English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 08 May 2019, 11:21   #21
Daedalus

Yeah, it was pretty dark, but the detail was there if you were able to view it. Unfortunately, having watched all previous series on Blu-Ray, my wife decided to give Now TV a go for the final one... and the stream is so over-compressed you could see where the dark detail was simply dropped for the sake of saving bandwidth, giving a perceptible line around certain areas beyond which it was simply black. Audio quality is atrocious too, sounding like a poorly encoded MP3 from the '90s. I suspect a lot of people's complaints about the dark are due to over-compressed video and displays that simply can't show that detail. I'll definitely pick it up on Blu-Ray later in the year to re-watch it anyway.
Old 08 May 2019, 11:32   #22
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I mean it's a given that the Hound and the Mountain are going to be duking it out, it could not have been laid out any thicker when he said "I have unfinished business". It's mustard after the meal at this point.

And Arya the ninja assassin still has her unfinished list so it's very clear what she is going to do next.
Old 08 May 2019, 13:09   #23
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Yeah, it was pretty dark, but the detail was there if you were able to view it. Unfortunately, having watched all previous series on Blu-Ray, my wife decided to give Now TV a go for the final one... and the stream is so over-compressed you could see where the dark detail was simply dropped for the sake of saving bandwidth, giving a perceptible line around certain areas beyond which it was simply black.
I read that all over the internet, yes the episode was massively compressed:

Quote:
Video compression coupled with stream quality appears to be the reason behind why some fans reported dark feeds.

Bandwith is key here, and Amazon Prime Video reportedly has the highest bandwith rate of around 10MBps.

This is in comparison to HBO Now and HBO Go’s reported 5Mbps.
First I had the HBO RIP but afterward ended up downloading the Amazon RIP which was slightly better.

Also adjusting your TV settings helped alot
Old 08 May 2019, 17:03   #24
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

The camera man screwed the lights and in general they used wrong stylistic methods. Too many hectic cuts, hand cameras and wrong framing. Just check the awful filmed Dragonfight scenes with this close-ups.

They tried to do blockbuster cinema and obviously hadn't any clue how to do that properly (and enough money). It has nothing to do with the compression. The untouched Amazon HD stream, which is the best quality for now, still has the same problems. And it surely doesn't have anything to do with a wrong TV settings. Just a lame excuse. Look older battles scenes in darkness like in the episode "The Battle of Blackwater" and you see why.

I'll watch a 4K Web/UHD version with proper HDR again (if they don't screw that too). But for now it's nearly unwatchable.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 08 May 2019 at 17:15.
Old 08 May 2019, 19:00   #25
Daedalus

I'm not denying it was very dark, but there are two key things here: The detail was simply missing entirely from the stream in my case (and many others it seems), and many LCD-based TVs (especially cheaper ones) struggle to show that sort of dark detail. I guess they could be catering for the lowest common denominator and brightening everything up so that even the crappiest LCD can show it, but then what reason do people like myself have for investing in better equipment? We might as well still be watching 576i analogue transmissions on a 14 inch display.

Aside from anything else, I certainly won't be using Now TV (the only supplier other than Sky who offer the series here) again. The sound was so bad when I first started watching it that I spent 5 minutes trying to sort out my stereo, convinced my toddler had screwed it up. But, alas, it was only stereo and sounded sub-100kbit, so it couldn't be fixed.
Old 08 May 2019, 20:41   #26
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I agree, the original HBO/Sky airing was awful. Blurred and compressed to death, audio too. All their portable streams were even worse. Amazon HD was Ok enough, but it doesn't help the episode in this state anyway.
Old 14 May 2019, 10:25   #27
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

So GOT episode 5...

Yet again. 8 seasons of build up. EIGHT - SEASONS. One episode. Woosh. Gone. We're in the endgame now people. Who will defeat Thanos and take the Iron Throne?
Old 14 May 2019, 10:34   #28
Ian
Global Moderator

They haven't handled it great. And how come they thought someone dying with someone they loved was a fitting end I'll never know.

Comeuppance was NEEDED there.
Old 14 May 2019, 13:07   #29
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Meh, that I find acceptable actually. They went out as they went in. Yay for vague spoiler-free statements
Old 14 May 2019, 16:07   #30
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Horribly written and character destroying episode. Everbody remembers how they destroyed Dexter years ago? Pretty much the same stupid shit.

Let's face it. Everthing after GoT season 5 wasn't good because there were no books anymore. And George R.R. Martin obviously wasn't a great help for better scripts since season 6.
Old 14 May 2019, 19:13   #31
theq

You can easily see that George R.R. Martin has nothing much to do with the last 2-3 seasons.
The jokes are shallow and the plot is paper thin. Heck, traveling from one place to the other took several episodes in the earlier seasons. In season 7, all it took was changing scenes.

Seems like they are in a hurry to finish it all off.
Old 14 May 2019, 19:18   #32
Ian
Global Moderator

I'm so disappointed in the end of the show, that I am even thinking about buying the last books when they come out to see how it should've ended.
Old 14 May 2019, 23:57   #33
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Horribly written and character destroying episode. Everbody remembers how they destroyed Dexter years ago? Pretty much the same stupid shit.
Yeah or the other HBO wonder called the Sopranos (which is getting a prequel movie apparently). Season 6 was the same kind of bullshit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I'm so disappointed in the end of the show, that I am even thinking about buying the last books when they come out to see how it should've ended.
I wasn't actually going to because the last book was already a big disappointment to me. But I guess now the remaining books are worth a shot. The dude knows what not to do.

Not that I really expect those books to ever see the light of day at this point.
Old 15 May 2019, 17:30   #34
theq

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Not that I really expect those books to ever see the light of day at this point.
He said something in the lines of being addicted to playing online MMO's was the main reason he cba writing more books. Hopefully he is playing WOW and seeing BFA being such a disappointment there might be hope still.
Old 17 May 2019, 13:08   #35
theq

Someone even started a change.org campaign to get season 8 redone.
At the time of writing almost 780,000 people have signed...

Last edited by theq; 17 May 2019 at 13:09. Reason: Borked the link
Old 17 May 2019, 14:27   #36
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

This amused me quite a lot.

[ Show youtube player ]

Right near the end there, it is passed off as if he's cracking a joke... but is he really!?
Old 21 May 2019, 10:09   #37
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

So yeah, GoT is now finished. Finito. Done. And I'm done with it, I don't care what kind of spin-offs are going to be made, I'm letting them be.

The final episode was pretty anti-climactic. I am pretty satisfied where all the surviving characters ended up, but you know. I will never be able to get over the fact that the last three episodes could have easily spanned two seasons of their own. You just get brief flashes of a storyline rather than the storyline.

Good, It's over. Now to watch about 30 youtube videos about the last episode and then the book can be closed on it.
Old 21 May 2019, 13:33   #38
Ian
Global Moderator

I'm up for HBO redoing it when RR Martin releases the books and they actually have content to flesh out the story.

Watching the final season was like watch a powerpoint presentation with the bullet points provided by Martin.

OK, so she goes full mad queen, check.

How we going to do it, erm, lets have her sit on a dragon, think about it for a minute then just start killing innocent people indiscriminately, without any real justification.

Yeah, Cersei cut your friends head off, I tell you what blondie, why not just fly to where you know she is and burn the bitch to a crisp and have done with it.