English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 25 October 2010, 13:27   #1
MarkONE

Send a message via ICQ to MarkONE
Details for the next generation of Flickerfixers from Individual Computers

In a speach at the Amiwest2010, Jens Schoenefeld announced that the next generation of flickerfixer (scan doubler) for the A1200 and A400 will have a DVI port and will use DDR- instead of SD Ram.

Source: Amiganews
Old 25 October 2010, 14:29   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I wonder if it will be a DVI-D port or a DVI-A port?

It would have to be a D, wouldn't it?

The DDR thing is probably just because it is cheaper than SDR and the FPGA can do it. Possibly because it could potentially use fewer pins. Probably not an end user feature.
Old 25 October 2010, 14:52   #3
korruptor
TDI

Any dates?
Old 25 October 2010, 17:11   #4
Paul_s

Still under development according to Jen's website...

Price is set at 149,90€
Old 26 October 2010, 21:27   #5
korruptor
TDI

Gah, I'm gagging to get onto a decent monitor...

Cheers
Old 30 October 2010, 23:39   #6
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I wonder if it will be a DVI-D port or a DVI-A port?
It'll be DVI-I, because I want this thing to work on both digital flat screens and analog CRTs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
The DDR thing is probably just because it is cheaper than SDR and the FPGA can do it. Possibly because it could potentially use fewer pins. Probably not an end user feature.
It's both fewer pins and higher speed. A 200MHz DDR chip is easy to come by, but the 200MHz SD-Rams that I'm using on Chameleon and the A1200 accelerators are *very* rare.

Jens
Old 31 October 2010, 00:59   #7
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Now it's when I discover why I should have left more threads and posts here. Yesterday (7 months after I bought my first Amiga) I discovered some people weren't at A-org (and why). (I will stay there still, of course).

Today I have just left a Thread here (and A-org) of WTB an Indivision Aga: I will tell I'm waiting for it for several months (they were supossed to be for sale on september) and when I knew Individual Computers were into the new accelerators, I thought the new Indivisions for A1200 won't be for sale till around June.

One simple question: Must I wait for the new ones or must I go for a second hand one?

EDIT: Well, I have to add I'll be buying one of the new accelerators when they'll be for sale too.

Last edited by Retrofan; 20 November 2010 at 15:38.
Old 31 October 2010, 01:44   #8
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

Amigakit tell me that they expect another batch of Indivision AGA cards in before Christmas.
Old 31 October 2010, 01:57   #9
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Good, good, good to know. I will delete my WTB then, but please can any other confirm please?

Last edited by Retrofan; 20 November 2010 at 15:37.
Old 31 October 2010, 11:53   #10
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

Jens, I don't know if you've thought about this, and if its something that can be easily implemented, but what would be really nice in the next gen Indivisions for A1200 is a pass through for BVision GFX cards with auto switching between AGA and the BVisions RTG (dependant on which is active) out to one DVI-I connector. What do you think?
Old 31 October 2010, 13:08   #11
Schoenfeld
electricky.

I've thought about it, and decided not to do it. Reason is that it would take too much explaining and it would only work for certain configurations.

If you have a DVI-connected screen, then you'd expect to get the Cybervision signal through that channel as well. This would require me to make a A-D conversion for the Cybervision signal on Indivision AGA - that's very expensive and it would still be the same (if not worse) quality.

Switching the signal would only work for analog, but then the benefit of DVI is gone. However, if you have a DVI flatscreen, you have two inputs anyway (one analog VGA and a digital DVI). What's so bad about selecting the source on the monitor?

What we could do (and this is actually the plan for the next updates of all Indivision cores) is that we provide a common API for all Indivision models that lets external software switch off the Sync signals, so an external monitor switch or the monitor itself can do an automatic selection. I'm assuming that DVI takes precedence over VGA on any modern flat screen, so this will provide the functionality that you're looking for.

Jens
Old 31 October 2010, 22:03   #12
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

Thanks for the explanation Jens. I'm just anal and like the idea of having everything out of one connection
Old 01 November 2010, 01:45   #13
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

So I may understand that they still have a long way to go before we can see them? The Indivision boards are the replacements for Lisa and Denise in the Clone-A. Are they the most difficult progress to get the Clone-A project on it's way at this time?

Last edited by Retrofan; 01 November 2010 at 01:54.
Old 01 November 2010, 01:56   #14
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
The Indivision boards are the replacements for Lisa and Denise in the Clone-A.
No, they are not. Only Indivision ECS contains a Denise. Indivision AGA does not contain a Lisa. The products are substantially different.

Quote:
Are they the most difficult progress to get the Clone-A project on it's way?
Clone-A development on the Amiga/Chipset side has been finished years ago. We're on the user interface, which is a ground breaking concept in FPGA computers. Don't pry, you won't get any more out of us ;-)

Jens
Old 01 November 2010, 02:30   #15
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Let me introduce myself: I'm an spanish guy that had a Commodore 64 as a dream to have around 27 years ago (I'm 41), and that had to stay with a 48k Spectrum. I bought a broken C64 last year as a replacement for my PC keyboard using the Keirah card, but I began to search in Google and started to search in english how to repair it, and I did. After some months I discovered the Amiga, which I never had. I have been only since march making progress with it (and my english). I've installed an internal Cd drive, 3 Cf configurations in different and large HD, modified standard PSU, Subway and a B1260. I don't have much time here, but the longer I stay, the more I love the Amiga scene.

I only tell all this to let you know it's a pleasure to know someone who is making so much for this great experience that the Amiga gives.

But... about the people like me that is waiting (won't ask for the Clone-A, and sorry for my knowledges about it, all I know is what I read) for so long time... How do the new Indivisions are going? They are now stopped for the accelerators, aren't they?

Thanks, and a pleasure.

Last edited by Retrofan; 01 November 2010 at 11:59.
Old 01 November 2010, 03:03   #16
kipper2k

Quote:
Now it's when I discover why I should have left more threads and posts here. Yesterday (7 months after I bought my first Amiga) I discovered some people weren't at A-org (and why). (I will stay there still, of course).

Today I have just left a Thread here (and A-org) of WTB an Indivision Aga: I will tell I'm waiting for it for several months (they were supossed to be for sale on september) and when I knew Individual Computers were into the new accelerators, I thought the new Indivisions for A1200 won't be for sale till around June.

One simple question: Must I wait for the new ones or must I go for a second hand one (if any want to give his opinion)?

EDIT: Well, I have to add I'll be buying one of the new accelerators when they'll be for sale too.
I have 3 of the A1200 indivision boards, i'll sell one to you but only for my cost which would be the cost of what i paid at Amigakit plus $40 customs and the shipping costs.
Old 01 November 2010, 11:24   #17
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Ok, PM sent.
Old 01 November 2010, 13:02   #18
frank_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
No, they are not. Only Indivision ECS contains a Denise. Indivision AGA does not contain a Lisa. The products are substantially different.

Clone-A development on the Amiga/Chipset side has been finished years ago. We're on the user interface, which is a ground breaking concept in FPGA computers. Don't pry, you won't get any more out of us ;-)

Jens
New Amiga with new features and you'll have my cash for sure. Good luck
Old 01 November 2010, 13:46   #19
MarkONE

Send a message via ICQ to MarkONE
A new "oldworld" amiga would be cool indeed!
Old 02 November 2010, 08:57   #20
Fabie
Banned

I hope the new flickerfixer for the A1200 will be smaller in size and left space to connect the hardisk otherwise I will not purchase it

also I don't like the indivision startup screen...there is a delay and I don't like it.
that startup screen must be removed