English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General > Coders. Tutorials

Old 18 January 2009, 19:09   #1
Controller

Danish Amiga Assembly Programming Course

Hi, all

Carsten Nordenhof, a former Danish Amiga enthusiast wrote back in 1989 a 12-part purchasable programming course in 68k assembly on the Amiga for Dataskolen, a total of 253 pages (including covers). He also wrote a 75-page vector graphics programming course.

Both courses have now been converted to PDF via OCR and all code example disks have been recovered and has been released to public domain by Laust Palbo Nielsen on this page:

http://www.palbo.dk/dataskolen/maskinsprog/

The assembly programming course has a few damaged parts, as some pages in the 9th, 10th and 11th part could not be completely recovered. (A mail with correction have been sent to Laust)

Since this course is in Danish, it may not have much interest for English speaking users, unless a translation can be arranged.

In fact a English version was also made. But Carsten Nordenhof no longer has any of the material.

A course in C programming for the Amiga was also written. Please get in touch if you have this. We are several people that would like to have a copy of this.

Kind regards
Controller
Old 18 January 2009, 20:47   #2
redblade
Zone Friend

hmm A secondary reason to learn a scandinavian language, the primarily to score scandinavian chicks.

Although the swedish chicks at the backpackers were over rated, either slightly fat, or not good looking as all the guys used to rant about.
Old 25 January 2009, 00:04   #3
Controller

You could always try to translate it with google: http://translate.google.com/translat...istory_state0=
Old 25 January 2009, 09:52   #4
BippyM
Global Moderator

This is cool and google does a half-assed-ok job of converting to English. Naturally it does fall over in some area's but it seems common sense should help overcome most of it
Old 25 January 2009, 17:47   #5
Leffmann

Bit of a difference from what you would expect from Babelfish perfectly readable in my opinion, and with 253+75 pages and examples this is probably one of the more complete freely available courses.
Old 07 August 2009, 11:15   #6
DrSunglasses

Excellent... hopefully this will help me keep up with my Danish as well!

Old 07 August 2009, 11:44   #7
Asman

Nice course.

Offtopic a bit.
All courses begins with the same way. Someting about binary system, decimal, hex. It's so boring for me. In my opinion the best way is start from example ( with hidden assumption that someone can compile this example ).

Lesson 1:
Code:
lmb: 
 btst #6,$bfe001
 bne lmb
 rts
regards
Old 07 August 2009, 12:44   #8
pmc
gone

@ Asman - personally I agree. The way I learned anything about asm was to just try coding stuff that I wanted to code. Much more interesting than coding the kind of dull example programs you find in books about the 68000.

Wish I could read Danish. With my current coding projects it'd come in well handy to be able to read the vector graphics tutorial for extra info.
Old 07 August 2009, 12:44   #9
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asman View Post
Offtopic a bit.
All courses begins with the same way. Someting about binary system, decimal, hex. It's so boring for me.
While it surely is boring it still is essential knowledge. So it should be covered in an asm course as you're going to work a lot with these numbering systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asman View Post
In my opinion the best way is start from example ( with hidden assumption that someone can compile this example ).

Lesson 1:
Code:
lmb: 
 btst #6,$bfe001
 bne lmb
 rts
If that would be the first I see in an ASM course (assuming I have no programming knowledge whatsoever) I'd be like "wtf is that $bfe001?!?!". So, you see, we're back to the numbering systems. Recursion FTW. ;D
Old 07 August 2009, 13:04   #10
Asman

Of course you're right, there is always a questions like wtf is that $bfe001. I think that first question will be wtf this example mean and what it doing ? . But in my opinion ask questions is very important, coz mean that someone trying to learn not to read some text about binary stuff . There is many "same" books about learning asm. I thought about more creative course. So maybe better approach willbe a small example + questions + answers + exercises with answers. Any comments welcome.
Old 07 August 2009, 13:11   #11
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Don't worry, I perfectly understand what you mean. I just wanted to point out that covering these "boring" topics is necessary too. Of course asking questions and trying things is much more useful than just reading a "dry" course, I totally agree on that. After all, it should be fun in the first place and learning about hex/dec/binary conversions and stuff is not what I consider fun. =)
Old 07 August 2009, 13:15   #12
Asman

@pmc - Agree with you. its so boring examples like "And now something completly different, dear children we add two values and show result in d0."
Old 07 August 2009, 14:04   #13
kriz

Hey cool, takk

I can read Danish
Old 09 August 2009, 14:43   #14
Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz View Post
Hey cool, takk

I can read Danish
Norwegian and Danish is quite simular. Infact I rember that the Amiga Databecker books were sold in Denmark in a Danish/Norwegian translation. I still have one on Assembly and one on C.
Old 16 April 2010, 05:44   #15
8bitbubsy

Thanks a lot! I'm Norwegian but I can understand most of it. I know C and barely assembly, so this guide should be readable for me
Old 16 April 2010, 15:59   #16
Amiga1992

I wish someone would translate it to english
Old 16 April 2010, 17:42   #17
fryguy

I can understand danish when reading. But spoken danish is just strange :P
Old 16 April 2010, 17:55   #18
BippyM
Global Moderator

I'd love to see a translation too
Old 21 April 2010, 23:10   #19
Controller

@the users asking for a translation to English

An English translation was made and sold in the UK. The author Carsten Nordenhof no longer have a copy of it but have granted permission to put it on on-line if anybody can find it. This also goes for the course in C.

So if anybody have any of these please let us know.

Kind regards
Controller
Old 16 July 2010, 12:34   #20
Herpes
... aka Amix73

Floppy disk

Hi guys!

I dared to make a translation of the 12 chapters of the Danish Amiga course. I used google translation and I really got mad about the results. Just to get a hint what I am talking about:

* So when the HEX has talked to 15 ($F) and adds 1, then begins Monday on a new group with 16-s

* Wait to DRIVING PROGRAM IS Floppy drive Stop ....

Okay, one can read it - maybe - but it's so annoying that I just rewrote the whole bunch of google translated crap into something which is not perfect but readable without getting a heart attack. It was really a tedious and sometime boring job because it's a lot of material and the first chapters were not that interesting - already read stuff like that a couple of times. Anyway I started in fall 2009 and now I found the time to finish it.

So if it is OK for the mighty mods - I include the course here since I have no space to upload it elsewhere. If this is a problem, I will of course remove it as you wish.

I think this course is really OK and a very nice start - so give it a try and please enjoy it and maybe post some results of your newly acquired assembly language skills.

Regards, HPS
Attached Files
File Type: rar Danish_Assembly_Course_ENG_transl.rar (1.63 MB, 582 views)