English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 13 June 2005, 05:12   #41
jmbattle

Hello, I can confirm that the current version of AmiStart does not successfully load using Kickstart 3.0, simply because the program checks certain resident .library files to be >= v39, yet Kickstart 3.0 reports the internal keymap.library as v37.

This bug was reported to the Amistart programmer, along with a number of other small issues (inability to change screenmodes on-the-fly, for example...), and I'm delighted to announce that a fixed Amistart executable is available. However, I am unsure if I'm allowed to redistribute it currently...

Bullduck, I hope this addresses your problems - it would appear that you are actually using Kickstart 3.0, not Kickstart 3.1. Furthermore, if you do not wish to wait for the Amistart fix, you should be able to use the old startmenu (ScreenTab) for the time-being, as chosen during the initial AIAB setup.

As for the screenshot, yes the contents of the Shell window relfect a colloquial British phrase, used to express one's satisfaction. I guess I'll have to sensor it...whoops!

Cheers,
James
Old 13 June 2005, 15:55   #42
jmbattle

Okay, here is a drop-in replacement for Amistart; simply save this attachment and overwrite the older version in Harddrive/Workbench/WBStartup.

Fixes:
- Now usable under Kickstart 3.0.
- Screennotify.library reimplemented, allowing screenmodes to be changed.
- More control over external images/glyphs.
- Small icons (e.g. folder/application) displayed on taskabr, next to taskname.
- No doubt one or two other tweaks!

Please write an email to Darius Brewka expressing your gratitude should you find this Amistart update useful. Amiga developers are a dying breed, so we must appreciate those few who are still coding for our beloved machines.

Take it easy,
James
Attached Files
File Type: zip AmiStart.zip (129.2 KB, 207 views)

Last edited by jmbattle; 14 June 2005 at 00:41.
Old 13 June 2005, 23:15   #43
BullDuck
Moonstone Roxx

Thx M8, now it works. Great Job with aiab, will Love 2 see U keep making it better and maybe sometime see an updated homepage Thx for the help
Old 07 January 2007, 21:38   #44
vroom6sri

I am a little confused (which is quite easy to do). Is AIAB just a different Workbench layout? I've installed it but I can no longer see the on-screen LEDs that I uses to have. Also, when it loads up games I can see Windows XP (yuk!) flick up as presumably resolutions are being changed. This didn't use to happen. Does AIAB also change some WinUAE settings as well?

I suppose I'm really after something to tart up my WinUAE emulated Workbench. Is there anything out there that just overhauls the preferences and adds some decent utilities whilst keeping my WinUAE settings as they are? AND if I do tart up my WinUAE emulated Workbench are my WHDload games gonna run worse?

Last edited by vroom6sri; 07 January 2007 at 22:04.
Old 08 January 2007, 13:59   #45
Marcuz

Aiab takes advantage of the Picasso96 graphic card emulation, that adds new screen resolutions to Workbench and more colours on screen. this preference need to take over the one selected in the GUI of Winuae about the windowed emulation. so no matter what there it is there, winuae turns in the full screen specified in the Workbennc' preferences.
Old 09 January 2007, 09:18   #46
vroom6sri

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info.

Is there a download out there that will improve my exceptionally basic Workbench environment that I'm emulating with WinUAE and still maintain compatibility and performance? I see that ClassicWB is very popular and looks fantastic but I was a little concerned with the size of the download at over 100mb.
Old 09 January 2007, 12:02   #47
Marcuz

there are lighter versions on the site, all of them, while very complete, don't go past about 30Mb each. i suggest the either the lite or the full version for a classic (as the name says) workbench feeling.