English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 07 August 2010, 17:43   #101
paul2010

A couple of years ago, I was (very slowly) building a PC and I had the side of the tower case off to connect some cables because I was wearing an anti-static wrist strap and just thought it was OK - not dangerous.

On powering on the PC, my finger accidently touched the CPU fan as it was going round and the next thing I knew, my finger wouldn't stop bleeding (I was actually surprised I hadn't chopped part of it off).

Since then, I've vowed to never have a tower case off with the power on.

I haven't actually had any PCs to upgrade (and risk hurting myself with!) for the last couple of years, as I threw out my old PCs and got an Apple iMac.
Old 11 August 2010, 08:56   #102
Skope
Protracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
I must have been 10-11 or so, and I connected my C64 power connector to the video port in the back in a daze of exaltation, after having finally gotten it back from a several weeks long stay at the repair shop. Off the to the shop it went again.

I did something similar for my lamest hour. I'd just bought a sampler for my A500 and came home all excited wanting to try it out. In all excitement I plugged the damn thing into the DF1 port, which btw is two pins wider than the port I was supposed to use. Instead of thinking "hmm it's a really tight fit, maybe I'm doing it wrong" I thought I'd better give it an extra push. When I turned the Amiga on I got a gray and black flickering screen and a huge "BWOOAOOAOOOAOO" from the speakers. Goodbye old friend.

Skope's first Amiga 1987-1991 R.I.P.
Old 11 August 2010, 11:21   #103
Skope
Protracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post

Btw : I copied endcli to 'exit' aswell after some of those moments
Hehe, I've made some changes to some of the standard amigados commands here aswell. Copy, list, move and delete are now cp, ls, mv and rm respectively due to years of unix beardyness.
Old 11 August 2010, 12:22   #104
blade002
Zone Friend

I had 2 PC's running side by side working on them from the back but only one of them was turned on with both having their CD drives removed. Because of their close proximity i couldn't tell which one was turned on and which one was turned off (I wasn't patient enough to check properly) so i plugged in a CD drive but into the one that was turned on! .. Oooooops!!!... you know what happened next
Old 11 August 2010, 12:31   #105
Wasagi

I remember reading the manual that came with my amiga, that warned you not to put floppy disks near magnets. After finding out it would wipe the disk, I decided to quickly format the disk by using a super strength car door magnet. Needless to say my a500 didnt load games from the floppy drive for about 6 months after that
Old 11 August 2010, 12:50   #106
Npl

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
I had 2 PC's running side by side working on them from the back but only one of them was turned on with both having their CD drives removed. Because of their close proximity i couldn't tell which one was turned on and which one was turned off (I wasn't patient enough to check properly) so i plugged in a CD drive but into the one that was turned on! .. Oooooops!!!... you know what happened next
The drive spun up, catched and wound up your tie and you were forced to run around carrying the PC close to your neck?

I attached and detached drives on running systems a few times. The OS needs to be restarted for them to work (often crashed), but otherwise there never were any problems.
Old 11 August 2010, 14:35   #107
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Npl View Post
The drive spun up, catched and wound up your tie and you were forced to run around carrying the PC close to your neck?

I attached and detached drives on running systems a few times. The OS needs to be restarted for them to work (often crashed), but otherwise there never were any problems.
Well maybe i wasn't specific enough. I didn't plug in the IDE Cable, i plugged in the molex power connector and blew the power supply
Old 11 August 2010, 14:41   #108
jabsy
Yeah Hup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Npl View Post
The OS needs to be restarted for them to work (often crashed), but otherwise there never were any problems.
Not in the nineties... there was ALWAYS smoke.
Old 11 August 2010, 14:41   #109
mihcael
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
... i plugged in the molex power connector and blew the power supply
This isn't a noob moment, or perhaps it is?? But a few months back i manged to plug in the molex connector on the HD upside down, thought it was a bit tight! Opps!
Old 11 August 2010, 20:16   #110
n0com

Skipping some mistyped disasters on the Apple ][+ and so on ...

At the Berlin AmiExpo i bought a nice 1,8 Meg RAM Expansion with a connector between the Gary and the mainboard. After an interesting journey home ( Party, Bahnhof Zoo Bahnhofsmission, hitchhiking ) I arrived home and started installing the expansion.

- open A500
- remove Gary
- insert connector
- insert Gary
- switch on A500
- wait
- switch off A500
- switch on A500
- wait
- read manual
- smell something
- locate source of this smell
- burn my finger on the Gary

After all I must say that the Gary is a very good designed integrated circuit. It survived about five minutes inserted in the wrong direction. After turning it the A500 and the RAM Expension lived happily ever after.

Old 20 August 2010, 14:34   #111
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihcael View Post
This isn't a noob moment, or perhaps it is?? But a few months back i manged to plug in the molex connector on the HD upside down, thought it was a bit tight! Opps!
LOL!! Yeah i have come close to do doing that on a couple of occasions but soon realized so you are not alone there mate
Old 20 August 2010, 14:59   #112
stefcep2

I switched the 240v to 110v of a powermac powersupply by mistake: killed it.
Old 20 August 2010, 22:28   #113
CMDR

- plugging a brand new 2002 era p4 processor in backwards and thinking it'd work
- uninstalling windows by deleting the windows folder
- spilling milk on the keyboard and melting it with a hairdryer
- buying an agp video card when i had a pci motherboard
- plugging a 6581 sid into a C64-C
Old 20 August 2010, 22:49   #114
Npl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDR View Post
- plugging a brand new 2002 era p4 processor in backwards and thinking it'd work
did you need to cut a few pins to do that?
Quote:
- uninstalling windows by deleting the windows folder
A relative of mine did nearly the same, in an attempt to "cleanup his PC" he made an new folder "scrap" and moved any file/folder there that "he never needed". Means pretty much everything except personal files and the icons on his desktop went there, and I later had to figure out why his PC unexpectedly dint boot (of course he dint tell me about his little innocent cleanup action until I found that folder later)
Quote:
- spilling milk on the keyboard and melting it with a hairdryer
Nice!
Old 20 August 2010, 23:05   #115
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Extremely lame: When I told my dad as a kid that a C64 is better than a MSX, because the C64 has sprites and a MSX doesn't
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccara View Post
Said aloud to myself: "how the hell do I 'end CLI'??" ... "wait, that sounds familiar".
That's teh epic lulz
Old 20 August 2010, 23:06   #116
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Make that MSX2 and I agree
Old 20 August 2010, 23:10   #117
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Make that MSX2 and I agree
All MSX computers have hardware sprites
Old 20 August 2010, 23:12   #118
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Yeah, but the MSX1 games are... well... besides your comment being not correct, I'd agree on the C64 > MSX1 bit
Old 20 August 2010, 23:14   #119
CMDR

Another one I forgot, probably about two years ago; so not really first time, but definately lame.
Dual booting XP/Vista just to play World Of Warcraft.
Blizzard not supporting my laptop's gpu on XP.
Now I play games on the amiga
Old 20 August 2010, 23:17   #120
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Yeah, but the MSX1 games are... well... besides your comment being not correct, I'd agree on the C64 > MSX1 bit
The MSX-1 does have hardware sprites, see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSX#System_specs