have two for OS4 and the one that was ported a bit to OS 3.x, but never finished. However, I'm not an icon designer and won't need it.

Btw, my nightly red wine is the finest Italian selection:
https://www.netto-online.de/italieni...r/p-1843127000
Old 18 February 2021, 23:16   #3618
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
A new and better ARGB IconEditor for OS 3.x would indeed be great, but I don't expect it to come soon, maybe for Aros x86, like those we already have two for OS4 and the one that was ported a bit to OS 3.x, but never finished. However, I'm not an icon designer and won't need it.

Btw, my nightly red wine is the finest Italian selection:
https://www.netto-online.de/italieni...r/p-1843127000

I do not know that wine, in Italy there are hundreds of varieties of grapes and wines, the ones from Northern Italy are famous for the name, the ones from Southern Italy such as mine are famous for quality and gradation, White, Red, Rosé and Black wine.

In Northern Italy little sun, cold and fog, Southern Italy always sun, wind and heat.
Old 19 February 2021, 17:04   #3619
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
There is also news about changing the color of icons in system startup!

https://ae.amigalife.org/index.php?t...67.msg6273#new

New PNG Drawer Icons by miker (login to view attachments)

https://ae.amigalife.org/index.php?t...71.msg6275#new
Old 19 February 2021, 19:38   #3620
PeterK

It seems that they are discussing interesting new features for an icon color management and the color reduction, but that's probably only usable on high-end systems, nothing for any real Amiga, not even with a gfx-card.

But I don't think that I will ever support such things in my icon.library, since I never wanted to have themes, no matter how fast a system is. Even on Windows 10 I always disable/uninstall all themes if possible.