English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 15 April 2020, 09:42   #221
Rotzloeffel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC HACKER! View Post
I'm curious about CyberVisionPPC support. Since OS 4 team is still in contact, has that been any help in the direction of 3.2...and P96?
There still is a Driver for CybervisionPPC in Development for P96, but it is in very early state actually. Problem is the existance of AFAIR 3 different "designs" of this Card which belongs to the Memory-Timing. We have actually no idea how CybergraphX did the trick to work with all Cards.

One Card works actually, the other did not....

Next Problem is that the main-developer of P96 (Thor) did not have the Hardware to investigate further.
Old 15 April 2020, 09:55   #222
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum8 View Post
It's probably not achievable for a 3.2 release, and pretty minor, but I'd like to see operations continue if you move or resize a window.

For example, running a script or copying large about of files in the CLI and moving/resizing the window seems to halt the operation.
This is not a small thing to do however. Intuition effectively locks the screen as it is temporarily destroying all windows drawing the moving frame. If it didn't block all windows would most likely get their windows contents destroyed. Apps that are just calculating in the background continue, but as soon as they try to draw they will be blocked.

This is an old design choice to make the resizing faster, done so at the expense of blocking output. So this would also only make sense on graphics hardware significantly faster than ECS
Old 15 April 2020, 10:26   #223
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzloeffel View Post
Yes, this is camilla´s Plan as far as I understood in the Dev-Mailinglist. Users can supply Syntax-highlighting on aminet for example.
The current state is that developers using the textediitor.gadget can write their own syntax highlighters. That is the low level.

The TextEdit application uses this low level to create 2 highlighters: ARexx and shellscript. And while they are internally data driven and using the same state machine, this quality of this state machine is not such that it will make sense for third party developers to use this.

So currently there is no outside way to add more highlighters to TextEdit (the application) for 3.2. My plan is to make an interface so outsiders can provide highlighter plugins that directly deal with the low level interface of the gadget. But those plugins also need to provide more than that. They also need a way to show configuration. It is actually this second part of the plugin that is holding me back from implementing such plugin system in 3.2.

Anyway once this plugin system is available in 3.3 then yes people could create highlighter plugins and make them available on aminet. As these plugins will be able to show a configuration window, this will also open up for the possibility of someone making a flexible plugin that can be configured to any language. Other 3rd party developers might go the route of making a plugin that is super fast and efficient. I just want to open it op for anyone.

But as there is quite some work in making such plugin architecture future proof I will not do it until 3.3.

But again the lowlevel interface is there for developers using the gadget in their own editor or say mail program. The lowlevel highlighting interface could for example be used to spell check in the mail program.

I hope this made it more specific what is and what isn't in 3.2

Last edited by boemann; 15 April 2020 at 12:31.
Old 15 April 2020, 12:54   #224
loonsta

Quote:
There still is a Driver for CybervisionPPC in Development for P96, but it is in very early state actually. Problem is the existance of AFAIR 3 different "designs" of this Card which belongs to the Memory-Timing. We have actually no idea how CybergraphX did the trick to work with all Cards.

Next Problem is that the main-developer of P96 (Thor) did not have the Hardware to investigate further.

Do you know if there is any work ongoing towards a BVision driver?
Old 15 April 2020, 13:50   #225
Rotzloeffel

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonsta View Post
Do you know if there is any work ongoing towards a BVision driver?
These Drivers are identical as far as I know. If I remember correctly, Guliver is actually or was working on it. Try to ask him….

I think I testet 6 or 7 diferent Driver-versions with the actual P96 which is also part of the Betatest.... of OS 3.1.4 and 3.2
Old 15 April 2020, 13:59   #226
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
@coldacid:

Unfortunately we don't have source code for ReActor so it would have to be rewritten from scratch before we could make improvements to it.

Programs built with ReActor will run on OS3.2, as long as resource.library is installed.

Even if you did have the source, I'd suggest rewriting from scratch. ReActor, Emperor, etc. ... These are all way out of date and don't generate anything that could really be considered usable with modern ReAction.
Old 15 April 2020, 18:52   #227
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:

I'm able to get Workbench displayed to my CVPPC via newer P96, but that's it. I was merely curious, so I played. I have typed with others, and I understand the limit of hardware access. Perhaps posting a message asking for people locally who have them for help? I offer help in testing..if the help is wanted.

Appreciate your reply.
Old 15 April 2020, 20:38   #228
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldacid View Post
Even if you did have the source, I'd suggest rewriting from scratch. ReActor, Emperor, etc. ... These are all way out of date and don't generate anything that could really be considered usable with modern ReAction.
If it's just a matter of support for new classes and tags, that only needs a new set of ReActor profile files, which can be done without touching the actual program itself.
Old 15 April 2020, 21:22   #229
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

Except that ReActor depends on Resource Library, which is essentially abandoned and has been since before OS4.0 came out. Unless the 3.2 devs are resurrecting it (which it doesn't sound like) anything from ReActor should be considered a dead-end.
Old 16 April 2020, 08:44   #230
loonsta

Quote:
These Drivers are identical as far as I know. If I remember correctly, Guliver is actually or was working on it. Try to ask him….

I think I testet 6 or 7 diferent Driver-versions with the actual P96 which is also part of the Betatest.... of OS 3.1.4 and 3.2

@Gulliver if it is identical? Thats another thing I'd be happy to help with beta testing of
Old 16 April 2020, 11:14   #231
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post

@The Devs
Actually while we're talking about icons, there's what appears to be a bug in icon selection in 3.1.4 (and 3.1.4.1) that doesn't appear in previous versions including 3.9. When selecting multiple icons by dragging a box around them, if the selection box includes icons in the Workbench window (e.g. left out icons or drive icons) and icons in an open drawer window, the icons that get selected in the Workbench window are somewhat random, sometimes including all expected icons, but most times only selecting a few, and in some cases, none of the icons in Workbench get selected. In previous versions, all visible icons within the selection area get selected, regardless of which window they're in.

It's only a minor thing, but has caught me out on a couple of occasions. Any chance that could be looked at while it's being worked on?
It has now been fixed by another member of our team. It turned out to actually be a bug in graphics.library
So it was not just a minor thing, as it could potentially affect other applications too. On behalf of the entire team: Thank you very much for reporting it.

Last edited by boemann; 16 April 2020 at 11:26.
Old 16 April 2020, 11:41   #232
AlphaAmiga

Keep up the great work OS 3.2 team.

When does the team think it will be ready to indicate feature list and a preliminary release date? I am assuming also that price will be same/similar to OS 3.1.4 ?

Will you also be releasing a road map for the teams vision of future OS releases with some sort of preliminary planned features for each release?
Old 16 April 2020, 11:44   #233
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by boemann View Post
It has now been fixed by another member of our team. It turned out to actually be a bug in graphics.library
So it was not just a minor thing, as it could potentially affect other applications too. On behalf of the entire team: Thank you very much for reporting it.
Will there be any further fix packs for the 3.1.4.x series?
Old 16 April 2020, 11:51   #234
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonsta View Post
@Gulliver if it is identical? Thats another thing I'd be happy to help with beta testing of
The roadblock on the BVisionn P96 driver can be resolved in only one way:

A BVision owner needs to send their hardware to Thomas Richter in Germany for him to extensively conduct all kinds of tests. And that only guarantees, that the driver that might result will probably only work on that card, and a third of the cards out there.

He can be contacted thru his email address which is available in the readme of the MMULIb package on Aminet.
Old 16 April 2020, 11:58   #235
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaAmiga View Post
Keep up the great work OS 3.2 team.

When does the team think it will be ready to indicate feature list and a preliminary release date? I am assuming also that price will be same/similar to OS 3.1.4 ?
We are still currently developing 3.2 and features are being added at a fast pace. It is impossible to evaluate the release date as it is the result of many variables which we currently cannot properly measure. A release date will be anounced when we have one, and the list of new features is not definitive. I have listed 58 and I will have to add at least two by this weekend.

Pricing is a desicion Hyperion takes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaAmiga View Post
Will you also be releasing a road map for the teams vision of future OS releases with some sort of preliminary planned features for each release?
No, not because we don't have ideas or plans (in fact, we have a lot), but because plans often change, and is good to have flexibiity and not be tied to a promise you just could not keep.

Last edited by gulliver; 16 April 2020 at 12:06.
Old 16 April 2020, 12:00   #236
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Will there be any further fix packs for the 3.1.4.x series?
I don't think so. But I cannot dismiss it entirely, as there is a dim chance.
Old 16 April 2020, 14:56   #237
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boemann View Post
Just to clarify, that even though this is a general bug and very good that it gets fixed, the example we saw in workbench is the first we heard of it, so probably not worth worrying about for the average user.
Old 17 April 2020, 04:44   #238
loonsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
The roadblock on the BVisionn P96 driver can be resolved in only one way:

A BVision owner needs to send their hardware to Thomas Richter in Germany for him to extensively conduct all kinds of tests. And that only guarantees, that the driver that might result will probably only work on that card, and a third of the cards out there.

He can be contacted thru his email address which is available in the readme of the MMULIb package on Aminet.

I tried to send Thomas an email, but it bounced because "the address could not be found or is unable to receive email"

using the email shown here http://m68k.aminet.net/package/util/libs/MMULib

Can anyone confirm this is him? https://eab.abime.net/member.php?u=68171

Last edited by loonsta; 17 April 2020 at 04:54.
Old 17 April 2020, 15:19   #239
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

Guys, is it still possible to help in beta testing?

I got an 1200 with ACA 1230.
Old 18 April 2020, 02:57   #240
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazinKaesar View Post
Guys, is it still possible to help in beta testing?

I got an 1200 with ACA 1230.
Yes, please send me an email briefly introducing yourself (in my EAB user profile is my email address).