English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 15 June 2016, 18:28   #1
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

New AMIGA 1200 Case Prototype & Amiga Key Cap announcement!

Quote:
Oh what a time to be an Amiga owner, as we now have an exclusive look at the A1200 Amiga Case Prototype, that may well be the finished design for those of you who have been eagerly awaiting their very own NEW Amiga case! Also we have an exclusive heads up look for the new Amiga Key Caps, which will be getting a Kickstarter in September!
http://www.indieretronews.com/2016/0...-new-look.html
Old 15 June 2016, 19:33   #2
Amiga1992

Nice one, thanks Neil!
I wonder what the texture of these cases is, the Amiga case has a very special bumpy texture.

As for the keycaps, that's great news. I hope we can get a version with no markings, for the touchtypists.
Old 15 June 2016, 19:35   #3
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

You are most welcome Akira!
Old 15 June 2016, 21:37   #4
IanP

Surely that's not the recommended orientation for a Raspberry PI with all the USB sockets so close to the side of the case. Case looks great though.
Old 15 June 2016, 21:54   #5
spudje

And keyrah position is also odd, in terms of mouse/joystick connections. Apart from that I'm really happy that this is really becoming real. And new keys can't come soon enough.

Do I understand it correctly that the key kickstarter will offer:
- Key caps for all Amigas except A1000
- A full standalone new keyboard, for A2/3/4k???
Old 15 June 2016, 22:02   #6
IanP

Checking the images the USB slot pre-cuts seem to be there on the front right of the lower shell although they aren't mentioned in the write-up.
Old 15 June 2016, 22:04   #7
IanP

I expect the new keyboard to be A1200 internal only (initially).
Old 16 June 2016, 09:37   #8
amenophis
A1200.NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanP View Post
Surely that's not the recommended orientation for a Raspberry PI with all the USB sockets so close to the side of the case. .../...
Checking the images the USB slot pre-cuts seem to be there on the front right of the lower shell although they aren't mentioned in the write-up.
.../...
I expect the new keyboard to be A1200 internal only (initially).
Thanks IanP,

- It fits nicely and being close to the right side provide a proper and easy cables management through the rear trapdoor.

- Yes USB pre-cuts are available and ready to be used.
The mention is here:
"Also visible are the 8 case screw bosses & no plastic clips On the right side of case are visible 2x recess for IC RapidRoad easy installation (2x USB opening + mounting)"

- Almost correct. But only almost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
As for the keycaps, that's great news. I hope we can get a version with no markings, for the touchtypists.
Thanks Akira,
That could be an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudje
And keyrah position is also odd .../...
- A full standalone new keyboard, for A2/3/4k??? .
Thank you Spudje,

- There wasn't much room and thats the best position. Remember that A1200 Keyboard ribbon has to connect to Keyrah and that ribbon isn't very long..
Hence Keyrah ports are accessible through rear I/O openings.

- Yes but not at first. Please wait for specs on these end of year

Thanks to all of you for your suppot and patience guys.
Molds tooling starts next week and we'll update you with photo on this process as well.

Cheers,
Team A1200.NET
Old 17 June 2016, 01:53   #9
Ratteler

I wish you would have stolen the standard floppy cutouts idea from the other Kickstarter that failed.
That was a REALLY great idea.
Old 17 June 2016, 02:07   #10
idrougge

Or just moving the hole so that it matches current floppy drives.
Old 17 June 2016, 09:08   #11
amenophis
A1200.NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratteler View Post
I wish you would have stolen the standard floppy cutouts idea from the other Kickstarter that failed.
That was a REALLY great idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Or just moving the hole so that it matches current floppy drives.
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback.
It was out of the question to change any of the original commodore specs that could alter external case look (except trap doors and RF Modulator output). This is a replica case.

The team has other plans but one at a time guys

Cheers,
Team A1200.NET
Old 17 June 2016, 15:28   #12
idrougge

There are already cutouts for a CF slot and a display. Could have been made for the eject button as well.
Old 01 September 2016, 08:08   #13
amenophis
A1200.NET

Dear Amigans,

I did not post any updates directly withing this forum for some time and it's mainly due to my busy & tight schedule.

Hopefully you'll understand that i thought that posting updates and news from/to the KS update page is far more consistent as these updates are notified to backers directly as well.

Over the last month we've also published a new website far more efficient than the previous one as well as the recent Youtube channel which was created to host all projects videos.

As i'm certain some of you already know, Amiga 1200 molds manufacturing processes started already within our partner plant.

A 1min short video which covers the early tooling & milling is available on YOUTUBE.

We're aware of course that it might have been difficult for some of you to wait until now, but delays in KS campaign is not uncommon.
Therefore when we decided to actually induce delays it really was for the greater good and best quality cases.

For the Amiga 1200 cases to be of up-most quality we needed prototypes.
And first one came flawed.
The extra 4 months delay was necessary to fix these issues and double checking again on each and every technical specifications before handcrafting the second prototype.

When this new proto was available (T2), we went again on cross checking all technical details using T2 as a reference towards project's case general requirements.

Today we're happy to share with you the video showing the long awaited New Amiga 1200 case molds being tooled!

Please note the following:
  • When molds are done a short serie of verifications starts to ensure they're at 100% of expected technical requirements.
  • After that a small serie of test cases will be manufactured. Again to ensure expected requirements are fulfilled regarding case quality.
  • Then all case will be manufactured.
  • Once production is done all cases are shipped to Plant1 for packing and shipping. (Packing include the adding of bonuses)

Of course all these steps are to be documented like we already started to with the molds being currently manufactured.

Some more photos & videos are expected.

Let's enjoy this short video.
We do apologize regarding video overall quality. It seems that video isn't PM's forte
(still we did nicely asked him to try to do better for next videos)

[ Show youtube player ]

Now about the compatible Amiga keycaps campaign:

Keycaps campaign will start right after manufacturing of the Amiga cases.
Not much informations have been shared with you guys as of now regarding campaign content and this was on purpose

Because keycaps are also linked to new keyboards we had to find solutions regarding these keyboards to be of modern tech (to reduce costs) while keycaps would be universal.
So keycaps will work on all existing Amiga keyboards as well as the new coming keyboards.
Keyboards are not scheduled right after keycaps campaign as R&D is still in process. More on that when we'll be ready.

So what next?

Other Amiga related products are scheduled after keycaps campaign.
I'm sure you'll all agree when i say that Amiga came a long way and there's still a long way to go.
But things are changing and on our side the team is very happy working with our partner Amiga Inc which is confident in us since the beginning.

Thanks again to all of you who helped us make this happen!

Stay tuned for the next Update!

Cheers,
Phil
Old 01 September 2016, 09:38   #14
wXR

Wow this is a really exciting project! Nice work and dedication, guys!
Old 01 September 2016, 13:05   #15
trixster
Guru Meditating

Looks great, really looking forward to getting my new case!
Old 01 September 2016, 19:23   #16
mintsauce82

Awesome... obviously this has taken a little longer than anticipated, and that's totally OK. These guys want to get it right, and have been very upfront and forthcoming with regards to keeping us up to date!
Old 05 September 2016, 11:46   #17
StarQuake

I joined the Amiga community a few months ago so unfortunately I was too late to back this kickstarter. I have a question I haven't been able to find an answer to: After the kickstarters have received their cases will there be cases available for people (like me) that did not back it eventually? Same question for the keycaps.
Old 05 September 2016, 12:30   #18
lumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarQuake View Post
I joined the Amiga community a few months ago so unfortunately I was too late to back this kickstarter. I have a question I haven't been able to find an answer to: After the kickstarters have received their cases will there be cases available for people (like me) that did not back it eventually? Same question for the keycaps.
Cases will be selling by amigastore.eu. Just take into account that not all versions will be sold there, special editions are available only for Kikstarter backers.
Old 05 September 2016, 13:41   #19
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

UPDATE

Quote:
Amiga compatible Keycaps Kickstarter will hopefully be launching 15th September, as currently the campaign creators are not willing to launch the new campaign before manufacturing the cases.
http://www.indieretronews.com/2016/0...e-keycaps.html
Old 05 September 2016, 13:52   #20
StarQuake

Mmmmmmm an all black Amiga 1200.