English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 28 July 2020, 15:00   #21
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
You are not the only one rabidgerry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Comm...7658750549157/
Sorry I clicked on that link and it brought me to a Commodore Amiga facebook page. Not quite sure what I'm meant to be reading (if I'm being thick I apologise )
Old 28 July 2020, 15:09   #22
Gordon
Settler

Sorry you probably cant see it as you need to be a member. He has responded to a guy who had same issue as you(sent board but no comms) saying he is very busy and to message on facebook as emails get buried.
Old 28 July 2020, 15:18   #23
IanS

I can't say whether he is good, bad or indifferent, but I think you're panicking too soon. Unless he promised to have your Amiga back by a certain date, perhaps patience is the key? You only sent it about two 2 working weeks ago?

And if you aren't prepared to contact him via his primary communication channel, again, you're making the situation a little more difficult than it needs to be. Setting up a Facebook account is easy... you don't even need to put any real details in, except a valid email address.

Just my thoughts. Hope you get the result you want.
Old 28 July 2020, 16:02   #24
str0m

"you're making the situation a little more difficult than it needs to be"

Completely disagree. If someone has sent an item in to be repaired it only takes 30 seconds to respond to an email even if it's just a "sorry, still on the to do list, will update asap". Expecting a customer to sign up to a different messaging service just to get a reply is not on.

I have used him before and he did a good job but it took months and the contact was as difficult/slow as others have experienced.
Old 28 July 2020, 16:31   #25
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS View Post
Unless he promised to have your Amiga back by a certain date, perhaps patience is the key? You only sent it about two 2 working weeks ago?
Well he promised no turn around times to me, so by your logic am I supposed to sit and just wait indefinitely? So say it was another 3 months? Are you serious?

Let's clear this up in case you haven't been reading. I established contact via email, he responds very fast back and forth a few times. I send the Amiga to him. I then ask over the weekend about possibility to get timing fixes done also. No response (that was a Saturday I believe). Then I check tracking on Monday morning to see it has been signed for which it has. So I then email him again to find out if he received it and was it ok (i.e. survived transit)

No response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS View Post

And if you aren't prepared to contact him via his primary communication channel, again, you're making the situation a little more difficult than it needs to be. Setting up a Facebook account is easy... you don't even need to put any real details in, except a valid email address.

Just my thoughts. Hope you get the result you want.
He has an email for a reason, obviously to be contacted via that method and it makes sense to be as open to as many possible avenues as possible to secure business.

He never at one point told me told me "my primary means of communication is facebook so you will be treated secondary to this since you established contact with me via email"

How am I making things more difficult for myself? All I wanted to know is did he get my Amiga? I never asked when it would be ready. Since I received no reply about whether he got it or not naturally I get worried. I appreciate the guy is busy and I don't know how many times I need to say that but FFS had he emailed me and said, "got it no worries will be in touch when the work is done" then I would at least not be so worried. Actually a bit of courtesy would have been to let me know it was going to take a month, two months, three months. I should have been told that in the beginning actually.

And another thing as stated in case you had not been reading, a mate on here contacted him on my behalf via facebook.................and he responded and told him to tell me to EMAIL him my order number. So I did this.

And he never got back to me.

I have no doubt his work has earned the reputation it has on here and else where, I am not here to discredit anyone.

Last edited by rabidgerry; 28 July 2020 at 16:55.
Old 28 July 2020, 16:51   #26
Gordon
Settler

When someone has a recap business, they get their business straight away. They get payment for the recap and they get a motherboard. Now if there is a problem, the most a customer will get back is a refund for the recap. Not your mother-board, the thing that is worth £100+. If they build up a good rep, the odd complaint wont affect them with that comes a nice mother-board to add to stock when things back down.
Old 28 July 2020, 17:04   #27
rabidgerry

Quote:
When someone has a recap business, they get their business straight away. They get payment for the recap and they get a motherboard. Now if there is a problem, the most a customer will get back is a refund for the recap. Not your mother-board, the thing that is worth £100+. If they build up a good rep, the odd complaint wont affect them with that comes a nice mother-board to add to stock when things back down.
Well this is why there is worry, it's a prized and pricey possession, surely everyone understands that who has an Amiga.
Old 28 July 2020, 17:33   #28
RetroPassionUK
RetroPassion

Hello!

Due to the shear amount of boards coming on for rework, its having an impact on replying to every email/message thats comes in at the moment asking if the board has arrived, where is it in the queue etc.

The focus is on getting these boards done and returned without cutting corners or doing shoddy work.

Also we have had a few repairs that have taken far longer than they should have, all this has a knock on effect.

So don't worry, we will go through all the boards that have arrived and send a very quick email to confirm we have it in due course.

Thanks!!

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
Does anyone know the guy Steve from RetroPassion / AmigaPassion?

I sent of my Amiga 1200 motherboard to him last week for a re-capping and from what I can tell it was signed for and delivered on Monday to his address.

I've sent him a few emails asking if he got it ok and haven't received any response back. The last one I sent was on Tuesday 14th.

So I'm just seeing if anyone knows the guy or has some contact with him as I'd very much like to know what is going on with my Amiga at this point? I wouldn't be worried had I had a response back but since I've heard nothing I'm concerned particularly as he could have Coronavirus for all I know and not be able to respond but I don't know that so the uncertainty is somewhat bothering.

I'm sure if some of you were in the same boat you would be concerned too.
Old 28 July 2020, 17:51   #29
RetroPassionUK
RetroPassion

Darn it caught out! I was about to make a mint selling all the boards I have, nevermind, I suppose i'd better complete the work and return them to their owners :-)

Maybe next time!

Quote:
Old 28 July 2020, 18:01   #30
rabidgerry

Well that is good to know. Thanks to CrazyC again for helping out.
Old 29 July 2020, 08:15   #31
RetroPassionUK
RetroPassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
Does anyone know the guy Steve from RetroPassion / AmigaPassion?

I sent of my Amiga 1200 motherboard to him last week for a re-capping and from what I can tell it was signed for and delivered on Monday to his address.

I've sent him a few emails asking if he got it ok and haven't received any response back. The last one I sent was on Tuesday 14th.

So I'm just seeing if anyone knows the guy or has some contact with him as I'd very much like to know what is going on with my Amiga at this point? I wouldn't be worried had I had a response back but since I've heard nothing I'm concerned particularly as he could have Coronavirus for all I know and not be able to respond but I don't know that so the uncertainty is somewhat bothering.

I'm sure if some of you were in the same boat you would be concerned too.
Got to the bottom of this one after going through every box we have, the box was sent with no details on the outside or inside (yes we do get a few with no details) so we had no idea who it was from, it was put to one side as it could have been anything including a board we purchased ourselves.

This is just one of the things we have to manage in running our business and takes time.

This board will be done in the next day or so if no issues are found :-)

Thanks!
Old 29 July 2020, 08:55   #32
RetroPassionUK
RetroPassion

Replied via Ebay :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigatime View Post
Does anyone have a contact number for Steve?
Old 29 July 2020, 11:08   #33
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaPassion View Post
Got to the bottom of this one after going through every box we have, the box was sent with no details on the outside or inside (yes we do get a few with no details) so we had no idea who it was from, it was put to one side as it could have been anything including a board we purchased ourselves.

This is just one of the things we have to manage in running our business and takes time.

This board will be done in the next day or so if no issues are found :-)

Thanks!
Replied via email and listed board identification.
Old 03 October 2020, 09:59   #34
Blizzard1260

So beside the response by email in these busy days everyone was happy with the recap at the end?`

I would like to recap my A500 and A1200 to making them ready for the future
Old 03 October 2020, 10:36   #35
polomint

Note also that he is available on WhatsApp too - +44 7411 539034
There is a button to it on his fb page.
Old 03 October 2020, 13:27   #36
lilwshu

My A1200 works fine after a Retropassion recap (it did before but some caps were noticeably leaking) and the work looks tidy, without dodgy burn marks to plastic items etc etc that you sometimes see.
Old 03 October 2020, 13:57   #37
wazza

Steve did a board repair for me a few years ago when I managed to burn a trace on my A1200. He did a very neat job and also managed to diagnose a problem with a faulty ACA card which prevented me from doing the same thing again. Thumbs up from me.
Old 03 October 2020, 19:30   #38
E-Penguin
Banana

Excellent quality work throughout.
Old 04 October 2020, 21:21   #39
Bladecmc

So far I had sent him for re-cap

--> two 1200's, two 600's and two CD32,

Can take 5 to 6 weeks but it is always worth the wait.

Quality re-cap every time.. Probably send him my 500's soon too:-)
Old 04 October 2020, 23:58   #40
MrClump

Expect to wait a few weeks, but for a very high standard of workmanship. I think with something as precious and irreplaceable as an Amiga mainboard that is exactly what you want.