English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 12 July 2020, 03:25   #161
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi Amigamia!

That would be great! Please post picture of the hardware "in action" if possible

Let me know if I can help if you run into problems!

Cheers!
Old 12 July 2020, 14:47   #162
Higgy

It would be great to get all the Minimig updates that have happened over the years rolled up to a new update.
I think Valentin said AGA was technically feasible (i.e. FPGA has enough space).
Old 12 July 2020, 17:46   #163
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi Higgy!

Would you know how different/related are the cores of the Minimig, Replay, Vampire, etc.?

I don't know much about the programming of FPGAs but could the "same" cores as the Minimig, Replay, or Vampire be used for the Fleafpga?

(Maybe the Vampire core(s) are closed, though...)

Cheers!
Old 12 July 2020, 17:48   #164
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

The Vampire is indeed a closed design. The other two are Minimig variants though and are under an open-source license.
Old 12 July 2020, 17:51   #165
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi Samurai Crow!

Ah, interesting!

Would you know how different (better or worse) are the different open cores when compared to each other?

I'm not trying to have a debate here, just a rough idea

Cheers!

Last edited by tygre; 12 July 2020 at 17:52. Reason: Politeness :-)
Old 12 July 2020, 23:00   #166
amigamia

Hooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
It would be great to get all the Minimig updates that have happened over the years rolled up to a new update.
I think Valentin said AGA was technically feasible (i.e. FPGA has enough space).

OK that I didn't know! Interesting to know it is capable.
Old 26 September 2020, 17:36   #167
amigamia

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsonb5 View Post
The Flea's Minimig core includes two CPUs - one for the Amiga replica, and the other to run the menus and disk emulation. The second CPU has its own UART, and it's debug info from this second CPU that the core is currently routing over USB. It should be very easy to rebuild the core with the two sets of serial connections swapped so the Amiga's serial output goes over the USB instead.

Hi Robinsonb5, how hard would it be to port your Minimig_AGA_TC64 to the fleaohm board instead? This boards have not seen an updated since the launch of the IndieGoGo project by Valentin. The cores are still the same and not many of us have the experience to make any changes to the cores. Would you be able to do it with minimal effort? That would be awesome if you could
Old 26 September 2020, 19:36   #168
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigamia View Post
Hi Robinsonb5, how hard would it be to port your Minimig_AGA_TC64 to the fleaohm board instead?

I think the fleaohm uses DVI / HDMI outputs? That, unfortunately, means it's not just a case of remapping pins and compiling - it would take significant time and effort (from someone familiar with dealing with DVI/HDMI outputs).
Old 26 September 2020, 20:14   #169
amigamia

Ah bummer! Yes it is a HDMI output. It was worth asking as I have no idea what it would require. I appreciate your very quick response though.

Would there be any update that can be done to the one posted by Valentin on his github page? I am just trying to put some life in this little board and see how to get the best out of it.
Old 26 September 2020, 20:18   #170
Higgy

Just getting AGA would be good. Flea does not have AGA .
The hardware gives it a good Sysinfo score, certainly over MiST.
Yes it has DVI/HDMI. I remember the output is a bit picky with AMIGA Core, it does not work with my Samsung TVs. Valentin did compile a more compatible version but the screen colour was only 15 bits? Sorry cant quite remember .
Old 28 September 2020, 15:18   #171
Amiga1992

Quote:
Just getting AGA would be good. Flea does not have AGA .
I would rather the ECS be updated before even getting AGA, because it runs with a lot of bugs.
I'm quite disappointed that this amazing little board did not catch the attention of developers. Hopefully someone can help robinsonb5's core to be ported over to the Flea.
Old 28 September 2020, 17:28   #172
robinsonb5

I have exchanged a few emails with Valentin - he's certainly aware of my version of the core. I'm not sure what his plans are regarding porting / releasing, however.

The AGA core should be quite a bit more stable than the ECS one, albeit a little slower CPU-wise - I suppose it would be possible to move the CPU glue logic from the AGA core across, but it's probably more sensible for the whole core to be ported en masse.
Old 28 September 2020, 20:30   #173
amigamia

Quote:
I have exchanged a few emails with Valentin - he's certainly aware of my version of the core. I'm not sure what his plans are regarding porting / releasing, however.

The AGA core should be quite a bit more stable than the ECS one, albeit a little slower CPU-wise - I suppose it would be possible to move the CPU glue logic from the AGA core across, but it's probably more sensible for the whole core to be ported en masse.
Keeping finger crossed that between you and Valentin something new comes out. Thank you!
Old 28 September 2020, 21:51   #174
Amiga1992

Yeah it sucks that only Valentin is the one porting things over, he 's done enough, he made the platform!

Really wonder what would need to happen for this cool little platform to catch on among FPGA programmers.
Old 28 September 2020, 21:54   #175
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Yeah it sucks that only Valentin is the one porting things over, he 's done enough, he made the platform!

Really wonder what would need to happen for this cool little platform to catch on among FPGA programmers.

Availability would help - I don't think you can currently buy them. can you?
Old 28 September 2020, 21:55   #176
Amiga1992

Quote:
Availability would help - I don't think you can currently buy them. can you?
No, but what happened with the original run of 50 or so?
had it gone to the right hands and there was more dev interest, Valentin maybe would have done another run.

With that said,. mate, if you want a board, you can borrow mine indefinitely, if that would help you be interested in the platform! I still owe you one about that CD32 pad converter
Old 28 September 2020, 22:03   #177
Higgy

The PC Core was quite ahead of the others at the time.
Ran quick, had good memory and cracking sound. Made a good Scumm playing platform.

I can do the stuff like put it in a nice case with connectors and switches, but software
I probably should have built mine into a chunky PS/2 keyboard.
Old 28 September 2020, 22:10   #178
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
With that said,. mate, if you want a board, you can borrow mine indefinitely, if that would help you be interested in the platform! I still owe you one about that CD32 pad converter
Thanks for that - I appreciate it. I'll wait until I near hear back from Valentin, however, because (a) my hands are fairly full at the moment, and (b) I don't want to duplicate his efforts, if he is porting and intending to release it.
In the meantime I'll take a look at the project files for the ECS port and see if I can get a feel for what's required to bring cores to this platform.
Old 28 September 2020, 22:14   #179
robinsonb5

Quote:
The PC Core was quite ahead of the others at the time.
Ran quick, had good memory and cracking sound. Made a good Scumm playing platform.

Indeed - the Next186 core is really cool. There's plenty that doesn't work, but what does work works very nicely.

Quote:
I can do the stuff like put it in a nice case with connectors and switches, but software
I probably should have built mine into a chunky PS/2 keyboard.

I still want an FPGA laptop. There are laptop-style enclosures for PIs - the flea might be a good candidate for powering such a thing?
Old 28 September 2020, 22:21   #180
Amiga1992

Quote:
Thanks for that - I appreciate it. I'll wait until I near hear back from Valentin, however, because (a) my hands are fairly full at the moment, and (b) I don't want to duplicate his efforts, if he is porting and intending to release it.
In the meantime I'll take a look at the project files for the ECS port and see if I can get a feel for what's required to bring cores to this platform.
You're the best! Offer still stands, for whenever if you want to take it