English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 01 October 2010, 19:55   #21
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Is a N64 worth getting?

Given the ludicrously cheap prices they are fetching at the moment, I say why not?

@Lonewolf10: Turok 2 is the ONLY game my 13yo returns to the N64 for!

PZ.
Old 02 October 2010, 23:39   #22
Locash

Just to echo some of the chaps above, the PAL N64 has no RGB Scart out only nasty Composite. If you want a nice crisp RGB picture you will need to get yourself the US version, even then it will require a tiny bit of modding.

Certainly some good games on the hardware and on the plus side price of games is very low. If you get one see if you can find all the 'Rare' produced titles they put out some cracking software in what turned out to be their last Huzzah for Nintendo. Blast Corps (must have), Jet Force Gemini, Conkers Bad Fur Day (excellent game), Golden Eye, Perfect Dark and the Banjo Series.

Last edited by Locash; 02 October 2010 at 23:48.
Old 03 October 2010, 02:16   #23
PaulyQ

Quote:
but an old Xbox, soft modded is 10 times better...
Can't agree more:- MAME, N64, SNES, MegaDrive emulators, other emulators from arcades and home, plenty of excellent xbox games, media box for music and films etc...

One of the best consoles ever and I have owned a few of the old skool consoles and computers.
Old 03 October 2010, 02:24   #24
bLAZER
Awesome to the max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
Modern LCD TV's (especially large ones) make the real N64 graphics look like crap.

The games looked so much better on good old CRT TV's.
That's why using an emulator has some advantages, using different filters to dirty up the picture.
Old 03 October 2010, 12:45   #25
athiga
aka bigfoot catnap

i use emulation for conkers bad fur day and wouldnt bother bying one as its more clutter
Old 03 October 2010, 14:59   #26
rare_j
Zone Friend

Although there's no RGB on a PAL N64, S-Video cables are widely available.
S-Video gives a super crisp and sharp picture.
Old 03 October 2010, 18:18   #27
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

I'd have to say "no". I love my retro machines, but this is one platform that's aged terribly.

The picture output on PAL machines looks like the screen's been smeared with vasoline.
Old 03 October 2010, 18:38   #28
Fabie
Banned

if a nintendo 64 worth these days
the answer is simple....yes because some games not works on Project 64 or any other emulator....according to project64' rdb file I calculate about 15%
anothers games like "hey you, pikachu" requires special nintendo 64 hardware addons to run
also others games don't run perfect on emulators
anyways we have some luck and the best N64 games runs perfect on P64 or 1964
Old 03 October 2010, 19:10   #29
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by athiga View Post
i use emulation for conkers bad fur day
Should try the XBOX-1 version. It has been censored in a few places but it plays similar and looks much nicer.
Old 03 October 2010, 19:48   #30
Adropac2
Zone Friend

I like to think i wont get rid of my N64's.I had mine fitted with RGB output,though on a plasma it's all for nothing really- a crt and the difference is worth it if you love your real N64's

There are speed differences of course if you get the pal N64 but most people are fine with that - waverace and SM64 might change your mind if you see the two side by side - and of course pal games look a little nicer.An added bonus of some N64 pal games iv'e noticed is a reduction in areas of engine slow down- Star fox, Silicon Valley, Super Mario, Mario Kart all slow down at times while in NTSC and this is the very reason i play Mario 64 on emulator- pal version coming off playing how nippy Mario is on ntsc, makes it difficult to accept the pal version

The Borders may do your head in if using a pal machine unless it's a Rare game and their games also appear running at intended speed

I suggest trying the emulators first as they're mostly there.For Goldeneye - a game that even now is stunningly playable - you really have to own a real N64, and for as cheap as that will be to get, you honestly should

The Wii version of Goldeneye, they wont be using any of the Rare level design so it's going to be a whole new game but one that feels in keeping with the original and the film
Old 03 October 2010, 20:08   #31
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Personally I didn't think it was worth getting one back then. The N64 has one good game IMO.
Old 03 October 2010, 20:08   #32
Adropac2
Zone Friend

And just to mention

The pad is something people seem to have problems with being i guess it is a little different and not a Playstation.With that said, the analog - providing it is clean inside - is the most sensitive of all and detects more subtle range.If you learn to aim entirely via the analog stick in Goldeneye, you will notice a more gradual and subtle movement than that of the jerk required for shooters these days- and i love my Halo and Gears.Even Nintendo themselves bodged the analog for GC despite it being a nice enough pad otherwise

Coming from using a PS or Xbox pad today then yes i could see how people find the pad as awkward but if we're looking at purely it's analog, N64 to this day is still far more accurate to use

Unlike pads these days their inner workings did fill up with stuff after lots of use and that made them harder to use, but then that was simply down to how well you treated them.Thumbs are also prone to slipping off a lot at times but that can avoided
Old 03 October 2010, 20:09   #33
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
Personally I didn't think it was worth getting one back then. The N64 has one good game IMO.
I'm all for opinions but seriously?
Old 03 October 2010, 20:10   #34
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Yeah, seriously. I'm not being a dick and trying to start an argument or anything. I seriously think it's crap, and I do own one.
Old 03 October 2010, 20:23   #35
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Opinions are farily worthless then i reckon and we may as well all of us just shut up with them

In my opinion
Old 03 October 2010, 20:28   #36
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Just answering the OP's question my man
Old 03 October 2010, 20:40   #37
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Yup that's cool

People have different opinions no matter how daft we might think they are.The not likeing something bit is at least easy to understand
Old 03 October 2010, 20:44   #38
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

You don't have to tell me, some people don't like Gods!

Those 'opinions' shouldn't be allowed
Old 03 October 2010, 21:05   #39
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Yeah i know

Some opinions are just a preference thing and you can't rightfully argue this stuff but it's not all that is it.Not likeing stuff yeah that's cool, and even not likeing stuff that on a basis, is generally regarded as good, yes that's also up to a person to hate it or not

As a statement though that something is or isn't, then it's harder to take seriously.My opinion differs from yours that the N64 had some good games.One is closer to a type of truth though because while there is no simple right or wrong with theses types of things, it can still be a generally considered truth.My opinion that the red door is blue would be considered wrong for example

Based on a standard then , the N64 did have some good games and it's my opinion that it also had a few great ones
Old 03 October 2010, 21:13   #40
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Smile

Also Dastardly not trying to be a jerk by the way