English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 14 November 2018, 15:53   #1
Daedalus

ISA Slot Hard Drive Mount (A2/3/4000)

Has there been such a thing as a blank ISA card with mounting holes for a hard drive? I'm thinking a blank PCB with a bracket for securing to the case, so that a hard drive can easily be mounted in an A2000 (or an extra drive in a 3000 or 4000). I currently have a hard drive mounted on a GVP Impact HC-8 card, but both the SCSI controller and the RAM aren't being used, so it's a bit of a waste.

If such things aren't (easily) available, would there be any interest in having a batch made? Boards that size aren't particularly cheap, but not crazy money either.
Old 14 November 2018, 17:15   #2
BLUELiGHT

I've been looking for something like that for some time without luck.

I have an A2000 with 5.25" + dual 3.5" floppy drives and don't know where to put the MFM HD used by the XT bridgeboard card.

An ISA slot bracket for the HD would be a perfect solution!
Old 14 November 2018, 19:49   #3
ptyerman

Something like that should be easy enough to make from a bit of plywood or solid wood surely!
Or print something off with a 3D printer.
Old 14 November 2018, 20:38   #4
nogginthenog
Amigan

PCI cards use the same dimensions as ISA cards I think?
Google "pci card hard drive mount".
Old 15 November 2018, 00:01   #5
Daedalus

Yeah, it probably would be pretty simple to 3D print or otherwise fashion a bracket, but I thought a properly fitting card would be a neat solution, and could also provide power for the drive in case there aren't any spare PSU connectors.

As for PCI, the rear bracket is the same, but the slot is different and the PCB is on the opposite side. The idea was to mount using both the slot and the bracket at the rear to give solid support, rather than just the bracket.
Old 15 November 2018, 08:48   #6
hyami

I think it's a good idea. Just make sure you have enough mounting holes to make sure you could use 2.5" and 3.5" harddrives. For Amiga's with a bridgeboard it would be nice to be able to put two harddrives onto one card.
Old 15 November 2018, 20:50   #7
nogginthenog
Amigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
As for PCI, the rear bracket is the same, but the slot is different and the PCB is on the opposite side. The idea was to mount using both the slot and the bracket at the rear to give solid support, rather than just the bracket.
Ah of course

I use an eSATA to IDE adapter that just attaches to the bracket. It weighs almost nothing.
Old 21 November 2018, 14:47   #8
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
This would be possible by using somebody like PCBWay.

But instead of populating the board with tracks/pads etc just put in the holes you need for the drive and a pci backplate maybe, ensure the pitch is correct and get it fabbed up! probably cost very little.

I also found a weird ISA board carrier with two 60mm fans on it? something I had lurking for years and I stupidly tossed it in the trash. Wrongly assumed I would never need it, but now would fit nicely in an A1500.

I will put up a picture of it in a bit. I must have had plans at some point as I took a picture of it years ago.
Old 21 November 2018, 15:35   #9
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroBlaster View Post
This would be possible by using somebody like PCBWay.

But instead of populating the board with tracks/pads etc just put in the holes you need for the drive and a pci backplate maybe, ensure the pitch is correct and get it fabbed up! probably cost very little.
Yep, that was pretty much exactly my plan. Alas, the tracks make no difference to cost on a simple PCB, it's the physical size of the board that determines the cost, not the complexity (up to a point, anyway). I'll get a quote at some point, but I would guess such boards could cost £5 or more each in a small batch. Plus brackets, which aren't as common as they used to be in ISA format and are probably a few quid each too... I'll have a look once I get some more urgent stuff out of the way.
Old 21 November 2018, 22:46   #10
nogginthenog
Amigan

If possible I suggest you replace your drives with solid state devices. I appreciate this is not easy with SCSI. I'm in the same position :-(
Old 22 November 2018, 11:14   #11
Daedalus

I'm quite comfortable with all the positives and negatives of mechanical hard drives In fact, it's a mechanical IDE drive that I want this bracket for personally (albeit attached to the SCSI bus via an adaptor).