English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 14 October 2009, 19:14   #1
AB Positive
kachou ON!

Hypocrisy post: Amiga Dev on windows - what do you use?

OK... so I started a thread way back about coding on the Amiga proper. Well - my a500 has a modded PC drive inside as the normal one broke so now of course the case doesn't close and half the keyboard is inaccessable.

I could use ASM-One with WinUAE and that's still an option but I figured I'd throw this question to the coders. If you do Amiga dev on windows what do you use?

I'd prefer something that had 68k color coding and whatnot and I've seen two interesting apps... ConTEXT and Notepad++

I also want to use my netbook so if someone knows a decent linux coding app that can somehow beat out my favorite (Vim) let me know. Again - 68K color coding is a necessity.

-AB
Old 14 October 2009, 19:24   #2
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

i dont use windows, i use OSX, but I do all my dev'ing - asm or amos - on my MacBook. However, i still do it in an Amiga environment by running e-uae. Sometimes i will boot up the A500 to do some "investigation" using ActionReplay III, but only when uae is proving unreliable for that.

I'm only doing it this way for the convenience of using a laptop, and I obviously test stuff on the real hardware later down the line.
Old 14 October 2009, 19:57   #3
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Positive View Post
I could use ASM-One with WinUAE and that's still an option but I figured I'd throw this question to the coders. If you do Amiga dev on windows what do you use?
Asm-One/Pro with WinUAE! You know you want to!
Old 14 October 2009, 20:51   #4
pmc
gone

I develop all my sources in UltraEdit on Windows.

It's not free software - you have to pay for it but I think it's worth the cost (which in my opinion is not excessive) as it's the best text editor I've ever used.

You can also use syntax highlighting with it, just like I do. In fact, if you look around in Coder's Heaven you might even find my syntax highlighting file that I uploaded some months ago...

I assemble my finished source codes with Devpac in WinUAE. When you're coding for the OCS / ECS machines like I do then I don't think you really lose anything at all using the emulator over the real machine. Toni's done such a superb job on accurate emulation of those machines that it's pretty much a perfect replication of the real thing.

I'd go further and say I actually think I gain from using the emulator - things like turbo mode speeds up assembly times nicely.
Old 15 October 2009, 02:31   #5
AGN

Quote:
I also want to use my netbook so if someone knows a decent linux coding app that can somehow beat out my favorite (Vim) let me know. Again - 68K color coding is a necessity.
vasm, vlink, vim, make, e-uae should do the trick
Old 15 October 2009, 03:05   #6
NovaCoder

I use StormC V4 under winUAE and I'm looking at it now trying to debug why my MIDI doesn't loop
Old 15 October 2009, 15:22   #7
Leffmann

On OS X I use SubEthaEdit, and on Windows I use one of the free alternatives like Notepad++ or Programmer's Notepad. Any editor will work so find the one you like the most. I assemble and link with vasm and vlink to get an executable right into a catalog used as a harddrive in WinUAE. Just 3 key presses to save source and assemble, flip to WinUAE and press arrow up + enter to run the executable.

I use a small set of tools to make code templates and tidy sources up on OS X. It's posted in another thread here and can easily be adapted for Windows, Linux or whatever as well.

EDIT: vasm and vlink are portable and work on any system
Old 15 October 2009, 18:09   #8
Photon

Notepad++, Gedit on Linux - fine editors.

No reason why a nice emu running some fast processor couldn't provide an enjoyable environment - easy as pie, and fast, to install any devstuff you want! Just set the keymap to match the keyboard you're using or you'll go crrrrazeh
Old 16 October 2009, 22:37   #9
mosfet

Quote:
my favorite (Vim) ... 68K color coding is a necessity.
Vim has 68k syntax colouring: to get it in the GUI version, go the "Syntax" menu, choose "Show filetypes in menu", then reselect the menu and look in the "Assembly" submenu in the "A" section. It's got 680x0 and even Z-80 (Spectrum) and 6502 (C-64), so you can code for a whole museum's worth of machines without ever having to use a lesser editor...

You can change the syntax for all files with a particular extension, or you can set it per file with a special comment line at the top of each file. I don't remember the exact details, but it's all there in the help system... I'm switching to 68k in Vim as soon as I get sufficiently frustrated with Devpac's built-in editor... which should be sometime this week