English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Gaming

Old 13 May 2019, 10:50   #21
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I think Daedalus's picture is trying to say it's like comparing apples and orchards, not the same
Old 14 May 2019, 14:14   #22
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Never played EVE Online, so can't tell difference, but Elite Dangerous is very enjoyable and you can make it what you like... it is rarely I do the same task twice in week. From obvious exploring to faction/power fights to (antity) pirating, upgrading ship (engineering or unlocking guardian technology)... just huge amount of stuff.

As for enjoying the game your own way - neither I have ships that are billion of credits - but have many ships that serve different purposes. (find it easier to have specialized ship close to objective then refit and travel all the time.

T9 Transporter - Power Play Merits Runs
T9 Mining build - overlapping painite spots
Python Mining build - core mining Void Opals
Python rescue build - saving folks from burning stations
DiamondBack Explorer - most used ship - mostly short exploration / material gathering
Asp Explorer - small transport ship with big range
Asp Scout (original short range explorer)
Krait Mk2 - multipurpose ship
Vulture - engineering it for fun - bounty hunter build
Viper Mk 3 - my original bounty hunter build - used for RES
Eagle MK 2 - fun little fighter
Imperial Eagle - also fun little fighter
Sidewinder - everyone should have one
Keelback - used it as stepping up mining ship
Hauler - cheap taxi ship, have few in couple of systems

Once a week I would get a new ship and gear it for some purpose and try it. Still have many ships to get. (some you have to unlock)
Old 14 May 2019, 20:48   #23
Dunny

I used to play EVE a fair bit back in the day. It was... ok, but no Elite. Basically in Eve you tell ships where to go and what to do. In Elite, you pilot them.
Old 23 May 2019, 09:42   #24
Leffmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Never played EVE Online, so can't tell difference, but Elite Dangerous is very enjoyable and you can make it what you like... it is rarely I do the same task twice in week. From obvious exploring to faction/power fights to (antity) pirating, upgrading ship (engineering or unlocking guardian technology)... just huge amount of stuff.

As for enjoying the game your own way - neither I have ships that are billion of credits - but have many ships that serve different purposes. (find it easier to have specialized ship close to objective then refit and travel all the time.

Once a week I would get a new ship and gear it for some purpose and try it. Still have many ships to get. (some you have to unlock)
I think I'll give ED one more try when it's on sale, it seems more single-player friendly.

My biggest gripe with EVE is this forced multiplayer aspect, where you have to team up with others to fight the tedium and get the most out of the game, and even when doing solo activities, other players can always engage your ship, so you always have to keep looking over your shoulder, keep an eye on who's entering your local space and be ready to warp out.
Old 23 May 2019, 10:08   #25
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I hate it when you never have a moment's peace in a game. A multiplayer experience is only as good as other players allow it to be. There need to be predefined moments where they get locked up in a box to irritate themselves for a while so you can compose yourself.
Old 23 May 2019, 10:21   #26
Daedalus

Yep, while ED is always online and you share the universe with all other players, it does have a "solo" mode where you'll never meet anyone else. I've mostly played in open play, but as with any online game, you're gonna get the odd d1ck whose sole intention is to ruin your gaming experience, and sometimes the solo mode is the way to go.
Old 23 May 2019, 11:39   #27
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Solo or private group play are both worth checking.

New newbie zone was created to prevent picking on new players, but imho it was not needed as long as you have solo or private group option.
Old 23 May 2019, 11:55   #28
Dunny

I play solo exclusively. I was torn on release - it had been sold to me on the basis that it would be possible to play offline, but when it arrived it was online only. If it weren't for solo mode I'd never have bought it.
Old 23 May 2019, 13:55   #29
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
I play solo exclusively. I was torn on release - it had been sold to me on the basis that it would be possible to play offline, but when it arrived it was online only. If it weren't for solo mode I'd never have bought it.
Same here...
Old 23 May 2019, 16:31   #30
phx
Natteravn

I bought the first x86 PC with Windows in my whole life, three years ago, just for Elite Dangerous.

I really don't like online games that much, especially if you are forced to be online for no good reason. But in ED I never played anything else than "Open", together with all the other players.

In Solo mode the game would be quite boring. I would miss the thrill, that anything can happen, when you meet other players. You must always be prepared for the worst, when you enter a system. Sure, there may be a**holes in the game, which destroy your ship for fun - same as in real life.
Old 23 May 2019, 19:09   #31
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Now I have to wonder, now that you have the PC do you play other stuff on it? It'd be extreme dedication if you play only Elite
Old 23 May 2019, 21:25   #32
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Now I have to wonder, now that you have the PC do you play other stuff on it?
Sure. There are some more games now, but I use it for nothing else than gaming (and perhaps for surfing and watching YT-videos).