Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 28 April 2002, 17:08   #21
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Exclamation EMUCHINA DOWN

Yes, it's true.
EMUCHINA IS DOWN.

I had a suspicion that this would happen sooner or later, just because nearly everyone tries to download as much as possible from this site. But this site costs a lot of bandwidth and money, so this can't work for long.
Emuchina will soon be moved to ymkk.yeah.net, and no one knows if downloads will be possible at this extent in the future.
Seems most people have exaggerated and downloaded TOO MUCH without needing so much
I've only ever sticked to the Amiga Games set, neither (comp) disk nor Applications sets nor other stuff. I too have DSL, but this doesn't have to mean that I'm so greedy to say "I WANT IT ALL" (tm).
Old 28 April 2002, 20:20   #22
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

EmuChina's biggest problem was when it went Tosec. I could not give two pigeon feather's about Tosec.
As long as I know the dump is good, I am happy. Who cares about blah blah blah etc??
Apparently, enough people that wanted compleat collections.
Noone needs 32 different cracks and variations of "Cadaver". Now...we have EmuChina down.
Thanks, gays.
Old 28 April 2002, 20:35   #23
oldpx

You mean guys?

Old 28 April 2002, 21:50   #24
jmmijo

Actually they appear to have the arcade downloads in place, check it out:

http://arcade.emuchina.net/download.htm

As for their main download page you can see the only link that's live is the arcade downloads:

http://www.emuchina.net/download1.htm
Old 29 April 2002, 01:55   #25
Fissuras
Old Luny

Who knows? As far as I know, not a single mass dowloader worked on emuchina, except blackwidow, but it was so damn slow I could never finished downloading a single ADF from there.
But I don't think Tosec Amiga roms leechers are the ones tho blame, for They are not a very large group, compared to Mame or GBA Fans.

I do believe MAME and GBA roms are the most demanded (and downloaded) ones. If the problem was the leeching, one could do exactly as The Underdogs and Aceroms do... one download allowed (no simultaneous downloading) for each IP.

But this is all nonsense, since the Emuchina guys clearly stated that the problem was their ISP going out of business, and nothing else:

"There are some trouble we must let everybody know, the server we are hosted on may go out of business (our contact is already untrackable), so if they shut down the server we will be unable to switch it back on, that's why, for now, there are no ROMS download available (besides Arcade/street machine). We can't grant anything but that until the server is up we'll keep providing updates on news and roms"
Old 29 April 2002, 03:04   #26
jmmijo

Correct fissuras, I think they will be back in full force once again as soon as they get their new host setup and their servers remapped to DNS
Old 02 May 2002, 16:31   #27
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

I think I've made my point. TOSEC has made redundancy a chic thing. Its asinine.
Old 02 May 2002, 18:41   #28
Fissuras
Old Luny

It seemed to me, when I read your post, that you've said Emuchina was down cause it had turned Tosec roms available, since you wrote:"EmuChina's biggest problem was when it went Tosec. (...) Now...we have EmuChina down"

I just pointed that was not the case.

Well, no one *needs* "32 different cracks and variations of Cadaver", like no one *needs* to collect coins, stamps, or whatever.

But you have a point, as this redundancy is something problematic. Imagine if in the future the TOSEC team started renaming all those Half-Life patches "for the sake of completeness". What abouy Mods? How many versions and betas of Counter-Strike are floating around? (and who would be so mentally impaired to collect these things?). Doom levels? Total Conversions?

One idea: there could be an "original version" or "parent" version (like in mame) and then "child" or "clone" versions wich would contain only the changed bytes or the changed files. So there would be a non cracked version, and the cracks/patches to be applied.

Maybe the disk/file system would need some modifications, but would save a lot of space.

Just an idea, but it could be worked on...

Old 02 May 2002, 21:00   #29
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Actually, you made a excellent point, not totally refute my claim. I think a combination of both our ideas makes for bandwith problems.
On one hand we have a lesser number of people downloading a massive database of files (TOSEC Amiga, Atari ST, NES, SNES, Megadrive etc) that easily dwarves the combined MAME and GBA database. This is my contention.
On the other hand, there is a massive amount of people taking up bandwith accessing a relatively tiny database. this is your arguement. Both would result in server problems. But where you make both arguements redundant is your point that the ISP went out of business. That makes both situations moot.
And we both agree the TOSEC craze is....
crazy:P
Old 02 May 2002, 22:14   #30
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I think you're reading the wrong thing into the TOSEC "craze". You have to look at the positive side of it. The advantage of TOSEC is disks become ID'd for what they are. It's useful for identifying whether you have a knackered disk, for example. "MY version works perfectly" is a comment you see very often in threads dealing with getting a game to work. If a filename is just called Cadaver.zip, how can you know if it's the same disk as someone who has the game working perfectly? Simple - you can't! And different versions have varying levels of compatibility both in emulation and on real Amigas. The Fairlight crack, for example, may not have used an address-crunched into that crashes anything but a real 1.2 OCS A1000, for example, while the Paranoimia version is finicky and buggy. The TOSEC filename allows you to selectively choose the version that will offer you the most compatibility.

As with all things, there will always be a sub-sect that wants everything. The collectors. If anything, your complaint should be directed at them (erm...us), The existance of TOSEC dats and their accompanying files does not force users into a compulsive "I must have everything" state of mind. Either one is like that or they aren't. TOSEC conventions just eases the burden of having this mentality since it organizes it all and puts names on things.
Old 02 May 2002, 22:55   #31
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Twist ol buddy*L*
You make valid points as always, except when it comes to Baseball
But....my point is: Why..WHY must those who IMHO take it too far, have every single disk? What for? Whats the purpose? Get the good one, great. Check the CRC, cracks , etc, fine. But why 22 different versions of Cadaver on a hard drive (or burned CD)?
Thats my point.
Old 02 May 2002, 23:10   #32
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic
But....my point is: Why..WHY must those who IMHO take it too far, have every single disk? What for? Whats the purpose? Get the good one, great. Check the CRC, cracks , etc, fine. But why 22 different versions of Cadaver on a hard drive (or burned CD)?
Thats my point.
Because they and we can

I can see your point Fred, if one version will work with both emu's and on the real thing then that should be enough right ? Not to a collector however. What's the nature of a collector? TO collect, whatever he/she happens to be into It's the same for collecting stamps, coins, baseball memoriabilia, etc...
Old 02 May 2002, 23:13   #33
oldpx

Many broadband users prefer to "download it all" rather than choosing what they want from a few thousand files! It's especially the case with amiga disks for they are small in size.

Old 03 May 2002, 00:21   #34
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

And another valid reason is the state of Amiga emulation. That version of Better Dead Than Alien cracked by Hotline may work fine in 8.8r9 but when a new update is released, you may need to try out the Quartex crack. If you already have this in your complete TOSEC collection, there's no need to hunt that copy down on 14.4 speed sites from China. Then there's the whole trainer thing...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	braves.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	2305  
Old 03 May 2002, 03:37   #35
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

That fair enough. But you know, You can have your David Justice back *L*
Old 03 May 2002, 04:07   #36
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Isn't the term Yankee a derivative of Wanker?

And anyhow, Justice is a whore for leaving the Braves in the first place. Since then, he's lost Halle Berry and all credibility. Maybe the Brewers will have him...

Old 03 May 2002, 06:09   #37
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
Isn't the term Yankee a derivative of Wanker?

And anyhow, Justice is a whore for leaving the Braves in the first place. Since then, he's lost Halle Berry and all credibility. Maybe the Brewers will have him...

Nah, I'd send him to the Expos for his penance :laugh
Old 03 May 2002, 10:55   #38
Fissuras
Old Luny

Gee! what is this baseball stuff doing here? never thought Emuchina hold baseball stuff too scanned cards, maybe?
Are chinese great baseball fans? :laugh

If this thread wasn't about emuchina, I would ask for some tutorial about baseball rules... I can't follow a game, I don't know what's going on...
Old 03 May 2002, 17:38   #39
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

LOL!!@Twist and Jim!
Okay, I agree withthat :laugh
Back on track. Emu China's design:
The guy who designs the site is a psychotic.
Old 03 May 2002, 18:16   #40
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic
Back on track. Emu China's design:
The guy who designs the site is a psychotic.
OK, I'll buy that for a dollar It also seems to be covered in an unknown cryptic language as well, can anyone decipher it for me please