English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 08 September 2006, 00:16   #1
DanE

A1200 Random crashes

Hello all,

Im now a proud member of the Amiga 1200 family but am experiencing a few problems ,

I have an Amiga 1200 3.0 roms fitted with a DCE TYPHOON MKII ACCELERATOR BOARDwith 16mb of ram, a 3.5inch hardrive housed internally with a power splitter on the floppy powering both floppy and harddrive and am using an A500 psu,

I havent been able to instal workbench yet because when i load the install disk workbench seems to crash at different points, sometimes it might freeze during the installation or sometimes just moving the mouse accross the screen.

I have removed the jumper from the accelerator to disable it to see if that makes any difference and i havent had any crashes yet BUT just this second while i was installing workbench my mouse cursor has dissappeared but i am still able to click on things??

Could this be that my psu is not powerfull enough??

Please help

UPDATE

I have enabled the accelerator and the random crashes seemed to have stopped, The only think that i am not doing now is using the floppy drive, I managed to install workbench when the accelerator was switched off and havent used the floppy at all. I think that the floppy is taking away too much power from the HD causing the amiga to crash.

Last edited by DanE; 08 September 2006 at 00:40.
Old 08 September 2006, 02:17   #2
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Accelerators usually requires more power. Sometimes an a500 psu should work, but few times ram consumes and drain a lot of power so i would equip that Amiga with an AT-pc power supply or either an ATX-pc power supply, then you will have plenty of power.
Old 08 September 2006, 12:39   #3
ikorodu

I have the same set up as you EXCEPT i have an internal 4 gig HD (2.5 inches). I have not experienced any crashed with usiing the floppy and HD at the same time, so I guess your 3.5 inch HD is drawing too much power.

I'm planning on fitting an internal cd drive so I too may need an upgraded PSU soon.

ikorodu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanE
Hello all,

Im now a proud member of the Amiga 1200 family but am experiencing a few problems ,

I have an Amiga 1200 3.0 roms fitted with a DCE TYPHOON MKII ACCELERATOR BOARDwith 16mb of ram, a 3.5inch hardrive housed internally with a power splitter on the floppy powering both floppy and harddrive and am using an A500 psu,

I havent been able to instal workbench yet because when i load the install disk workbench seems to crash at different points, sometimes it might freeze during the installation or sometimes just moving the mouse accross the screen.

I have removed the jumper from the accelerator to disable it to see if that makes any difference and i havent had any crashes yet BUT just this second while i was installing workbench my mouse cursor has dissappeared but i am still able to click on things??

Please help

UPDATE

I have enabled the accelerator and the random crashes seemed to have stopped, The only think that i am not doing now is using the floppy drive, I managed to install workbench when the accelerator was switched off and havent used the floppy at all. I think that the floppy is taking away too much power from the HD causing the amiga to crash.
Old 10 September 2006, 18:09   #4
DanE

Im been away over the weekend just got back and its crashing again.

It seemed to be fine for 30 minutes, Ive still not used the floppy yet so it cant be that. I was just typing something in shell when the power light flashed and the amiga rebooted to a guru error and then again i was opening a file and this time the amiga froze and i had to force a reboot.

Its just reset again about 3 times in a row. each time bringing up a guru error, the task number is the same 1800 7832 can i get any info from this? and after the guru error went away the amiga rebooted to workbench but the screen just said workbench at the top, No folders or anything and when i click the mouse button the mouse cursor appears and i can move it. I have rebooted myselfe now and its loaded workbench ok this time.

Weird

Last edited by DanE; 10 September 2006 at 18:15.
Old 10 September 2006, 20:11   #5
jaycee

Save yourself a lot of grief, and get hold of a PC power supply, an old 200W AT model will do. Wire this up to your amiga, and you'll never have to worry about a power shortage again.
Old 10 September 2006, 20:57   #6
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

Could the accelerator clashing with the mobo revision. I remember my Magum 1230 was a swine with the A1200 I used it in, but worked a treat in my mates A1200. Later when I upgraded to a Blizzard 1260 it worked fine with no problems....

If you're having trouble typing or clicking the mouse - could also be a wanky CIA?
Old 10 September 2006, 22:03   #7
adgloride
Amiga Mod Chipper

Are you using the accelerator with the A1200 trap door off? Mine always used to crash when I left it on after a few minutes.
Old 11 September 2006, 09:04   #8
CFou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanE
Hello all,

Please help

UPDATE

can you test your memory?

I had similar crash with bad memories, i had changed it and now it works fine....

it's can be a problem of memory speed (have you verify memory speed jumper on your board?
Old 11 September 2006, 09:26   #9
DanE

How can i find out if its a problem with my mobo version and how do i test the memory and set the memory speed.??

On the accelerator ive got 4 jumpers.

1 - turbo on/off and ive got a jumper on that one
2 - ram refresh 2k/4k
3 - 32/64 mb
4 - scsi termination on/off

Ive just checked another guru number that ive got on this website http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/guruguide.html and next to the number it says - Corrupted Memory List.

What does this mean?

Update

It seems to work ok for about the 1st 30 mins and after that the random crashes start.

Update 2

Ive just got up and have started testing the amiga by removing certain parts and then testing,
I have removed the 16mb ram from the accelerator and now when i try and load settlers from the harddrive the amiga crashes everytime, i have just put the memory back in and settlers loads 1st time??????, Just ran civilization for about 10 minutes with the ram out, all ok and then i exited civ to dos loaded settlers and it works ok, yet before it crashed everytime.??

Also with the ram removed when i insert my pcmcia cf adapter its says cf0:ndos and when the ram is in it works fine????

Update 3

3.1 rom chip arrived today from amigakit, just installed it, still crashes with accelerator on, Ive had the accelerator disabled now for about 2 hours, not 1 single crash, Settlers still wont load i think it must have corrupted some of the file during a crash, So its definatley the accelerator, Could be draining 2 much power??, I got a 2.5 inch harddrive on its way so ill let you know how i get on.

Last edited by DanE; 12 September 2006 at 13:36.