English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 09 August 2001, 18:18   #1
Amiga1992

RCK: GBA question

So mate, what stuff did you got for yoru GBA yet? I got Mario Kart Advance yesterday, and it's brilliant! One great buy.

Any recommendations for my next buy? I already have two racers, so it's gotta be something else
Old 09 August 2001, 18:20   #2
Amigaboy

Whatever I develop MUST be on your wishlist!

(I plan on starting development on GBA games soon.....No idea how soon though )

Old 09 August 2001, 19:41   #3
Amiga1992

Well, it better be good so I fork the cash on one of those flashers Id like to do GBA dev as well (specially music wise), but first I want to get onto NGPC development. A brilliant machine that I like a damn lot, and is perfectly suited for C64 conversions

How about converting Amiga games? Soccer Kid springs to mind... Hmmm yummy for the tummy.
Old 09 August 2001, 19:48   #4
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Imagine..what an incredible development that would be, porting Amiga games to the GBA...wow.
Currently, the only way to play Amiga on the go is via emulation on a laptop.
Old 09 August 2001, 19:49   #5
Amigaboy

Well. If you look at the games being released for the GBA, they're all basically Amiga type games.

This is the main reason why I want to develop for it. It's very easy to do.

Old 09 August 2001, 19:54   #6
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Amiga games as GBA shovelware....the BEST shovelware ever. good going, man
Old 09 August 2001, 21:41   #7
Amiga1992

They are actually SNES games souped up But yes, you can get Amiga-type games made really easy, the machine can handle taht perfectly, and more..

GBA Turrican... *drool*
Old 10 August 2001, 19:26   #8
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

GBA King of Chicago..with save option..*drool*
Old 10 August 2001, 20:36   #9
RCK
Administrator

Re: RCK: GBA question

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Any recommendations for my next buy? I already have two racers, so it's gotta be something else
The GBA rocks, I love it
now, I got the new batch of the GBA dev kit (Flash Advance Turbo), and there is no problem at all with it, one great point for dev. The GBA demos & PD games scene have just started since the last two months, so the production are not quite advance for the moment.

The demos looks like short tech performance, and the public games are really basic (bomberman, tetris...)
I'm waiting for the real dev, imagine one full time demo (5 min), with special effects and mp3 sound ?
I hope there will be some great parties (competition) about the GBA scene, like the POM98 & POM99 we got for the N64.

About my recommendations about your next game, you should buy one of my favourite one

- Castlevania - Circle of the Moon: One excellent game ! great music, great gameplay, great non linear adventure, a little bit RPG (XP, items...) : one must have finished game !

- Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2: Another very good game, nice music track, full speed and all the THPS2 N64 tricks ! (the pre-rendered sprite in 3D are really impressive)

- Rayman Advance: Classic but great. Excellent realisation.

- Super Street Fighter II X Revival: Incredible game !!! the coding is perfect, the fight is perfect, number 1 ! (if you like SF2)

- Pac-Man Collection: My favourite retro gaming game ! 4 pac-man in 1 !!! including "pacmania" and "pac-attack" ! you should not miss the new pacman (classic) updated ! full of new feature like speed arrow, magic items, on "can't die" game.

- Mario Kart Super Circuit: I hope everybody know it... 40 circuits, excellent gameplay, excellent multi-players battle, excellent game.

and what's next ? in the following months, don't miss:
- Mario Advance 2 (aka Super Mario World SNES)
- Wario Land 4
- Golden Sun (RPG)
- Magical vacation (RPG)

recommended GBA scene website:
http://64scener.parodius.com
http://www.gbaemu.com
http://www.pocketheaven.com
http://www.gbadev.org
Old 12 August 2001, 21:07   #10
Amiga1992

Re: Re: RCK: GBA question

Ok now be honest with me, nobody is looking... you bought all those games, right? Or are you using the cute dev unit? I think Ill buy one in a couple of months, Im interested in sound development (did you hear Purple Motion is tracking for the GBA??)

Anyway, I already got Mario Kart Advance (no Super Circuit for me, I got the JP vesion. Super Circuit is not even out! that's why I asked you about the dev unit , Ive seen the ROM around the net, somebody must have stolen it from a demo booth ), but Im tired of racers, I want a platformer, and Castlevania seems nice. But Ive been looking onto Klonoa as well...

And about SF2XR... does it play well with the shitty GBA controller? (its the only thing about the GBA I hate, the controller)

PAcMAnia in Pacman collection is a disgrace, its not even SIMILAR to the original! And they could have done a near-perfect arcade conversion, it pisses me off! I think I rather have the Namco Collection (Hmmm Pole PositioN!!!)

Quote:
Originally posted by RCK

- Mario Advance 2 (aka Super Mario World SNES)
Is it really going to be Mario World? If so, Im in! Im looking forward to Yoshi's Island though..
Old 12 August 2001, 21:47   #11
RCK
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: RCK: GBA question

Quote:
Ok now be honest with me, nobody is looking... you bought all those games, right? Or are you using the cute dev unit? I think Ill buy one in a couple of months, Im interested in sound development (did you hear Purple Motion is tracking for the GBA??)
I always buy all the great games. (a lot of RPG)
And the dev kit is usefull for testing the others.

The dev for the GBA is going to be huge !
All games companies considered the GBA as the new PSX now.

Quote:
I want a platformer, and Castlevania seems nice. But Ive been looking onto Klonoa as well...
Klonoa is not quite good, Castlevania is the best title from all the actual platform games.

Quote:
And about SF2XR... does it play well with the shitty GBA controller? (its the only thing about the GBA I hate, the controller)
hum... if you now arrive to access well the L & R button in Mario Kart, my answer is YES
the gameplay of SF2XR is as good as the arcade.

Quote:
PAcMAnia in Pacman collection is a disgrace, its not even SIMILAR to the original! And they could have done a near-perfect arcade conversion, it pisses me off!
What ?!!!!
you are wrong.
Pac-man collection have four pacman game inside him:
- PM arrangement : excellent new pacman, great zic, great item, great graphic, great fun.
- PM classic : original arcade game : with or without scrolling
- Pac attack : tetric like with good puzzle
- Pacmania : original arcade game.

Quote:
Is it really going to be Mario World? If so, Im in! Im looking forward to Yoshi's Island though.. [/B]
Yes ! Yes! Yes !!!!!!!
no new about Yoshi's Island for the moment.
Old 13 August 2001, 00:28   #12
Amiga1992

ARGH! I just wrote a message and after getting an error mesage that the file i was trying to attach was too0 big, it didnt let me edit my message, thus I have to write it again, and I cant be arsed to write that much!!!

in brief: SF2XR's controls will suck to me, specially with that dinky littlew D-Pad. How hard is it to pull Supers?

And about Pacman Collection.. I'm not wrong. Look at the attached pic. There is no way those two games are similar. the vision change has screwed up the gameplay completely. Yes I am picky, and PacMania is one of my faves. It pisses me off that they throw such a piece of shovelware, because the GBA CAN handle a near-pixel-perfect port of the game, just like the X68000

You forgot one game to look for: Gradius a _NEW_ ,_Gradius_, !!2D!! game!!

can't wait

Removed: Screenshots

Last edited by Ian; 08 December 2001 at 00:13.
Old 13 August 2001, 10:18   #13
RCK
Administrator

SF2EX is great, and super is not a problem for me. (at least when I'm at the left of the screen )
Gradius will rocks.

And about Pacman... read again my old post...
YES !! you ARE wrong !

But cause you don't seem to trust me, let me take screenshots about the four games present in Pac-man collection ...

Removed: Screenshots

Last edited by Ian; 08 December 2001 at 00:12.
Old 13 August 2001, 11:14   #14
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Now there's a game I'd take on the road with me!
Old 13 August 2001, 11:45   #15
Big-Byte
Long time member

Wow!!

I didnt know about Pacmania being on the GBA!! I loved that game.

As for Amiga conversions I read somewhere that they are going to convert all the old bitmap bros games starting with Speedball 2
to the GBA!!
Old 13 August 2001, 20:39   #16
Amiga1992

OH SHIT OH SHIT!

RCK! I am so sorry, I took that pic and info from IGN. As I always say tehy are FULL OF SHIT. They pointed to that pic as if it was PAcMania!!!

Now I am terribly HAPPY and will buy this game RIGHT NOW!

Sorry again, one more reason not to trust IGN, ever!
Old 14 August 2001, 11:08   #17
sborat

hi guys,
where to go and get the GBA ROMS ?
can you reccomend some site ?

Old 14 August 2001, 19:12   #18
Amiga1992

I don't like piracy of this baby Anyway, on IRC they ahev most of the roms and shit. Just look, they can be found anywhere. It's so sad ;/

And poeple thought piracy on the Amiga was bad? Check this out, with games being leaked before release dates and all! Some bastard at Best Buy or Toys R Us must be stealing the carts from the demo booths... just like people distro'ed disks that went to game mags... but now they are not complaining. The GB is teh most sold handheld EVER, and the most pirated one as well. But companies keep churning games for it. What's the deal then???