English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 05 October 2018, 15:37   #2801
kolla
Banned

icon.library 46.4 test versions

It's very nice to have more screens available. I use PSI also to configure dedicated screens also for non-MUI programs and for groups of programs that are contextual similar.
Old 06 October 2018, 01:02   #2802
PeterK

Added icon.library 46.4.503_HAM6:

This new "hm020" version displays the icons on any HAM6 OCS/ECS/AGA screen, 5-10 % faster than HAM8, with lower color quality, but still better than 64 colors mapped to the screens palette.
Old 06 October 2018, 01:33   #2803
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Please. Is there someone trying this with a Real Amiga?

I just would like to have some input from someone about its behaviour there: Come on!/Very slow/Slow/Nice/Fast/Very fast/Unbelievable
Old 06 October 2018, 01:42   #2804
PeterK

I've tested with Ken's Icons v4, that are PNG TrueColor icons and they need, of course, much much longer for uncompressing and color reduction than OS 3.5 ColorIcons. So the speed improvement might be a lot bigger with ColorIcons and NewIcons instead of PNG or OS4 icons.

Maybe, I should try to switch off the color reduction of the 1. image for OS4 and PNG icons in HAM6/8 mode to get more speed.

Last edited by PeterK; 06 October 2018 at 01:52.
Old 06 October 2018, 06:39   #2805
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Please. Is there someone trying this with a Real Amiga?

I just would like to have some input from someone about its behaviour there: Come on!/Very slow/Slow/Nice/Fast/Very fast/Unbelievable

I have just used it on MiST lately, which is darn close to real Amiga, and in PAL Hires Laced it is not too shabby. What's most annoying is when you move a window and the icons under it must be redrawn, that takes a bit too much time to be comfortable

Also, be aware of programs that use Workbench screen as a "template" for what screenmode they open their own screen with. For example CygnusEd may try to use same screenmode as wb screen, and CygnusEd does not do HAM8 mode well.
Old 06 October 2018, 09:20   #2806
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
What's most annoying is when you move a window and the icons under it must be redrawn, that takes a bit too much time to be comfortable
I can not see any delay for that (with a window) on WinUAE, but redrawing of icons is slow when you multiselect a couple of them with the mouse lasso and move them to a new position, that takes indeed a very long time until the Workbench has updated them all.

Did you already try SuperPlus?
Old 07 October 2018, 00:33   #2807
kolla
Banned

No, been busy getting married
Old 07 October 2018, 00:42   #2808
PeterK

Sigh, I understand, that's an acceptable hindrance. Happy honeymoon!
Old 07 October 2018, 03:37   #2809
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

@kolla happy honeymoon too .

@PeterK I've implemented tonight in my WIP AKReal's update a new option to try your nice HAM library if you just make a couple of clicks using MorpheuZ and then you select the "Better Config" option that you know .

BTW as I'm seeing that it works so well with DOPus5, I will be using it with SuperPlus.

Offtopic: I created "Better Config" in AKReal as a fast tool to try different setups while you are using WinUAE as it allows you to try a lot of different settings like using RTG or different screen modes that do work in a real Amiga, but only having the needed hardware. Using WinUAE you know that you "have" all of that -emulated- hardware available there. The thing is that "Better Config" -that you'll find with MorpheuZ- allows you to try those configs and also with only a couple of clicks you can return for example from AfA or RTG to AGA using 16 colors -or now HAM with 64 & my wallpaper and so - or more with prepared configurations.
It all started for me with a couple of lines of simple code -the one I manage-, but it all has become into a very long script. It surely repeats things -checkings- and it has to be very poorly made although it works instantly with WinUAE without any problem and it's there where it has to be tried.

Last edited by Retrofan; 07 October 2018 at 04:31.
Old 07 October 2018, 13:52   #2810
PeterK

Thanks Retrofan for promoting my little HAM thingy a bit in your huge AKReal thingy. I guess, many users are hesitating too much and don't dare to try new thingies out, maybe MorpheuZ can help them to make the first step.

If SuperPlus works with DOpus5 on your system, then you must have MemTrailer running in the background.
Old 07 October 2018, 23:34   #2811
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Thanks Retrofan for promoting my little HAM thingy a bit in your huge AKReal thingy. I guess, many users are hesitating too much and don't dare to try new thingies out, maybe MorpheuZ can help them to make the first step.

If SuperPlus works with DOpus5 on your system, then you must have MemTrailer running in the background.
My pleasure

I don't have an idea about what MemTrailer is, but you know that I use CyberbugFixAga. That's why it is showing for example 1.771.040 of free chip ram with such a great setup -with so many things running- in this screenshot. It's using only 16 colors there. Edit: There are three docks running there at the same time: AmiDock, a DOpus5 Start Menu and a TinyMeter one. And remember that it is also using a large screenmode as SuperPlus is

Last edited by Retrofan; 08 October 2018 at 04:17.
Old 07 October 2018, 23:49   #2812
PeterK

Your screenshot confuses me. I shows a low depth screenmode (16 colors) and MorpheuZ asks for switching to a HAM8 mode, but mentions only the 64 colors of the base palette instead of the 262144+ available Hold and Modify colors for the icons. 64 colors sounds not very promising to the user.

MemTrailer is one of my old programs to avoid memory trashings. It patches AllocMem() and FreeMem() and you could check that with Scout's patch-list or ShowPatches. You can switch it off with "MemTrailer 0" and see what happens with SuperPlus under DOpus5. I don't use CyberbugFixAGA. Should that fix P96 too? But I have no issues with SuperPlus on OS 3.9 and P96, only with DOpus5.

Last edited by PeterK; 07 October 2018 at 23:57.
Old 08 October 2018, 00:09   #2813
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Your screenshot confuses me. I shows a low depth screenmode (16 colors) and MorpheuZ asks for switching to a HAM8 mode, but mentions only the 64 colors of the base palette instead of the 262144+ available Hold and Modify colors for the icons. 64 colors sounds not very promising to the user.
I had the idea that you would like to see the question I was making there

So, what should I ask to the user?. "Congratulations. You are the user number 1.000 and you've got a gift ". Just kidding. What do you suggest to ask then?. "Do you want to try HAM8?. That's under your own risk "

Quote:
Should that fix P96 too?
I don't know what problem you get with P96. I don't have any AFAIK. When I use any RTG mode I switch off CyberButFixAga.

Last edited by Retrofan; 08 October 2018 at 00:20.
Old 08 October 2018, 00:17   #2814
PeterK

Do you want to try HAM8 using colorful icons?
Old 08 October 2018, 00:24   #2815
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

::: Edited.

Ok, that's the question then.

Sorry my bad, I'm tired.

LOL... It sounds as you wanted, so promissing

Done:

Last edited by Retrofan; 08 October 2018 at 00:38.
Old 08 October 2018, 00:41   #2816
PeterK

Sorry Retrofan, but I don't know what your MorpheuZ wants to do? I thought it is asking the user for switching into the HAM8 screenmode. Is it just asking for a new wallpaper with 64 colors. You can not see that in the requester and such a wallpaper is only possible after the HAM8 screenmode was switched on, but your screemode is obviously 16 colors only.

Don't ask me what MorpheuZ is trying to do, you should know that better.

... and now you've edited your statement completely ....
Old 08 October 2018, 00:44   #2817
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Yep, sorry. I didn't understand your answer at first, so I had to edit it all

Just read it again. It will ask what you said if it's ok for you.

... And clicking Yes, this will be the result:

And yes, that's a new version of WBDock for AKReal, but having your exception for the WBDock then the new option for HAM that it adds isn't needed.

Last edited by Retrofan; 08 October 2018 at 00:52.
Old 08 October 2018, 00:46   #2818
PeterK

Quote:
I don't know what problem you get with P96. I don't have any AFAIK. When I use any RTG mode I switch off CyberButFixAga.
With P96 you can use all available AGA modes too. But I guess that you are using CGX4 instead, which may behave totally different with DOpus4. I will test that later.
Old 08 October 2018, 00:53   #2819
PeterK

Quote:
... And clicking Yes, this will be the result:

That looks much better , but still shows another bug in DOpus5. DOpus5 seems to be unable to share the existing pens for its screen palette. If you look into the palette settings all colors are grayed out for HAM screens, MWB colors are totally wrong, and you can see this green around the window sliders here, which might also be caused by VisualPrefs GUI settings, I don't know.

Thomas has made a new version of WBDock?
If he found another solution with an option, the I could remove the exception from my HAM conversion for WBDock again, which would make the code a bit shorter and faster.

Last edited by PeterK; 08 October 2018 at 01:00.
Old 08 October 2018, 00:56   #2820
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

PM on the way