English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 19 February 2018, 00:15   #1
marm

File management

I've got loads of samples I'd like to organise a bit better and moving stuff around using the CLI is a bit of a bore.

I tried Dopus 4.12 but for some reason it only recognises one partition on my flash card (should be dh0, but it shows up under "c:") dh0 and dh1 show up in the list but then fail to be recognised... also it won't recognise my external (Gotek) drive - df0 is fine as long as there's a disk in it but not df1.

I've run it straight from an ADF on the Gotek drive, also copied it to a folder on dh0 and ran from there - same thing both times.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on, or if not can anyone suggest a suitable alternative program. I just want to be able to do basic stuff... move and delete files, create directories etc.
Old 19 February 2018, 00:31   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Filemaster2.2 is what i've used for over 25 years, its small, efficient and never lets me down.
http://aminet.net/util/dir/FileMaster2.0.lha
Old 19 February 2018, 00:32   #3
AMIGASYSTEM

I do not know if I understand correctly, I do not think the problem is the Filemanager, you have verified that there are no volumes with the same name?

As a file manager you can try DirWork small, light and fast
Old 19 February 2018, 00:37   #4
marm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
you have verified that there are no volumes with the same name?
Yes.

Thanks for both the recommendations, will check them out.
Old 19 February 2018, 05:52   #5
McTrinsic

I really like DosControl 6. On a MUI-system, I like RO.
Old 20 February 2018, 20:31   #6
marm

Have attached some photos to illustrate the issue. Basically-

DF0: works, and so does the RAM disk.
DH0: shows up as "C:".
DF1: and DH1: are nowhere to be seen.
Dopus displays HD0: and HD1: in the list (note the reversed letters), as well as the mysterious DH2: none of these entries can actually find a disk though.

System is a standard A1200 with Workbench 3.1. It has an internal floppy drive ( DF0: ) an external Gotek drive ( DF1: ) and an CF card internally with two partitions on it (DH0: and DH1: )

In terms of installing it (or setting up) all I've done is to attempt to run from a floppy, and then copied the contents of that floppy to drawer on DH0:

In either case it did the same thing.

But it's very VERY possible that I'm missing something very simple.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8337.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	432.7 KB
ID:	56907   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8339.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	494.9 KB
ID:	56908  
Old 20 February 2018, 21:22   #7
AMIGASYSTEM

Nothing is missing from yours Dopus4, you just have to change HD0 to DH0, HD1 to DH1 etc.. see look at my old video how to edit:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 21 February 2018, 01:10   #8
marm

Quote:
Nothing is missing from yours Dopus4, you just have to change HD0 to DH0, HD1 to DH1 etc.. see look at my old video how to edit:

[ Show youtube player ]
Ah! I'm not exactly sure what you're doing in that video to be honest, but somehow it set me on the right track and I found a button that maps the drives in the settings. Seems to be working nice now. Thanks!

Impressed with Dopus so far. It knows what to do with my samples (i.e. I can audition them from within Dopus by double clicking). But saying that some of them just get displayed as garbled text. Any idea how to fix the ones that display as text? It might be that they're the same ones that Octamed recognises as "mangled IFFs" (although octamed is able to make them work by loading as RAW samples).
Old 21 February 2018, 10:56   #9
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marm View Post
Ah! I'm not exactly sure what you're doing in that video to be honest, .
The video previous oneshows how to add a "GetDevice" so you can see all the volumes available in the system.

For editing di HD0 to DH0 e and audio player association, Wav, Mod, Mp3 ora or other types of files, see this video attached:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 21 February 2018, 11:05   #10
-Acid-

Quote:
Originally Posted by marm View Post
Any idea how to fix the ones that display as text? It might be that they're the same ones that Octamed recognises as "mangled IFFs" (although octamed is able to make them work by loading as RAW samples).
Instead of double clicking them highlight the one that display as text and click the play button.
Old 21 February 2018, 15:20   #11
daxb

Filetype recognition is responsible. Usually filetype detection is done be analysing the header of file like IFF (8svx) samples. RAW means there is no header in the file. A RAW file can be everything. See DOpus4 Configuration -> Filetypes. Maybe the default filetype is used for your RAW samples. IMHO the best solution for RAW samples is to use the suggestion from -Acid-. You can also change the used sample player to your needs. Normally DOpus use the inbuilt player. A good external player is Play16 that can also play RAW samples. Problem is you need to supply at least a sample rate that fits. If you want to use it in Octamed than choose a common note (C-3 for example). E.g. 8bit, 16kHz, mono or similar.
Old 22 February 2018, 18:08   #12
marm

Quote:
The video previous oneshows how to add a "GetDevice" so you can see all the volumes available in the system.

For editing di HD0 to DH0 e and audio player association, Wav, Mod, Mp3 ora or other types of files, see this video attached:

[ Show youtube player ]
Yep, I found the "GetDevice". Thanks for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Acid- View Post
Instead of double clicking them highlight the one that display as text and click the play button.
Thanks! That did the trick...

Been organising samples today - quite satisfying, and much quicker this way than it would have been using the CLI. The in-built help is useful for keyboard shortcuts - "ctrl-y" is a quick way to audition followed by "ctrl-shift-m" to move files around.

Seems I haven't installed it properly though. Just realised that it's looking for files on df1: (although I'm launching it from files copied to the hard drive it won't work unless the Dopus ADF is on DF1. Explains why it's a little slow to start up.

Anyone know how I should have installed it? So far I've just copied the contents of the downloaded ADF to a drawer on DF0:...
Old 22 February 2018, 23:56   #13
fgh

See that little S box in the middle of the dopus screen?
Right click it to show all drives and assigns
Old 23 February 2018, 00:30   #14
AMIGASYSTEM

With the latest versions of Dopus (4.17), to see all the Drives just click on the side bars (Sx and Dx)
Old 23 February 2018, 10:03   #15
marm

Thanks guys. I can see all the drives now. But I can't run the program without the floppy in the drive...(or the ADF in the Gotek)

Any ideas?
Old 23 February 2018, 13:54   #16
daxb

What program can't be run? How do you try to start it? Look for assigns, config entries or similar to DFx:. SnoopDos can help you by this.
Old 23 February 2018, 14:18   #17
emufan

I think the dopus.library and the modules folder are missing on the sys: partition.
maybe an assign to DOpus: too. if there is an installer on your floppy image, just install DOpus.
else snoopdos, as daxb said, will help.
Old 23 February 2018, 18:17   #18
AMIGASYSTEM

New versions of Dopu4 (4.16/4.17) they do not have anymore need to Assign, just unzip the archive and run exe.
Old 28 February 2018, 19:47   #19
marm

Thanks guys, I'm a little confused.

To clarify I am trying to run Dopus 4.12 from DH0: (the system partition on my CF card)

The ADF I downloaded from http://dopus.free.fr/download.php didn't seem to have an installer so I just copied the contents to a newly created drawer on DH0:

It runs fine (launching from DH0: ) as long as the original ADF is active in the Gotek drive (DF1). If not, I get the error messages in the attached pictures. I guess I need to manually copy the missing library somewhere, but being a total noob I have no idea where.

I am running workbench 3.1. I wasn't sure that that was the same as "AmigaOS 3.0 or higher" so went for 4.12 to be safe. Should I just install 4.16?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0105.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	57054   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0106.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	57055  
Old 28 February 2018, 19:54   #20
AMIGASYSTEM

Find HERE 4.16 and 4.17 where no assignment is needed, delete all files in version 4.12

If you want to use version 4.12 to have no Assign request you need to copy dopus.library in the Libs System Directory

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 28 February 2018 at 20:07.