English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 30 December 2015, 16:55   #1
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Scrolling Beat'em ups for Amiga

So, I am trying to find out if the Amiga ever had one single good scrolling Beat'em up. I am looking for ECS 1mb games. That's what I've found out so far ,from better to worse:

Golden Axe - Fair port of an average game. It's the only game on the genre for Amiga which I don't think is below average, even though it does have some issues.

Motorhead - Lacks 2 players, each level has just 3 type of enemies, gets repetitive too fast. The bonus levels are nice, and the game is kinda fun actually.

Shadow Warriors - Slow port of an average game. Still playable though.

Double Dragon 2 - It was nearly there, but the game has some serious issues... AI is completely fucked up, with enemies hitting you as soon as a level starts, and you getting stuck in a loop where you are hit, fall down, and then you are hit as soon as you stand up and fall again, and keep going on until you are dead. The collision detection also has some issues.

Final Fight - Bad port of an awesome game. It's still playable, but it's laughable when you try to compare it to any other 16 bits version of the game. Also suffers from endless loops of getting hit without escape (at least here you can use the special move to get rid of it...... which DOES NOT TAKE ANY HEALTH FROM YOU, wtf?). This and DD2 were both ported by Richard Applin which, IMO was a very good programmer but had no idea of what made those games any good, so he didn't know how to proper transfer the good gameplay aspects of those games to the Amiga.

Double Dragon 3 - Fair port of an awful arcade game.

Renegade - Awful port of an average arcade game. The arcade game was basically the one who started the genre, so I can forgive its shortcomings. It was never supposed to be on home systems since the game is so ridiculous short. Master System version had lots of new levels to compensate, the Amiga one keeps the same 3 levels and an awful playability.

Renegade 3 - This game is awful on every system I played. (Why they didn't bother bringing Target Renegade to Amiga will always be a mystery to me)

Last Action Hero - This could had been a very good game on the genre. It has a nice moveset, it runs a decent framerate, it has lots of enemies on screen, it even tries to have different enemies with different attack patterns. It even has music and SFX togethe...But the AI is so fucked up (what with the enemies skidding all over the place?), and all the moveset is unnecessary since all you need to do is hold the fire button while your character keeps punching everyone on the face (WHY the hell did they make the game with a "turbo fire button", no game on the genre does that!)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - The Arcade Game: Wasted opportunity, awful on every aspect.

Double Dragon - HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Any other games I forgot?

I really think the Amiga could do a proper game on this genre, something akin to the first Streets of Rage (Or even a better arcade port of Turtles). If I had the knowledge and the time, I'd tackle trying to code on myself
Old 30 December 2015, 17:24   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

Double Dragon 3 have nice trainer in which you can choose different fighters - game was easier and more fun. Dynamite Dux was better in 2 players mode.
Old 30 December 2015, 17:56   #3
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Dynamite Dux, I had forgotten about that one. It was very slow on Amiga, wasn't it?
Old 30 December 2015, 18:15   #4
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Dragon Ninja?
Old 30 December 2015, 19:04   #5
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Dragon Ninja does not have vertical movement, I think this goes in another genre... which also is very badly done on Amiga overall (Dragon Ninja has too many issues with the controls, Vigilante is utterly awful, Ninja Warriors is pretty good though )

I think Dynamite Dux barely fits the genre
Old 30 December 2015, 19:20   #6
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Doman, Franko.
Old 30 December 2015, 19:27   #7
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I had seen Franko on youtube before, it seems to be a really bad game, though it's also funny as hell. Still have to play it though.

Doman I had never heard about before, I'll check it out.
Old 30 December 2015, 19:52   #8
Amigajay

Golden Axe an average game!? One of my favourites. Each to their own i guess
Old 30 December 2015, 21:26   #9
LuMan
Amigan - an' lovin' it!!

What was the Streets Of Rage Amiga version like? I think it was PPC only, but can't find a proper link to it.

@Predseda - Franko! What a smashing title screen. I forgot how much fun it was. The guy getting the uppercut has actually got an 8-pack! Is that physically possible??
Old 30 December 2015, 22:03   #10
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Golden Axe was released 6 months before Final Fight on arcade.

Golden Axe is a lot better than what we had before on the genre (Double Dragon etc), but after Capcom entered the genre, no one could get even close.

Golden Axe isn't a bad game, I just don't like its mechanics that much. The Amiga had a good port of it. I wish Amiga had a good port of, say, Final Fight itself, Captain Commando or Warriors of Fate, for example

I took a look at Doman... it does have some potential, though its gameplay looks a bit choppy... also it seems to lack a 2 players option?

Even the NES had some good beat'em ups, it's a shame the Amiga doesn't have many good ones.
Old 30 December 2015, 22:19   #11
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

One of my greatest laments back in the day was that the Amiga was oversaturated with soccer games but lacked decent beat-em-up titles.
Old 30 December 2015, 22:20   #12
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Doman has 2 players coop. Looks amateurish but believe me - it is alot of fun, if you manage to master it.
Old 30 December 2015, 22:32   #13
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I'll take a look at it.

Amiga is great for soccer and racing game. In the other hand it lacks on Beat'em ups and Fighting games.

Also it's full of shitty shoot'em ups. There are just a few good ones.
Old 31 December 2015, 08:06   #14
vulture

I'd argue that our platform has many great shooters, but that's another topic altogether, now, Strangers is another average pseudo-3d scrolling beater on miggy.

edit:
just saw that you're only looking for ECS/1mb games, so never mind Strangers which is AGA.

Last edited by vulture; 31 December 2015 at 13:37.
Old 31 December 2015, 09:01   #15
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuMan View Post
The guy getting the uppercut has actually got an 8-pack! Is that physically possible??
In Poland? Be sure ;-)
Old 31 December 2015, 13:56   #16
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I saw Strangers on a video some weeks ago, it seems to be pretty good.
Old 03 January 2016, 17:38   #17
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
Golden Axe is a lot better than what we had before on the genre (Double Dragon etc), but after Capcom entered the genre, no one could get even close.

Golden Axe isn't a bad game, I just don't like its mechanics that much. The Amiga had a good port of it. I wish Amiga had a good port of, say, Final Fight itself, Captain Commando or Warriors of Fate, for example
I agree that Golden Axe was ok on the Amiga, although way too easy.
It is relatively faithful to the arcade version but as you mention it has a few control issues and is less fun than the original.

Technically wise it is a dud. Really. It could have been nearly indistinguishable from the arcade but as such it is really a notch or two below it graphically despite the game lending itself almost perfectly to copper palette manipulation. The music also is barely passable.

But it is fun to play. Which for a Probe game is a rarity so this is probably due to them delegating the work to Dementia (according to the credits page).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
Even the NES had some good beat'em ups, it's a shame the Amiga doesn't have many good ones.
We can still fix this.
Old 03 January 2016, 17:49   #18
Gzegzolka

There is also After the War part I game, it's beat'em up but rather average.
Old 03 January 2016, 18:15   #19
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
We can still fix this.
Yet nobody does.
There has to be less forum activity and more action. I include myself on this.
Old 03 January 2016, 18:16   #20
Master484

I don't know if Pit-Fighter counts as scrolling beat them up, but I think it was an OK conversion. The realtime scaling of the sprites is well done, and the gameplay is quite close to the arcade. It got mixed reviews in the magazines though, ranging from 40% to 90%.

And about Final Fight, I think it's technically quite good, the screen can display 4 big enemies at the same time with only barely noticeable slowdown. For example on the SNES version there are never more than 3 enemies on the screen at once I think. But the gameplay is half finished and the enemy AI is very basic...they just walk next to you and throw punches. Without a doubt they just didn't have time to make anything better. Which is a shame, because the game runs fast, looks OK despite the low number of colors, and the controls are OK. Making arcade perfect good enemy AI for game like this could take many months, and as it usually is with conversions, there is no time for anything extra.