English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 13 May 2002, 14:23   #1
Pyromania

Best C Compiler for Amiga is?

Best C Compiler for Amiga is?

I am delving more and more into C programming because I will be getting the sourcecode to the Video Toaster/Flyer soon. What C Compiler does everyone use? Any recommendations? SAS C? Storm C 4? Dice C? GCC? I have heard that Storm C is based on GCC. I know Lightwave 3D Amiga version was written in Manx Aztec C but I am not sure if the sourcecode to it will be released by Newtek. They will release the source to

Toasterpaint 4.0
ChromaFX
Flyer 4.3
Video Toaster 4.3
ToasterCG

Also has anyone tried AmiIDE

http://amide.light-speed.de/

As far as I know this is the only IDE (Integrated Developer Environment) for the Amiga. It currently only supports SAS C per the website. Any help or info would be most appreciated also if anyone would like to join me to work on the Toaster/Flyer sourcecode you are welcome to. I would like to see it support Cybergraphics, new OS 3.9 features and maybe even PowerPC.
Old 14 May 2002, 07:18   #2
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

I use SAS/C 6.58. StormC is also very good.

However DICE is rather crap, & GCC is some lame UNIX compiler from the stone age :-(

So one of the first two would be the go.

What is this about NewTek releasing their sources? Have they done so yet? Where did they upload them to??
Old 14 May 2002, 08:47   #3
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally posted by Minuous
What is this about NewTek releasing their sources? Have they done so yet? Where did they upload them to??
The two people that cleaned up the sources were sitting on them way to long, myself and others complained and Newtek took back the cleaned up source and it will be available shortly. I am planning on doing a website with the sources on it.
Old 14 May 2002, 13:49   #4
Fissuras
Old Luny

I believe StormC is the best compiler, since it is still beeing developed. This is your choice if you intend to do serious development. SAS/C is also a pretty good one, but it is no longer mantained or updated.

Storm C 4.0 *IS* based in Gnu GCC, or so I read somewhere, and someone had uploaded the compiler source code that came with StormC 4 to Aminet (although I can't find it anymore).

GCC is one of the best compilers ever made, if you are entitled to CLI or cross-platform development. You can find at Geek Gadgets a newer version (v2.953 - released last year). GCC is used in allmost all platforms and consoles... Gameboy, GBA, PSX, PSX2, Dreamcast, handhelds... it generates fast code, and it tries to follow and implement the C++ standards and its changes.

*** update ***

I went to HAAGE & PARTNER and here is what they say:

26. February 2001:
GNU Sources of StormC
Our new StormC compiler system version 4 uses a specially adapted version of the GNU projects GCC and CVS. The source code for these projects can be downloaded from our server: GNU Sourcen (ca. 30 MB).

not bad for a lame unix compiler huh?

Last edited by Fissuras; 14 May 2002 at 14:03.
Old 14 May 2002, 15:36   #5
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyromania

The two people that cleaned up the sources were sitting on them way to long, myself and others complained and Newtek took back the cleaned up source and it will be available shortly. I am planning on doing a website with the sources on it.
Good, make sure you tell everyone when that happens :-) !

fissuras, 30Mb for C compiler sources, that seems rather extreme...!
Old 14 May 2002, 17:17   #6
Fissuras
Old Luny

@Minuous : it may be... or may be not, if you consider that it is not the source of a single c compiler for only one plataform, but the souce(s) of an uptodate c++ compiler, which tries to implement all the stuff in the c++ standard, and that is made to run on dozens of different platforms and to generate code for dozens of different processors . So it is a multiple-target multiple platform cross-compiler, besides the fact that GCC contains also a fortran compiler, a pascal compiler, an objective c compiler, a java compiler and some more.

So, is 30Mb excessive to implement all this stuff? It may even be, but it does not mean that the compiler isn't good, nor that it isn't usefull.