English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 June 2016, 17:54   #1
AmigaJules

CF won't boot A1200 - best path forward?

I used fitzsteve's [ Show youtube player ] to setup a 1 GB CF card via WinUAE for use in my A1200 (excellent easy to follow tutorial, BTW).

I partitioned the disk using HDtoolbox on the original WB 3.1 floppy. It gave me the error type 7 mentioned in this thread but otherwise allowed me to proceed with partitioning, setting max transfer, etc.

After installing CWB in Win UAE, I moved the card to my A1200 and it won't boot. Though I do see the activity light flashing on the CF adapter as mentioned in the thread above.

After reading a few threads in the board, I _think_ I have to use the patched hdtoolbox instead of the original?

What's the best path forward so I don't have to re-do all of the work?

Make a backup of the CF using WinUAE, then re-partition the CF using patched HDtoolbox, then restore the CF backup?

I can't just modify the partition using the patched HDtoolbox without it destroying the data already installed, right?

Any insight is appreciated! I'm new to the Amiga.
Old 27 June 2016, 19:29   #2
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@AmigaJules

At this point my friend, we need to start with the basics, especially if this is your first time setting up a >4GB Hard Disk Device.

Firstly we need to ensure that the Compact Flash Card is compatible with the Amiga IDE as some cards are firmware flashed as removable - which the Amiga IDE (in its native state) cannot use.

What kind of CF card do you have?

When booting your Amiga can you go into the early start menu and see any HDD/CF partition(s) available to boot from?

From your description its quite likely setpatch scsirom update is not being done in the start up, but let start from the beginning =).
Old 27 June 2016, 19:58   #3
thomas

With a 1 GB card you can hardly run into >4GB problems, can you?
Old 27 June 2016, 20:39   #4
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Thomas

My apologies, I missed the size in the OP -

In that regard its looking more like and incompatibility - early boot menu should help resolve if it is that issue.
Old 27 June 2016, 23:27   #5
AmigaJules

The CF card is a SanDisk. I also have a Kingston, but I got some errors while copying files with DirOpus onto it, so it's suspect.

I can see DH0 & DH1 which are on my CF in the early boot menu.

DH0 is enabled, priority 0, ADOS, scsi-0

If I select DH0 from the Select Boot Device menu and click Use and then Boot, I get the same results as if I attempt a "normal" boot:

CF adapter activity LED flashes a bit, some floppy drive clicks, brief white flash on the screen, more activity LED, black/blank screen, activity LED settles down and then... nothing

This is a stock A1200HD NTSC model with an Svideo mod, but no accelerator, RAM, or clock.

No issues booting the CF card in WinUAE connected to CF card reader in Windows 7.

I made a copy of WB3.1 and swapped out the original HDtoolbox for HDToolbox_CF - using that disk I did not get the error 7 and HDtoolbox recognized CF manufacturer, etc when I read the drive configuration. I created 2 volumes as I did the first time and formatted them, then proceeded to copy the System onto the CF per the tutorial.
Old 27 June 2016, 23:38   #6
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

If its an NTSC Amiga, do you have the NTSC monitor in DEVS?

you will need NTSC and DBLNTSC monitor drivers - its possible the system is booting buy cannot show the screen as its in PAL (50Hz) as opposed to NTSC (60Hz)
Old 27 June 2016, 23:39   #7
thomas

Did the card boot on the Amiga before you removed it for the first time, before you installed ClassicWB on it?

Is the card still seen in HDToolbox on the Amiga, not in WinUAE?

Can you format the card on the Amiga? Does the card boot after you formatted it?

Does the card boot into Workbench if you copy all files from the Workbench disk to the boot partition? df0:c/copy df0: dh0: all clone
Old 28 June 2016, 00:58   #8
AmigaJules

/Devs/Monitors had NTSC & PAL, I used WinUAE to copy DBLNTSC from /Storage/Monitors and it didn't make a difference after putting it back into the Amiga.

I'll try thomas' suggestions/tests and report back.

Thank you both for the help.
Old 28 June 2016, 01:24   #9
AmigaJules

Thomas,

The tutorial I followed had me partition & format the disk/volumes on the amiga, then move the CF to a card reader and do the rest under WinUAE - so I never tested an initial boot.

The card is seen in HDToolbox on the Amiga.

I have a 128MB, 512MB, 1GB Kingston CF and a 1GB SanDisk CF < this one has the customized ClassicWB that I'd like to eventually boot on the real hardware.

I tested with the 128MB & 1GB Kingston with partitioning, formatting, and using your command line to copy the Workbench files to the CF and they both boot just fine on the Amiga.

I suppose next step is to try it on the SanDisk...
Old 28 June 2016, 03:28   #10
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
you will need NTSC and DBLNTSC monitor drivers - its possible the system is booting buy cannot show the screen as its in PAL (50Hz) as opposed to NTSC (60Hz)
Definitely not DBLNTSC. That's a VGA mode.

Having a monitor driver in DEVS:Monitors or not also doesn't help a bit if your screenmode.prefs is set up for an incompatible mode.
Old 28 June 2016, 07:22   #11
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaJules View Post
I suppose next step is to try it on the SanDisk...
If you can still boot from floppy disk while the SanDisk card is connected, that's a big step forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaJules View Post
If I select DH0 from the Select Boot Device menu and click Use and then Boot, I get the same results as if I attempt a "normal" boot:
What if you click on Boot without Startup-seqence instead? Does it boot to the DOS prompt?

If both works, it means that the hardware and partitioning is ok and the problem is caused by ClassicWB.
Old 28 June 2016, 14:55   #12
AmigaJules

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Definitely not DBLNTSC. That's a VGA mode.

Having a monitor driver in DEVS:Monitors or not also doesn't help a bit if your screenmode.prefs is set up for an incompatible mode.
Success!!!

It never occurred to me that CWB was setup for PAL by default. I'm also enough of a noob to not realize you can't just drop a driver (is it a driver?) in /Devs without also telling the system to use it.

I set the prefs to NTSC, saved, moved the CF to the Amiga and it booted to the workbench.

Thanks for the support, everyone.

This might be a question for another thread, but does anyone happen to know the highest resolution mode I can use with this svideo mod?
Old 28 June 2016, 15:07   #13
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

No worries AmigaJules

Glad we could help =)
Old 28 June 2016, 15:46   #14
idrougge

Highest resolution is superhires interlace.