English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 01 August 2020, 06:50   #1
RuneRider

Floppy disk AmigaDOS 1.2 Gamma Development Disks

I recently picked up some Amiga hardware and software for my collection which included some very interesting disks. They appear to be development disks for AmigaDOS 1.2. At the suggestion of Greg at Workbench Nostalgia I'm posting images here to see what can be found out about this set.

If you know anything about these, let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image01.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	944.7 KB
ID:	68333   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image02.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	930.8 KB
ID:	68334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image03.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	964.0 KB
ID:	68335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image04.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	752.0 KB
ID:	68336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image05.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	699.7 KB
ID:	68337  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image06.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	886.3 KB
ID:	68338  
Old 01 August 2020, 07:43   #2
Jope
-

We need disk images :-D Are the floppies for the SAGE system perhaps? These ought to be dumped with a kryoflux.
Old 01 August 2020, 11:13   #3
lesta_smsc

"Not to be copied without expressed written consent"

Who owns the rights to these?
Old 01 August 2020, 11:37   #4
AmigaHope

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
"Not to be copied without expressed written consent"

Who owns the rights to these?
At this point, who knows? The rights got shifted around a lot after the Gateway/Amiga Inc. buyout.

As far as who cares though, it would be Cloanto, as they are the only active licensor. They don't own it, per se, but they do own a license to distribute all old versions of AmigaOS 3.1 and earlier. Cloanto do own all the Amiga trademarks/marketing related materials.

Some of the IP rights probably went to Acer when they bought Gateway.

That said there's almost certainly no harm in releasing it. It's a curio that doesn't really hurt Cloanto's bottom line (in fact Cloanto will probably snap it up and include it in their collection), and the actual owners will not sue.
Old 01 August 2020, 12:05   #5
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaHope View Post
That said there's almost certainly no harm in releasing it. It's a curio that doesn't really hurt Cloanto's bottom line (in fact Cloanto will probably snap it up and include it in their collection), and the actual owners will not sue.
It would be better to have an agreement with Cloanto that they could have the images provided this is released to the community as well. If not, neither benefit.
Old 01 August 2020, 12:12   #6
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
We need disk images :-D Are the floppies for the SAGE system perhaps?
I think that's unlikely given that the Amiga 1000 hardware at the time (1985) was already being used, and the software development work being done at the time would use Sun workstations. They had already left the SAGE-II behind.

The 5.25" disks are likely to be used for the MS-DOS based cross development systems and include the linker library and header files for the Lattice 'C' 3 compiler. Companies such as Electronic Arts, Inc. used the MS-DOS cross-compiler because it was much cheaper than developing on a Sun workstation.

Given the time frame (1986) and this being the Gamma release (as in Alpha, Beta, Gamma) I reckon that this material would be used for developers to test if their software and hardware still worked with Kickstart/Workbench 1.2
Old 01 August 2020, 13:44   #7
AmigaHope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf Barthel View Post
I think that's unlikely given that the Amiga 1000 hardware at the time (1985) was already being used, and the software development work being done at the time would use Sun workstations. They had already left the SAGE-II behind.

The 5.25" disks are likely to be used for the MS-DOS based cross development systems and include the linker library and header files for the Lattice 'C' 3 compiler. Companies such as Electronic Arts, Inc. used the MS-DOS cross-compiler because it was much cheaper than developing on a Sun workstation.

Given the time frame (1986) and this being the Gamma release (as in Alpha, Beta, Gamma) I reckon that this material would be used for developers to test if their software and hardware still worked with Kickstart/Workbench 1.2

"Gamma" being another term for "release candidate", it could well turn out to be 99.9999% identical to the public release of 1.2
Old 10 August 2020, 06:03   #8
RuneRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
We need disk images :-D Are the floppies for the SAGE system perhaps? These ought to be dumped with a kryoflux.
I'll be archiving these disks as soon as I can. I don't know what the 5.25" disks are for. I was hoping for input on that.