English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 25 November 2010, 21:14   #1
LocalH
Amiga user since 1990

Single-frame "recorder" emulation?

I was thinking the other day, and since I have no documentation for common single-frame recorder interfaces (IIRC, most of them were controlled over RS-232), I'm not sure if there were any standards for the data sent over such a connection. If there were, it would kind of be cool to be able to use Amiga software that could control such a recorder, and have it trigger single-frame recording into an AVI file. I've got a copy of DeluxeVideo III here and it has a Device track available in Expert mode, which allows the user to utilize ARexx scripts to control hardware, and thus can be used to control a single-frame recorder. I think it'd be kind of cool to use classic Amiga content creation software as part of a modern video-editing workflow (generate an animation with the Amiga software, single-frame record it to an AVI, then import into an NLE).

Thoughts? Is this worth looking into (I'm willing to do the research into single-frame recorders to provide you with all the information that I can dig up), or is it something that would never be implemented unless you were bribed? =P
Old 15 March 2015, 15:44   #2
stonerunner

I am curious if you ended up using the Amiga in modern video. I had the same idea, and am most likely going the way of exporting and converting ANIM files. When I need to record a non-loopable color cycling image (due to differing cycle lengths), I will probably just use the video capture on WinUAE. You could probably also write a script on the Amiga side (if there isn't a program already) to export ANIM frames to individual IFF files, which could then be converted and added as an image sequence to After Effects/etc. As a kid into animation and special effects, the concept of the single-frame recorder fascinated me.

Old 19 March 2015, 18:49   #3
LocalH
Amiga user since 1990

No, I haven't, at least not yet. At this point it's more of a historical curiosity for me, as I was never able to use such setups in the old days, and I find the old, pre-NLE production methods very intriguing (having begun my interest in video production in the mid-to-late 90s as NLEs were just coming into their own outside of the really high-end market).