English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 03 November 2017, 21:46   #21
headkase

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma776 View Post
Getting to this part of the guide

"Go to "Workbench" then "Prefs" then "Screenmode." Choose the resolution you want with an "ABGR32" mode to match the previous settings we did in the WinUAE RTG Expansion tab. Below the mode selection there are two fields, Width and Height, you'll need to change those to the matching size for the mode. Test your mode before you save it just in case."

I select 1280x1024 as the resolution, now either I test and everything locks up or I click save and all I get is a grey screen/lockup.

Am I missing something? Winuae 3.5.0 x64 Using all the correct roms as listed in the guide apart from getting UAEGFX to work os4.1 boots just fine.
The guide as I originally wrote it used WinUAE 3.3.0. I actually have 3.4.0 in portable mode with a Cyberstorm system as a turn-key archive. The portable folder is completely self-contained, independent of all other files, and can be archived/unarchived without fuss.

I would say first of all try the guide again with 3.3.0 or 3.4.0 (and learn how to do portable mode for it so you can make your own turn-key system). I had issues with trying to do the steps on 3.5.0 so there could be some issue hiding in there somewhere - 3.4.0 works for me though. I plan on redoing the guide when WinUAE 3.6.0 comes out, from scratch.

Also, this guide is written for the Blizzard PPC configuration. Before Update 1 for AmigaOS 4.1 FE that was chosen because it gives you the maximum amount of memory that real Amigas had. Since Update 1 however you can add "NoRAMPager" to your bootloader configuration and it will then use Z3 memory as main RAM. Because of general better-low-level-support I've since moved onto the Cyberstorm-based system and with NoRAMPager my emulated AmigaOS 4.1 has just under 900MB (vs. a max of 256MB Blizzard and 128MB Cyberstorm before Update 1) available for system use. If you want to try to replicate such an install then make sure to use the 64-bit version of WinUAE as the 32-bit version WILL choke on it.

Last edited by headkase; 04 November 2017 at 03:53.
Old 06 November 2017, 22:40   #22
Saghalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by headkase View Post
Originally Posted by enigma776 View Post
Getting to this part of the guide

"Go to "Workbench" then "Prefs" then "Screenmode." Choose the resolution you want with an "ABGR32" mode to match the previous settings we did in the WinUAE RTG Expansion tab. Below the mode selection there are two fields, Width and Height, you'll need to change those to the matching size for the mode. Test your mode before you save it just in case."

I select 1280x1024 as the resolution, now either I test and everything locks up or I click save and all I get is a grey screen/lockup.

Am I missing something? Winuae 3.5.0 x64 Using all the correct roms as listed in the guide apart from getting UAEGFX to work os4.1 boots just fine.
Having the same issue.

So what you are saying, I can use the same configuration except that I can switch out the PPC rom and it should work ok?

Last edited by DH; 14 November 2017 at 17:18. Reason: Deleted direct signature
Old 15 November 2017, 06:03   #23
headkase

You should be using the UAE RTG Zorro III hardware in your configuration. The III gives you the ability to give it the higher amounts of RAM larger resolutions need, and being a UAE RTG it's intended to integrate well. Whatever mode you choose for the III then also choose that mode inside your emulated environment. The pixel order needs to be right or you'll get dots all over your display. Don't worry about choosing the wrong pixel order though, that shouldn't matter much, just try to get the Zorro III graphics working to even begin with.

An important point is to try to create your configuration around a Cyberstorm PPC system. That starts off with 128MB of RAM but with OS 4.1FE Update 1 you can now give your emulated environment lots of RAM. The Amiga 4000 Cyberstorm configuration has better low-level support in UAE so it should be preferred if possible.

Once you do get to installing Update 1 then *do not* get it through AmiUpdate. Instead go the the Hyperion website, log in with your details, and download that archive of Update 1. Extract that archive to somewhere the Amiga emulated OS can see it and run it locally to do the update. Then you're looking for "commandline NoRAMPager" (search this site for those terms) to enable the extra RAM. The reason to manually download Update 1 is that a 128MB Cyberstorm Amiga doesn't have enough memory to have both the download in memory and the installer running at the same time. Once Update 1 is installed though and you have your memory increased with NoRAMPager then I would assume that future Updates from Hyperion could then be installed with AmiUpdate.

And don't worry too much about the ROMs, the ROMs you'll need are the Cyberstorm PPC ROM and a Kickstart 3.1 ROM. You can buy Amiga Forever and that will give you legal access to both those ROMs and a few others, just don't get the Value version as that one is bare-bones and doesn't have much firmware. The Plus version has everything you need.

Last edited by headkase; 15 November 2017 at 06:21.