English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 15 December 2014, 21:31   #1
cercamon

Creating drawers on HD-based system KS1.3 and WB1.3

Hello all. I built an Amiga 500 HD-based system with KS 1.3 and Workbench 1.3 under FS-UAE. All is working fine except for the problem that when I create new drawers (directories) on the HD and I close the main window and reopen it, the new drawers are not there anymore. I tried snapshot, I checked the .info files and other parameters. Every new drawer that I create can be seen and used via AmigaShell with no issues. I also tried to change kickstart 1.3 or re-install everything with a new set of ADF WB and KS ROM but nothing seems to solve this issue. It only happens with KS1.3 and WB1.3. Other virtual Amigas I created (A1200, A4000) don't seem to suffer the same problem. Any ideas?

I’m using Lubuntu 12.04 and the latest version of FS-UAE.
Thanks.

Old 15 December 2014, 23:24   #2
thomas

Delete the file which is called just '.info" without a prefix. It's a kind of directory cache, but is not updated if using a host directory as harddrive.
Old 17 December 2014, 12:51   #3
cercamon

Great! Thank you very much, thomas. It worked! Solved, then.
Old 17 December 2014, 15:32   #4
redblade
Zone Friend

Thanks Thomas.

I was always wondering what that .info file was when ever I did directory scans. How did you find that out?
Old 17 December 2014, 16:09   #5
thomas

I don't remember. This must have been one of my first discoveries when I started using my A500 with Kick 1.2 more than 20 years ago.
Old 22 December 2014, 15:53   #6
cercamon

Same for me, one of the first things I learned when exploring CLI interface on my A500 back in 1987. And I confirm that the .info files doesn't get updated on a directory hosted hard drive. Everytime you create a new drawer the file must be deleted to update the contents of the window.
Old 25 December 2014, 22:07   #7
mark_k

I wonder if the .info problem shows up a deficiency in FS-UAE? Testing with WinUAE (on Linux/Wine) I didn't see a similar problem.

I assume Workbench 1.x uses the .info file to speed up reading icons, otherwise WB would have to scan the entire directory every time a drawer is opened. It saves a list of icon names to the .info file. Next time, if the directory datestamp hasn't changed, it uses the names in the .info file isntead of re-reading the whole directory. (If the directory datestamp has changed, WB knows to re-read the directory and update the .info file, instead of relying on the existing .info file.)
Old 26 December 2014, 00:18   #8
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k View Post
I wonder if the .info problem shows up a deficiency in FS-UAE? Testing with WinUAE (on Linux/Wine) I didn't see a similar problem.
It does indeed look like an FS-UAE problem, and I have find the likely culprit: A workaround for netplay/deterministic mode, which should only be enabled when using netplay/deterministic mode, but which was always enabled :-/

I'll test some more and fix it