English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 29 August 2018, 18:48   #1
dissident

Temporary turning FAST memory off

Hi,

is there a way to turn off FAST memory so the system can't allocate it any more apart from this very common technique?

Code:
  CNOP 0,4
rd_turn_off_FAST_memory
  move.l  #MEMF_FAST+MEMF_LARGEST,d1 ;Get largest FAST-memory block
  jsr     -216(a6)                   ;AvailMem()
  tst.l   d0                         ;Still FAST memory ?
  beq.s   rd_no_more_FAST_memory     ;No -> skip
  move.l  #MEMF_FAST+MEMF_LARGEST,d1 ;Get largest FAST-memory block
  jsr     -198(a6)                   ;AllocMem()
  bra.s   rd_turn_off_FAST_memory    ;Loop
  CNOP 0,4
rd_no_more_FAST_memory
  rts
If I do it this way, it's a one-way street. The FAST memory is irreversible lost. I want a solution like NoFastMem of the WB 1.2/1.3 does. Switching FAST memory off and on again.

Does anyone know a smarter way in assembler?
Old 29 August 2018, 19:21   #2
alkis

Start with an empty list
If list empty get all memory and store memory pointers to list
if list not empty, walk list & free all list memory pointers
Old 29 August 2018, 19:34   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Even easier: store all address/size pairs in first (largest) allocated block.
Old 29 August 2018, 19:58   #4
dissident

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkis View Post
Start with an empty list
If list empty get all memory and store memory pointers to list
if list not empty, walk list & free all list memory pointers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Even easier: store all address/size pairs in first (largest) allocated block.
Thanks alkis&Toni. I will try this. I hope that the first largest memory block is large enough to save all address/size pairs.
Old 29 August 2018, 21:32   #5
PeterK

Why not patching AllocMem() and AvailMem() and let them simply return zero to all FastMem requests?
Old 29 August 2018, 21:42   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Why not patching AllocMem() and AvailMem() and let them simply return zero to all FastMem requests?
OS internal memory allocations may bypass LVO calls and call internal functions directly and AllocMem() is not the only memory allocation function.

IMHO LVO patching should be only used if there is no other cleaner solution.
Old 29 August 2018, 23:14   #7
PeterK

Ok, it depends on what you want to keep off from getting FastMem. And yes, of course, there are also Allocate(), AllocPooled(), AllocAbs() and AllocVec(). The latter calls AllocMem(). Don't know what the other functions are doing, whether they are based on AllocMem() too or not.

But I just had a short look into the disassembler listing of NoFastMem, which could be easily integrated into other programs. NoFastMem patches AvailMem() and AllocMem(), maybe in a little bit different way, but it's going into the same direction.

On the other side, when you are trying to allocate all available FastMem blocks you are never finished with that task, because at any time other programs may set their used blocks of FastMem free again, and then you will get into a race condition with those which want to allocate these new FastMem blocks.

Last edited by PeterK; 30 August 2018 at 00:26.
Old 30 August 2018, 09:28   #8
meynaf
son of 68k

Why not using NoFastMem itself ?
From within a program it should be easy to call Execute() or a similar function.
If it doesn't work on pre 2.0 then it can probably be adapted.
Old 30 August 2018, 09:29   #9
dissident

Quote:
On the other side, when you are trying to allocate all available FastMem blocks you are never finished with that task, because at any time other programs may set their used blocks of FastMem free again, and then you will get into a race condition with those which want to allocate these new FastMem blocks.
Hi PeterK, the code below works fine. The loop allocates all FAST memory:

Code:
 CNOP 0,4
turn_off_FAST_memory
  move.l  $4.w,a6                   ;Get Exec-Base
  move.l  #$20004,d1                ;Request: MEMF_FAST+MEMF_LARGEST
  move.l  d1,d2                     ;Save request
  jsr     -216(a6)                  ;AvailMem(): Get first largest FAST-memory block
  move.l  d0,-(a7)                  ;Save size
  move.l  d2,d1                     ;Request: MEMF_FAST+MEMF_LARGEST
  jsr     -198(a6)                  ;AllocMem(): Allocate first largest FAST-memory block
  move.l  d0,-(a7)                  ;Save pointer 2x
  move.l  d0,a2
turn_off_FAST_memory_loop
  jsr     -216(a6)                  ;AvailMem(): Get largest FAST-memory block
  move.l  d0,(a2)+                  ;Save size
  beq.s   no_more_FAST_memory       ;If NULL -> skip
  jsr     -198(a6)                  ;AllocMem(): Allocate largest FAST-memory block
  move.l  d0,(a2)+                  ;Save pointer
  bra.s   turn_off_FAST_memory_loop ;Loop
  CNOP 0,4
no_more_FAST_memory
  rts

CNOP 0,4
turn_on_FAST_memory
  move.l  (a7)+,a2                  ;Get pointer to first largest block
  move.l  a2,a3                     ;Save it
turn_on_FAST_memory_loop
  move.l  (a2)+,d0                  ;Get size
  beq.s   free_first_block          ;If NULL -> skip
  move.l  (a2)+,a1                  ;Get pointer
  jsr      -210(a6)                 ;FreeMem()
  bra.s   turn_on_FAST_memory_loop  ;Loop
  CNOP 0,4
free_first_block
  move.l  a3,a1                     ;Get pointer of first largest block
  move.l  (a7)+,d0                  ;Get size of first largest block
  jmp     -210(a6)                  ;FreeMem()
But you are right, there's one disadvantage regarding the multitasking environment. If a program was opened before my routine allocated all FAST-memory and is quit before I release my allocated FAST-memory, there will be available FAST memory again. Turing off the multitasking via Forbid() and Permit() maybe useful only in very special cases.

My idea is to patch the memory-list at the pointer Exec-Base->MemList. Just removing the node of FAST memory out of the memory list with Remove() and inserting it again with Insert(). But this could be dangerous, because it's a private structure and could mess everything up.

Last edited by dissident; 30 August 2018 at 09:44.
Old 30 August 2018, 09:37   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Right, I forgot that problem.. There does not seem to be any nice and simple solutions.

Quote:
My idea is to patch the memory-list at the pointer Exec-Base->MemList. Just removing the node of FAST memory out of the memory list with Remove() and inserting it again with Insert(). But this could be dangerous, because it's a private structure and could mess everything up.
It should work until someone tries to free memory that was allocated from removed node.
Old 30 August 2018, 09:37   #11
dissident

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Why not using NoFastMem itself ?
From within a program it should be easy to call Execute() or a similar function.
If it doesn't work on pre 2.0 then it can probably be adapted.
Hi meynaf, I've tested it on a WinUAE-68060 config. NoFastMem also works with KS 3.1.

Yes, using it via Execute() could be a solution, but then my program would require the pre OS2.0 NoFastMem in a OS 2.0+ environment.

Last edited by dissident; 30 August 2018 at 09:50.
Old 30 August 2018, 09:41   #12
dissident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
It should work until someone tries to free memory that was allocated from removed node.
Yes, I really had the same idea, so this can't be the solution. It's too complex and dangerous messing up this list.
Old 30 August 2018, 12:36   #13
Tomislav

I think that some bootblocks can do that. Turn off memory and floppy drives. And some could switch PAL/NTSC.

Last edited by Tomislav; 30 August 2018 at 13:24.
Old 30 August 2018, 14:43   #14
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident View Post
Less dangerous than removing the entry, would be to set priority so that chipmem is allocated first. Then, no fast mem unless the system runs out of chip.
(But don't ask me how to do that, i've tried to change priority of the mem nodes and it didn't work ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident View Post
Hi meynaf, I've tested it on a WinUAE-68060 config. NoFastMem also works with KS 3.1.

Yes, using it via Execute() could be a solution, but then my program would require the pre OS2.0 NoFastMem in a OS 2.0+ environment.
Normally in a 2.0+ environment, NoFastMem should be available somewhere, like sys:system/NoFastMem.

Then again, it all depends why you want to remove fastmem from the system.
What does your program do ? What is the final goal ?
Perhaps better solutions exist than just removing the fastmem.
Old 30 August 2018, 14:57   #15
Don_Adan

Quote:
Less dangerous than removing the entry, would be to set priority so that chipmem is allocated first. Then, no fast mem unless the system runs out of chip.
(But don't ask me how to do that, i've tried to change priority of the mem nodes and it didn't work ).

Normally in a 2.0+ environment, NoFastMem should be available somewhere, like sys:system/NoFastMem.

Right, dependent what he want to do. If he want to load exe files to chip ram, he can modify hunks to load into chip ram. If he want to disable Alloc fast mem, he can alloc full Fast at begining and nothing will be loaded/allocated to fast mem.
Old 30 August 2018, 18:56   #16
alkis

Quote:
But I just had a short look into the disassembler listing of NoFastMem, which could be easily integrated into other programs. NoFastMem patches AvailMem() and AllocMem(), maybe in a little bit different way, but it's going into the same direction.
This.

It patches AvailMem to never report the fast mem (which stays unallocated), and patches AllocMem to clear the bit of FAST_MEMORY and always return CHIP_MEMORY.
Old 31 August 2018, 08:13   #17
dissident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomislav View Post
I think that some bootblocks can do that. Turn off memory and floppy drives. And some could switch PAL/NTSC.
Yes, I know such bootblocks. Often you have a menu there to select PAL/NTSC mode or turn off FAST memory. I didn't check such a bootcode yet, but I guess FAST memory is turned off like the first code I posted. As this routine is called before any CLI window is opened and the bootroutine is a main routine, there can't be much other routines releasing their allocated FAST memory after FAST memory was turned off.
Old 31 August 2018, 08:26   #18
meynaf
son of 68k

I fail to see any good use for that in a bootblock.

If you're running your own code, it's a magnitude simpler to just pass the correct flags to allocmem calls in order to get chipmem.
And if it's not your own code that runs after, patching it shouldn't be that hard either.
Old 31 August 2018, 08:46   #19
dissident

Quote:
Yes, I already had the same idea, changing the priority of the node. This could be done this way by the old tool SlowMemLast of WB 1.2. Or they also patched the AllocMem() function.

Quote:

I've checked it. On the WB 3.0 disc NoFastMem is still in the system drawer. Funnily I didn't expect this and though didn't check it.

Sorry, that I didn't mention it. What I intended to do is loading executable files with LoadSeg(). These files should not be loaded into FAST memory, because it is most likely, they were coded on a machine without extra memory and the coder didn't expect there will be such like in old intros/demos. So FAST memory must be turned off before. After some system modifications, the code of the file is executed. But if any error occurs during my modifications or the file can't be loaded, I have to free the allocated FAST memory and exit my program.
To my mind, I already have a solution that is not too complicated with the second code I have posted.
Old 31 August 2018, 08:57   #20
dissident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Adan View Post
Right, dependent what he want to do. If he want to load exe files to chip ram, he can modify hunks to load into chip ram.
Yes, modifying the hunks could be a solution, but fails, if the exe file itself allocates memory not correctly and doesn't request CHIP memory in particular. To be honest, modifying hunks is not something I've done yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Adan View Post
If he want to disable Alloc fast mem, he can alloc full Fast at begining and nothing will be loaded/allocated to fast mem.
Yes, you got it. That's exactly what I will do.