English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 12 November 2018, 07:54   #1
Leandro Jardim

Disposable Hero CD32 (IMG) doesn't load

Like the title says, I downloaded it from the FTP (TOSEC 2018-07-27) but when WinUAE start it hangs trying to load the CD I think, it does not even show the message with the CD inserted on the status bar.

I am using version WinUAE 4.1.0 beta 9, but it happens on previous releases too, both x86 or x64 versions. And I am using CD32 quickstart with full motion cartridge.

I am not sure if these statistics will help to find the solution, but I am giving the statistics in the hope it could help a little:
  • The CD-ROM image is in a ZIP file with 479 MB (compressed).
  • The image itself (IMG) is 535 MB uncompressed.
  • The ZIP file have some other smaller files with extensions CCD, CUE, and SUB inside.

I hope I have written in an easy-to-understand way. If not you can make other questions, please.

Thanks.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 12 November 2018 at 09:06.
Old 12 November 2018, 08:38   #2
Amigajay

WinUAE loads the game fine, so either you have a bad dump, try extracting the zip and loading the cue.
Also why do you have the FMV ticked on quickstart? Try unticking and trying again, developers were annoyed with Commodore because they didnt send any FMV test carts out to devs so games could be incompatible if it was attached, personally i dont think they are, but i didnt own DH so its worth trying.
Old 12 November 2018, 09:00   #3
Leandro Jardim

I did what you suggested and it worked now, so it must be a problem with the decompression of the archive. I didn't know about the history of the FMV cartridge, thanks.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 12 November 2018 at 09:10.
Old 12 November 2018, 09:12   #4
Amigajay

Glad its working now.
Winuae seems fine loading zipped iso files, but doesnt like img files zipped i found.
Old 14 November 2018, 17:24   #5
ceztko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Glad its working now.
Winuae seems fine loading zipped iso files, but doesnt like img files zipped i found.
Mabye it worths pointing a zipped img that doesn't work to Toni?
Old 14 November 2018, 18:29   #6
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceztko View Post
Mabye it worths pointing a zipped img that doesn't work to Toni?
Yes, good idea.

"/Commodore_Amiga/TOSEC/TOSEC-ISO (2018-07-27)/Amiga CD32/Games/[IMG]/Disposable Hero (1994)(Gremlin)(PAL).zip"
Old 14 November 2018, 20:00   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

There is something not working, perhaps I'll fix it later. Maybe. Because using large archived (zip,rar,whatever) CD images is really painfully slow (whole archive needs to be unpacked first). Better convert them to CHD which can work in real time.
Old 14 November 2018, 20:01   #8
DamienD
Banned

Inside this .ZIP is an image made with CloneCD.

With ".BIN & .CUE" files you usually load the ".CUE" file.

With ".IMG" files you usually the ".IMG" file.

With "CloneCD" files you usually load the ".CUE" or ".CCD" file.

I guess as the CloneCD image contains the following; WinUAE is getting confused as to which file to mount from inside the .ZIP:
  • Disposable Hero (1994)(Gremlin)(PAL)[10279461].ccd
  • Disposable Hero (1994)(Gremlin)(PAL)[10279461].cue
  • Disposable Hero (1994)(Gremlin)(PAL)[10279461].img
  • Disposable Hero (1994)(Gremlin)(PAL)[10279461].sub
Old 15 November 2018, 08:42   #9
Foebane
Banned

FMV on Amiga never took off (as far as I know), but I did see the FMV cart for the CD32 performing in my local computer shop: Top Gun and Star Trek 6 had never looked so... digital. The quality really impress me much, aside from the novelty of an Amiga playing movies.
Old 15 November 2018, 17:30   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
I guess as the CloneCD image contains the following; WinUAE is getting confused as to which file to mount from inside the .ZIP:
No, it is different problem (which can be seen in the log, there is 1 or 2 unexpected archive related errors that shouldn't happen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
FMV on Amiga never took off (as far as I know), but I did see the FMV cart for the CD32 performing in my local computer shop: Top Gun and Star Trek 6 had never looked so... digital. The quality really impress me much, aside from the novelty of an Amiga playing movies.
FMV cart played normal VCD discs like any other VCD player, quality or lack of it wasn't fault of FMV cart
Old 15 November 2018, 17:59   #11
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
Video CD took off in Asia for its cheap prices and piracy mainly, even after DVD came out VideoCD was number one for a few years.

But even with Philips blowing $1billion on CDi and pushing Video CD it never really took off in the western world, more a niche market overall like Laserdisc was, carried on for some years after and died a quiet death. i still enjoyed mine for 6-7 years, had a great importer who used to get films before they came out on VHS