English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 17 January 2011, 17:05   #1
mantaatje

Floppy disk CD-ROM to 3,5"? HELP!

Can anyone tell me how to transfer a game from CD-ROM to 3,5" DD, so I can run it on my A 500? Does it matter if my PC runs on Windows or Linux? I don't really know anything about computers, so if someone could explain the process to me in simple terms, that would be really great!

Old 17 January 2011, 17:12   #2
thomas

You cannot write to Amiga floppy disks on a PC. You need to transfer the files to the Amiga first and then use the Amiga to write them to floppy disk.

This allows you to transfer files between Amiga and PC with a serial nullmodem cable: http://www.amigaforever.com/ae/
Old 18 January 2011, 09:28   #3
LuMan
Amigan - an' lovin' it!!

You can also use PC2Am to transfer using parallel or seriel cables. It's not particularly quick, but I've been using it for about 15 years and it's reliable enough for most things. It comes with an Amiga-based program and a PC-based program; run them both and connect your choice of cable (parallel is quicker in this case). I'm sure you can find a version after a quick Google on the 'net - I'm writing this from work, so I can't upload a version, I'm afraid .

Also, bear in mind that if you haven't got a hard drive on your Amiga you'll be in for a fair bit of disk-swapping. AND be sure that you can unpack the file from the CD to the Amiga. If they're in .adf or .dms format you'll need the requisite writing software to make actual disks from them (this will be a total ball-ache without a hard drive!).

Good luck - let us know how you get on (and what your high scores are... hehe )
Old 19 January 2011, 14:53   #4
mantaatje

Floppy disk

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll go looking for some cables and let you know how I get on after that.

I don't have a hard drive, but I find that the disk-swopping contributes to the retro feeling, after doing it for 20 years.