English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 15 April 2002, 16:11   #1
matthew

Eek what brings us...

what brings us the future for amiga,is it really over are there no new games anymore for the amiga 1200?
i mean we have clickboom and others,but for most of the games you need updated hardware...
no games no more from team 17 like for example p x2,alien breed,and others...
the bitmapbrothers with xenon 3,chaos engine 3,....
maybe i'm dreaming,but i think it is the wish for everyone here on the amiga board!!!
what the hell they can bring them out on cd,i think tell w'll sell too,games like xenon 3, project x2, or 1943 the next wave...
i think 2d is best there is,i have ps2 almost all games are 3d,nothing against it but give me 2d games.
what about gods 2 or another strike game like nuclear or train strike what the hell...
guy's it's only a dream,but be honest,it wood be nice..
if have seen turrican,a new one i hope that we w'll see it,look for amiga websites!!!

so thats all folks,i can go on and on and on,but what do you think?

thx for any reaction!!!

Last edited by matthew; 15 April 2002 at 20:26.

Old 15 April 2002, 16:23   #2
Kodoichi
Banned

Location: I'm the smiling face on your TV, I exploit you still you love me
Re: what brings us...

Quote:
Originally posted by matthew
the bitmapbrothers with exenon 3
It's spelled Xenon.

Quote:
maybe i'm dreaming,but i think it is the wish for everyone here on the amiga board!!!
Nope
Old 15 April 2002, 22:13   #3
Djay
95th User

i would like to see some updates for classic Amiga games, they do them for the for the GBA!!!!

anyone know of any modern Amiga game websites, please?
Old 15 April 2002, 22:24   #4
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by Djay
i would like to see some updates for classic Amiga games, they do them for the for the GBA!!!!

anyone know of any modern Amiga game websites, please?
To bad Cinemaware is only doing updates for the GBA and PC, I'd love to see their Classic Amiga titles updated for the Amiga using AGA of course
Old 16 April 2002, 03:04   #5
Miggy2TheMax

Quote:
Originally posted by jmmijo

To bad Cinemaware is only doing updates for the GBA and PC, I'd love to see their Classic Amiga titles updated for the Amiga using AGA of course
me too, if all those classics could be remade for 1200 spec AGA it would be amazing. Hopefully one day the game makers will get around to doing it, but I guess they are all governed by "what the general customer wants". We can only hope.
Old 16 April 2002, 04:14   #6
Dizzy
Pirate

Just one question.

How many of you will pay 30£ for an Amiga 1200 AGA on floppy disks.

I don't think many will do this, when you can play the old game for free. And they are still great.

2D is nice for gameplaying. I like all the old stuff. BUT to make new games on a standard a1200 is plain stupid.

But the dream is nice. I dream of what the world would have looked like if Commodore (RIP) had won the battle against PC. And the Amiga had been the leading computer today.
No Bill Gates, No stupid windows conflicts etc.
Imagen great multiplaying battle of Chaos Engine over the internet. World cup Sensi Soccer. Tomb Raider starring Dizzy. Rainbow Island 12.

Then I wake up and discover my pants are wet. My PC freeze 5 times pr hour. And I'm beaten by a 10 year old in Counter Strike.
Life Sucks.
Old 16 April 2002, 05:53   #7
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by Dizzy
Then I wake up and discover my pants are wet. My PC freeze 5 times pr hour. And I'm beaten by a 10 year old in Counter Strike.
Life Sucks.
It hurts to be you Ron
Old 16 April 2002, 09:46   #8
RetroMan

The point is, there will be no great cash for companies producing Amiga Games these days Only some companies can allow themselves to produce some new titles and only because they also do the PeCe and Mac Port (see The Feeble Files) .... they made money with these Ports and had enough preorders for the Amiga Version, so even if it would have been a flop, it´s no big deal for them ..... Anyway, I think there won´t be ANY new commercial games for the classic Amiga but there will be good freeware/shareware games in the future and I hope those coders/programmers will have fun and will be rewarded by the comunity for there work on the classic amiga platform
Old 17 April 2002, 05:04   #9
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

I don't know if this is relevant to the topic, but wasn't Dawn Video Poker created in 2000? That's a newish Amiga game, right?

I like seeing Amiga games converted (or ported) straight to (for exaple) the GBA, but I don't think I would like to see sequels to old Miggy games. Can you just imagine Gods 2 - Return to the Wonderful, in tomb raider style perspective, with 3d graphics, etc. Now I'm not wading into the "old games vs new games" debate - I don't mind today's games.

I'm just saying that PC powered sequels to old Amiga games wouldn't feel right. The beauty of Amiga games was they existed in a their own era, in another time, in a galaxy far, far away, so to speak. Creating sequels would kind of defile that IMHO.

But then again, maybe its just me
Old 17 April 2002, 23:00   #10
minded

Maybe there will be some new games to AmigaONE when it comes. If they programm it for PPC they can be very cool. Just think Payback for PPC in GTA3 style.
Old 17 April 2002, 23:41   #11
Djay
95th User

the AmigaONE developers have stated that they are not going after a huge market base, and i think that is a stupid way of promoting your product.. they are basically saying...

"heres our FANTASIC NEW PRODUCT, but we know no one will buy it and no one will support it, but buy it anyway because your all AMIGA fans right, and you'll buy anything with the word AMIGA in its title, because you love the Amiga"

wrong, Wrong, WRONG

true, i, like most of you love the whole Amiga scene, but to try and make money out of the Amiga, at least software wise is a mistake.

if a old-skool developer famed for their fantasic Amiga games, are making a PC game and wanna convert it to the Amiga are wasting the publishers time and money (sad, but most publishers are in it for the money, case point Electronic Arts)...

... having said that if a few of the game developers (still big Amiga fans), added a free 2D version on the CD (which they had spent their own time producing), THAT WOULD BE COOL, i can only think of a few companies that might do this TEAM17, BITMAPS and alike.

but to do a total conversion, would take too much time, a 2D version wouldn't (??MAYBE??)

or how about a free Amiga version download from the Website, another cool idea, but just like any other business, you don't make money by doing things for free.

i think we would all love the Amiga to Rise from the Ashes and whip up M$ and BINtel, but i can't see it happening.

I'm happy to use my A1200 and WinUAE for Old-Skool productions, if a new piece of software comes out, i'd probably buy it just to have it.

(comments for and against in the same post)- ho hummm
Old 18 April 2002, 05:27   #12
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Doesn't Team 17 still make Amiga games? Wasn't Nightlong published in Amiga?

If I develop a game in PC with Blitz Basic , I can later compile it on an amiga ?

I am really interested in learning Blitz Basic ...
Old 18 April 2002, 19:37   #13
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

@Shatterhead
Team 17 stopped making Amiga games about 5-6 years ago. All of the big Amiga game conversions like Nightlong, Quake, Heretic II etc. that have appeared over the last few years have been licensed from the original publishers and released by software houses like Clickboom and Hyperion.
Old 18 April 2002, 19:40   #14
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally posted by minded
Maybe there will be some new games to AmigaONE when it comes. If they programm it for PPC they can be very cool. Just think Payback for PPC in GTA3 style.
Payback has been released for both 68k and PPC on Amiga.
Old 18 April 2002, 21:26   #15
minded

@Djay

This is sad but true. I agree with most of the things you say but not all of them. You say that people these days just make games and computers for making money. This is true but you cannot say that people before maked games and computers for not making money.
Old 18 April 2002, 21:41   #16
oldpx

You can tell from the essence of the game whether if it was made by guys having fun coding the game and aiming for the player to have fun or by people with only greed for money. This was always the case and it still is. Only the standards have changed and modern games require more professional (!) teams, the resulting game is just dull, unoriginal yet technically ok. An enthusiast just can't code a commercial game with a friend of his anymore, gaming is an industry, it is a beast now, you have to be a merchant to survive yet there are exclusions.

Thief, was an original game IMO but the developers, looking glass studios just couldn't survive this mess. What a shame

Old 19 April 2002, 00:28   #17
Djay
95th User

Quote:
people before maked games and computers for not making money
oh yes, i totally agree

however, people like Codemasters etc.. etc... made games with very little return, well nothing like what it is today,
back in the old days, i think developers made games that they wanted to, games they enjoyed playing...

... where as these days, you have massive teams making stuff like fifa 2002, i would imagine that a bloke who is great at writing game-engines actually hates the genre he's working on...

its all a bit TOO commercial these days, abit like the UK Club Scene...

PLEASE someone bring back the old days LOL
Old 19 April 2002, 05:55   #18
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Yeah, I always thought about making a developing team with friends and stuff , but that's just impossible. I wouldn't make games "for the market", and me and just a few friends couldn't make big games....

What's sad, is that the guys who seemed to LIKE to do games, have dissapeared.
Old 19 April 2002, 08:02   #19
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I watched a really good flick on HBO a couple of days ago called "Dancing In September" which is about the TV industry. It chronicled the span of a TV series from the idealist young writer who stuck by her ideas until ultimately compromising the quality bit by bit in the neverending quest to "please the demographic audience". It really put the entire entertainment industry in perspective. Ultimately, her show became saturated with trivial cliches, over-exaggerated body language, jive humor and dumbed-down scenarios - all in the quest for the largest TV share. As you watch the film, you can see that the same thing cripples movies, music and games. And they are all operated with the same industrialized mentality...if you can't make the Top Ten, then go away. Certainly this is more explicit on television, since there are only so many slots. But with games and music, there is only so much shelf space. With movies, there are only so many mall cinema screens. The rest ends up in the cult niche holes.

Entertainment has never been so disgustingly vapid.
Old 19 April 2002, 14:38   #20
blackcornflake

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
Entertainment has never been so disgustingly vapid.
Cheer up Twistin'Ghost, oh what can it be?

That's the mainstream for you. When was it any different? By definition the mainstream populist stuff attempts to appeal to as broad a range of people as it can, thereby maximising viewers/readers/purchasers.

Alternative stuff always has, and always will, co-exist for those to whom 'I Love Lucy' does not appeal. Each to their own. To some, Britney Spears is the pinnacle of musical brilliance. Is their opinion less valid than someone who digs opera?

Sorry to beef, but I feel the need to defend those poor lowest-common-denominator souls' right to enjoy their vapid entertainment. Anything else is elitist, no?